Author Topic: Another List: Soup Specialities From Each State  (Read 38918 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Another List: Soup Specialities From Each State
« Reply #-1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:15:16 AM »
With the onset of winter, here is a list of soups from each state.  I will say that the soup selection from North Carolina and Connecticut will not pass my lips, even if it was free.  And, I certainly won't waste my time making it at home.  On the other hand, there are some good ideas for a "super winter".

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/reviewsandreservations/soup-specialities-from-every-state/ss-AAfqzgG

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Another List: Soup Specialities From Each State
« on: November 02, 2015, 08:01:21 AM »
Well they all look good to me except for the beet soup :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:25:48 AM »
Strange choices that I would have never guessed..Lobster soup from Pennsylvania??? I would have thought chicken  & dumplings..oh well, what do I know.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »

I agree with you.  I have tasted a beet soup in Europe.  Didn't care for it.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/84450/ukrainian-red-borscht-soup/

Actually one of my favourites. Come to visit and I will Make it for you ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 02:03:07 PM »
Ah, lists  ::)

Some have some regional credibility and many seem highly contrived in that respect.  However, I do love soup in cool and cold weather.  I make a lot of chili and sometimes brew up a rich beef stew with stock and plenty of lean roast chunks and whatever veggies I have on hand.  A pan of cornbread goes with just about anything.

One of our local Chinese buffets makes a pretty decent hot and sour soup that really comes to life if I add just a wee dram of their hot chili sauce to it.

The older I get the more my bones need warming  ;D

Hub 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
I love soup year round. And I count chili as a soup... ;) I make a pretty mean chicken wild rice, French onion, and tomato basil. The beet soup posted looks interesting - never tried it with sausage - thanks CDN Smoker! Unfortunately, my Scandinavian wife is not into food experiments, so I have to limit my new ideas to when she is out of town...:(
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 02:26:06 PM »
  I personally think the crab soup at Felix's Fish Camp is better than that at the Blue Gill although both are excellent and very similar. Both places are owned by the Coopers. 
 Kerry and I go to Felix's just for the crab soup on occasion.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
Some of the choices seem a bit far-fetched - I never would have guessed Kansas for Tom Yum Gai or Iowa for won ton soup. In Iowa, however, it doesn't surprise me that they call it "won ton soup with dumplings." Kinda redundant since won tons are dumplings. I guess they wanted us to get the point even if they missed it.

I make a lot of soups but my fave is probably "kitchen sink soup." The ingredients depend on what's in the fridge and pantry and my mood of the moment. Just made one today with some chicken, chorizo, onion, garlic, green pepper, corn, Rotel, huitlacoche, Hatch & other chiles, garbanzos, pinto beans, masa, various seasonings, and some other stuff. Mmmm.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 04:37:26 PM »
Some of the choices seem a bit far-fetched - I never would have guessed Kansas for Tom Yum Gai or Iowa for won ton soup. In Iowa, however, it doesn't surprise me that they call it "won ton soup with dumplings." Kinda redundant since won tons are dumplings. I guess they wanted us to get the point even if they missed it.

I make a lot of soups but my fave is probably "kitchen sink soup." The ingredients depend on what's in the fridge and pantry and my mood of the moment. Just made one today with some chicken, chorizo, onion, garlic, green pepper, corn, Rotel, huitlacoche, Hatch & other chiles, garbanzos, pinto beans, masa, various seasonings, and some other stuff. Mmmm.

I hadn't figured you for a "smutty guy".... :D You like it...so - what are your favorite ways to use it?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:08:19 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »
There was a great restaurant in the Twin Cities - yeah... it was vegetarian / health food and the veggie burgers were horrid. but they made the BEST soups. I loved going there for the soups.

Ka Honu - I am with you on the everything in the fridge / pantry soup - some of the best!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muralboy

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 05:22:30 PM »

Hmmmm, let's see.  You are in the middle of the heartland, crops all around you.  What's the first soup you can think of - Won Ton of course!!! 
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »
I agree with you on the North Carolina soup, didn't look like anything I would eat and I will not touch anything with beets in it. I have been to the restaurant in Jackson Hole, WY, but did not have the chili. The Alabama soup looked good, but it is in Spanish Fort, not Spanish Port.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 12:59:20 AM »
I hadn't figured you for a "smutty guy".... :D You like it...so - what are your favorite ways to use it?

We classy folks don't call it "corn smut" anymore; "corn truffles" sounds so much better (and doesn't prompt SWMBO to immediate nausea). Don't use it often but it adds an "earthy" flavor to soups, eggs, and garlic/pepper/veggie dishes.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 05:02:07 AM »
Strange choices that I would have never guessed..Lobster soup from Pennsylvania??? I would have thought chicken  & dumplings..oh well, what do I know.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Never would have thought it either.  Snapper (turtle) soup is about a classic here as anything. It isn't as bad as it looks and sounds, but I personally cannot eat more than a cup of it at a time, and that is with some extra sherry vinegar on top.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759