Author Topic: Smoked Kale Chips  (Read 888 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Smoked Kale Chips
« Reply #-1 on: September 24, 2014, 01:02:42 PM »
Spuds posted a recipe for some Kale Chips a bit ago, and I've been wanting to try them ever since! 

James and I stopped by a farm stand over the weekend, and they had some little packages for sale, so we scooped one up along with some fresh kale and other veg.  They were $4.50 for a 1/2 ounce bag, and were just BLAH.  No real seasoning to speak of, and just kind of blase texture.

I told James "We can do better than this!"  I waited a day or two too long to get my butt in gear and toast some up, so mine had started to turn a little yellow.   Not to be dissuaded, I fired up the MAK, spritzed them with a little olive oil, and sprinkled with salt.   

This is them after about an hour on SMOKE mode.

They were done after about two hours.  WAAAAAY better than the stuff we bought!   Nice smokey salty flavor, and just so crisp and tasty! 

Next time I will make sure to cut out more of the 'spine' of the leaves-- those got kind of a woody texture that wasn't entirely pleasant.  :) 

Can't wait to try some more varieties of these!   I'm pulling the overgrown zuchinni plants out of one of my raised beds so I can get my fall Kale planted soon!   I know we'll be eating it-- James scarfed these chips down like nobody's business! :) 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Smoked Kale Chips
« on: September 24, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
Those look great, will have to give that a try.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »
That sounds pretty cool.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
Looks good Kat, were they on smoke mode the whole 2 hours? Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »
there are different types of Kale so maybe thats the spine issue? I do it in oven and havent had a problem with them drying fully,and yes,they are yummy!Just cut off they leafy part from the stem below,dont do the whole thing.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »
Looks good Kat, were they on smoke mode the whole 2 hours? Don

Yup!   Ended up with a fun smoky flavor, for sure!  Could probably just as easily do an hour on smoke and crank it up to crisp them faster, but I was in no rush and figured I'd play around with it. :) 

there are different types of Kale so maybe thats the spine issue? I do it in oven and havent had a problem with them drying fully,and yes,they are yummy!Just cut off they leafy part from the stem below,dont do the whole thing.

That's a good point, these had pretty thick spines to them, I'm sure there are different types that are a little less woody.   I probably got overzealous and tried to use too much of the leaves too. :) 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »
Gonna have to give this a try.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:54:22 AM »
Great post - have to try this. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #