Author Topic: First brisket s*cked  (Read 36982 times)

Offline kendec65

First brisket s*cked
« Reply #-1 on: December 14, 2015, 06:04:08 AM »
OK-could use a little knowledge here. Tried to make my first brisket on my Rec Tec and
was so excited till I tasted it. Flavor and smoke were great, but was tough like rubber.
I cooked it at 225 till I reached an internal temp of 155 and I wrapped it, added a small
amount of apple juice and cooked it till I reached 195. Thing was so tough my wife could
of ripped her teeth out. My guess is it needed more time but I was worried I would over
cook it. Thoughts?

Ken

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: First brisket s*cked
« on: December 14, 2015, 07:34:55 AM »
Brisket is a tough meat to get right. Also the quality of the brisket has an effect too.

Personally every flat I have cooked has not come out as good as I wanted it to.

The only time I have made brisket that turned out good was when I made a full packer.

The two keys I have learned is that sometimes a brisket will be ready when it is ready. Even though the temp was at 195F how did the probe feel when you pushed it in? Should feel like going into warm butter. If not then the brisket is not ready yet.

And always slice across the grain or it will be chewy regardless done or not.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »
Undercooked for sure.  You cannot gauge brisket doneness by internal temp (though tit can be used as a guide to start checking).  When you can slide a skewer into the thickest point in the flat and it goes in like a knife through room temp butter it is done.  All briskets are different, and the final temp can depend on cook temp, grade of beef, size of the brisket and even just the finickiness of the individual cut.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:39:52 AM »
I start checking the brisket to see how tender it is starting at 195F.  The last time I cooked one, it was tender at 201F when I wrapped and let rest in the oven for an hour before slicing.  Time before that it was 207F. If you over cook brisket you can always use it for some pulled beef, but it sounds like it just needed a little more time.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:51:33 AM by akruckus »
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:31:10 AM »
I'm just a backyard jack and I have smoked only 4 briskets - 3 packers and 1 flat.  Each one turned out.
I use a technique that I found online.  The reason I use it is because it allows wrap the brisket in foil and finish it either in the smoker or in the oven (I finished one there).

I cook in the smoker till I get to 175;  double wrap tightly in foil adding some beef broth from bullion cubes;  put back in at 250 until it reaches 205;  if it passes the skewer test, I take it out and open the foil to let it rest, waiting till it cools to around 145 before slicing.

It is important to get over 200* but you have to go by the probe test, too.   After that the MAIN THING is - you have to be very patient and let it rest...sitting there in its own juice until it cools down.  If you don't let it rest, you will lose all the juices as soon as you slice it.  It will be dry and tough.

You have probably done this step already, but just in case you haven't, do some more reading & research online.
I'm here to tell you that when you find the technique that works for you and that RecTec (I'd love to have one), you will absolutely love the results. 
I don't think I'll go back to cooking butts.

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:55:58 AM »
OK-could use a little knowledge here. Tried to make my first brisket on my Rec Tec and
was so excited till I tasted it. Flavor and smoke were great, but was tough like rubber.
I cooked it at 225 till I reached an internal temp of 155 and I wrapped it, added a small
amount of apple juice and cooked it till I reached 195. Thing was so tough my wife could
of ripped her teeth out. My guess is it needed more time but I was worried I would over
cook it. Thoughts?

Ken

As Jack pointed out, the resting of large cuts of meat is very important for moisture retention.

And, while temperature is part of the equation, we tend to over estimate the importance of temperature, as opposed to time. Partially because we have all believed that we "cook to IT - not time". And - this impartially true. But, always allow the "probe test" to be the final word in determining the doneness of the meat.

I have cooked briskets, and Boston Butts - several at a time, side by side - from the same butcher - that would finish at different temperatures.
So, I keep a package of the long cocktail toothpicks ( like the ones used to put 3 olives in a martini..on one stick... ;) ) in my kit of cooking gear.

Interestingly - a slender piece of wood and if it slides in and out of the meat like warm butter - tell me more about the meat's doneness/tenderness than   my most expensive thermometers. ;) :)
As much as we all like technology, and have come to depend on it - fire management and the understanding of the physics connected to our cooking will always be our best guide.
Meats such as brisket, boston butts, shoulder clod,  - and others which have a good deal of connective tissues, silver skin, hard fats, and tendon - need longer to achieve tenderness because it is time AT temperature  which dissolve those tough parts in our meat which allows the muscle to be moisturized - and "relaxed" or tender.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:04:45 AM »
While I have messed up everything at least once, I can humbly say I have not done a bad brisket. The key is checking for tenderness instead of resorting on temps. The longer the rest the better....I think that is the key. I have rested them for up to two hours and they were like butter. Adding a little water pan for extra moisture during the cook never hurts...................just get back in the saddle Cowboy and your next briskie will be a good one  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline KyNola

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 09:25:18 AM »
In the end it all depends on the cow.  The lesser grade of meat, the more cooking time it will require.  The higher grade of meat, the less cooking time it will require.  Your method of cooking the brisket sounds just fine.  You simply got a tough brisket.  Try again and get a better grade of brisket.  Your results will be different I am sure.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »
In the end it all depends on the cow.  The lesser grade of meat, the more cooking time it will require.  The higher grade of meat, the less cooking time it will require.  Your method of cooking the brisket sounds just fine.  You simply got a tough brisket.  Try again and get a better grade of brisket.  Your results will be different I am sure.

Larry hits on a point worth expounding on: The higher the grade of meat - the better the marbling - or fat distribution. Intramuscular fat in particular. That is the fat that brings flavor and moisture to the cook.

Here is a link to a very detailed explanation about meat grading-

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading/
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »
In my experience, brisket needs 3 things.

Time in cooker

Go by probe tender not internal temp to test doneness

Time under a blanket in a cooler.

I've cooked briskets that were probe tender at 205, others went as far as 215.

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 11:13:43 AM »
cook it. Thoughts?

Ken
I just had the same problem.I sliced it up and put in crock pot with broth a few hours....Viola,tender as can be.So if you are a schmuck like newbie me,these things can be rescued until we all make it to nirvana "Tommie" level.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
In my experience, brisket needs 3 things.

Time in cooker

Go by probe tender not internal temp to test doneness

Time under a blanket in a cooler.

I've cooked briskets that were probe tender at 205, others went as far as 215.

I follow the same rules and if it works for me it must work for everybody . :D
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 01:10:19 PM »
I would also like to add that I follow Chris Marks method of Jaccarding the flat. This will also help because you are "interrupting" the pattern of the connective tissues even before it hits the smoker............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline kendec65

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »
Thank you all for the great pointers! I'm gonna try some chicken breasts and corn on the cob tomorrow for my wife-can't screw that up to bad.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 07:23:13 PM »
You got some great advice there.  Now on to "bite-thru" skin ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC