Author Topic: PBC as a cold smoker  (Read 57501 times)

Offline joe2tro

PBC as a cold smoker
« Reply #-1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »
It was predicted to be cool and overcast this morning, so I went to Costco and got some Atlantic salmon yesterday.  Dry brined it overnight.
This morning, I lit the Amazin Smoker Tube stuffed with cherry pellets and placed it in the coal basket.  After a pellicle had formed, I placed the Salmon pieces on the Pamed grill, covered the barrel and two of the holes and let it smoke for two hours.  After two hours, I put the salmon ( still on the grate ) on a foil lined rimmed cookie sheet and placed in a 210 F oven for two hours to get the internal temp up to 150 for 30 min.
Quite tasty.  Anybody tried this with coals in the basket and if so how many?  I don't want to over cook the fish - just enough to be safe.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: PBC as a cold smoker
« on: February 19, 2015, 08:07:35 PM »
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline joe2tro

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:41:20 PM »
Good point.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:26:09 AM »
Sounds good! :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline joe2tro

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
Came across a comment from Meathead that it is not a good idea to cook salmon in the PBC as the fish oils will contaminate the drum and once that happens you can't get rid of the odor.  The recommendation was to use a dedicated smoker for fish.  Makes sense to me, so I will stay with my method of smoking only and not cooking fish in the PBC.  It does work fantastic as a cold smoker for cheese, etc.  The increase in internal drum temperature was about 20 F above ambient.  Hope this helps anyone considering the PBC as a cold smoker.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32