Author Topic: Knife Sharpening  (Read 58465 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Knife Sharpening
« Reply #-1 on: June 06, 2015, 09:13:59 AM »
One of the most important things we cookers have are our knives.  We have some folks here on the forum who are really experts in this area and have demonstrated their knowledge at a couple of the Gatherings.

Yesterday, I received the most recent issue of Cook's Illustrated, July & August 2015, and it has a great article on knife sharpening and knife sharpeners.  As many of you know, there are basically two degree angles of sharpening kitchen knives: the Western is 20* and the Asian is 15*.  The latter is thinner and sharper.  The majority of knives we buy have the 20* angle; however, some European manufacturers including Wusthof, Henckels, Messermeister and Mercer have launched their own 15-degree knives and sharpeners.  In fact, Wusthof and Henckels have discontinued their 20-degree knives.

From everything I read there is a tremendous difference in the sharpness of the two angles.

With this knowledge many people, including myself, want to convert our 20-degree knives to 15-degrees.  Cook's Illustrated tested nine models of knife sharpeners to evaluate.  After indepth testing, to include using MIT's high-powered laboratory microscope to see the edges in great detail, they rated various knife sharpeners.

The top manual and the top electric were both Chef's Choice:  The manual was Chef Choice's Pronto Manual Diamond Hone Asian Knife Sharpener ($49.95) and the electric was Chef's Choice Trizor XV Knife Sharpener ($149.95).  From what I read the electric is the way I want to go. There seems to be numerous advantages to the electric model if you have to  take a nick out of your knife and also converts easier from 20-degrees to 15-degrees.

I recommend going to your nearest news stand and getting this July-August issue of Cook's Illustrated if you are interested in making sure your knives are in the best shape possible.

I'm far from an expert, more of an intermediate novice, in this area.  We have some folks here who are true experts. So, take my comments from my level of knowledge and check things out for yourself.

Dee

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:20:06 PM by deestafford »
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Knife Sharpening
« on: June 06, 2015, 12:10:48 PM »
Great information, Dee. Most of my knives are Shun and they include free sharpening service. BUT, I have to pack them up and send them off for at least a couple weeks, plus there is the shipping cost both ways. If this sharpener can do the 15* angle, it sounds like a great investment.

Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 12:17:55 PM »
I am so ghetto when it comes to sharpening knives...........I just sharpen em on the bottom of a coffee mug.....it has the unglazed ring and my knives can cut the mustard so to speak.........................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Knife Sharpening
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »
The most dangerous tool in the kitchen is a dull knife or The Smoke sharpening knives on a coffee mug.

I have all 20 degree knives I think. This interests me. Thanks for posting.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 06:26:15 PM »
I have the Henckels, they an older set. How do I confirm the correct sharpening angle?
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pappymn

Knife Sharpening
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »

I have the Henckels, they an older set. How do I confirm the correct sharpening angle?

Email them. That's what I did. Only 90% sure I remember the answer :P
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline highball

• South of Seattle
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »
I have been using the Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener for over a year now and it is the best sharpener for the price that I have used. I can set the angle from 15* to 30*, it has variable speed control and the belts go from 220 to 6000 grit plus a leather strop belt. About 5 minutes and a knife goes from no edge to shaving sharp.
Also shown is my Kalamazoo 1x42 with a leather belt.  This thread got me interested in belt sharpening .   http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/776367/tp/1/

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Weber 26
Blackstone Griddle
Green Egg
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Performer
24" Discada
RT-700 Bull

Best Regards,
 Mike

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 07:55:23 PM »
Thanks highball. Took a look at the Ken Onion - looks very interesting. I might pull the trigger on this one.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:17:05 PM by drholly »
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline highball

• South of Seattle
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 08:08:16 PM »
If you get one make sure its the Ken Onion Work Sharp, it is a huge upgrade to the original
Weber 26
Blackstone Griddle
Green Egg
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Performer
24" Discada
RT-700 Bull

Best Regards,
 Mike

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 08:17:48 PM »
If you get one make sure its the Ken Onion Work Sharp, it is a huge upgrade to the original

Thanks for the heads up!
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Knife Sharpening
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 08:20:26 PM »

I have the original work sharp. It does to a great job
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 12:17:03 AM »

Email them. That's what I did. Only 90% sure I remember the answer :P

Pappy is wise ;)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 09:29:23 AM »
I have seen the Ken Orion and it really looks good. Cabela's carries them. I almost bought one and never got around to it. I think I will go with the Chef's Choice because of the simplicity. The Orion has a great video and it made to more as bigger knives such as hunting and machetes and even other things that need sharpening.  If a person needs more than just kitchen knives it maybe the  way to go.  Tee and Art had some great comments on knife sharpening a couple of years ago. Maybe they will come online and give their opinions soon.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 05:40:13 PM »
I am so ghetto when it comes to sharpening knives...........I just sharpen em on the bottom of a coffee mug.....it has the unglazed ring and my knives can cut the mustard so to speak.........................

Ok sounds great Smoke. How close is your local hospital and do you have medical insurance?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »
I have seen the Ken Orion and it really looks good. Cabela's carries them. I almost bought one and never got around to it. I think I will go with the Chef's Choice because of the simplicity. The Orion has a great video and it made to more as bigger knives such as hunting and machetes and even other things that need sharpening.  If a person needs more than just kitchen knives it maybe the  way to go.  Tee and Art had some great comments on knife sharpening a couple of years ago. Maybe they will come online and give their opinions soon.  Dee

Advice?...Sharper is better. :D

Seriously - the Work Sharp is a good - albeit un-orthodox way to sharpen. The Ken Onion unit is nice, but it was a lot extra...and I don't remember what the extra features were.
If you prefer a manually ( non-electric ) tool - The Apex knife sharpener is awesome. Now, you can get a MUCH cheaper version available all over e-bay. The difference is the stones. The stones that come with the Apex are excellent quality. The cheap ones...are cheap.
I recommend you buy the knock off sharpener, and then order the Apex stones. You will find that once you practice a little - you can sharpen any blade to a razor edge.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401