Author Topic: Basic understanding of cooking, check, now for before and after  (Read 32736 times)

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
Basic understanding of cooking, check, now for before and after
« Reply #-1 on: February 06, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »
Ok, after much reading and a good amount of experimenting, I think I can say I have a basic knowledge of smoking - roasting - grilling...  But there is oh so much more to it, that I'm still fighting with feeling efficient at, so if anyone has any links or helpful advice on the following, I'd really appreciate any info:

vacuum packing - what is the benefit of doing it before freezing raw beef, pork or/and chicken

Vacuum packing - what about the same cooked...  Basically trying to figure out if I need one, most of our cooked meat gets eaten in a week, but I wouldn't mind cooking more and saving for quick meals.

Grill prep area - I tend to make a big mess in the kitchen and patio table prepping meat before and after cook...  Has anyone bought or built a functional outdoor prep station for use with cooking?

Freezing and thawing meat - a local store had a great deal on pork picnics, so I bought two big ones on Tuesday, but couldn't cook till Sunday so I stuck them both in freezer and on Thursday put a one in fridge for Sunday cook, well it's Saturday night and it's still frozen in center....   What are the best freezing / thawing procedures for pork and whole chickens (beef I will only buy when ready to cook in a day or two)?

I would appreciate any info..

Daze
TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Welcome from Ohio!!!
Vacuum packing or sealing keeps the food, raw or cooked from getting freezer burn and it will keep a lot longer. The oldest I remember eating was some fish that was packed in water, vacuum sealed and frozen; it was 3 years old and after thawing and frying it was just as good as fresh.

To me the best way to thaw anything is in the fridge.

I do all my food prep inside in the kitchen and carry it outside as needed. I am in the air conditioning in the summer and no flies. Hope this helps! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:52:58 PM »
Stainless steel hotel pans and jelly roll pans are a god send for prep. Lot of people here put frozen meat on the Smoker with no problem. Vacuum sealing is a must.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Jaxon

Re: Basic understanding of cooking, check, now for before and after
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »
I believe vacuum sealed food will last much longer in the freezer without freezer burn. 
If you pull stuff from the freezer and it is full of ice crystals, it's pretty much over.  Vacuum sealing prevents that.
Do a Google search for freezer burn and one for the benefits of vacuum sealing. 

It won't be necessary if you are only going to freeze for a week or 2, just remove as much of the air as possible from the wrapped food.

Just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:38:37 AM »
Welcome from Lower Alabama.
Vacuum sealing is the best!  Get a good unit though (look on here for recommendations). I have one of the lower end units and it only lasted a year before it started having sealing issues with the heat strips.

If you just want to checkout sealing for cheap buy one of the ZipLock hand pumps and some bags.
These things are great and the bag can be resealed  a time or two. They even make an electric pump for $18 but it's not necessary.

I have a basic  grill prep area, I perfer to use it because it's so easy to cleanup after. And it gets me outside where I would rather be. We have a long grilling season here so I think it's worth the effort. In fact I am about to expand it some starting today.
If cost is an issue learn where to look for deals at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.. They always have sections in the stores where they put the mark down items.  They let stuff go really cheap when restocking or something has a little chip.
Think outside the box!
 I have a friend that built a protable bar useing bamboo flooring as the top. Split bamboo for the front. Hardwood scraps for the trim. The thing Looks awesome to say the least.
Granite shops will cut you deals on small pieces of leftovers. Remember they sell whole slabs when someone buys a kithens worth and there is very often lots of pieces left over. A medium piece to them is 3'x4' Blacks and Browns are easily mixed without showing if there is a little separation between them.
The cost comes if you want these cut to size ( that saw blade cost $1500) so it helps to build the cabinet to fit the top most times.
 Sams Club will has a commercial kitchen area where you can find all kinds of cool stuff. Bar rags, large plastic cutting boards, large stainless mixing bowls etc...
Walmart has a sale isle where you can often find off season pot pans , bowls and who knows what for cheap...
 Also if you can find a commercial kitchen fixture shop in the area they may have good deals in there as well.

Cooking skills... There are lots of good shows on the tube these days, lots of good books and DVD s out there. Americas test kitchen is a good one , Arron Frankins book is good and the Steven the Weber guy has a couple good books. Many , many more ....
 Don't be afraid to ask questions of those on here and others. People enjoy sharing cooking methods. If an Aunt or grandparent cooks something you like ask them! They won't be around forever and spending that time with them might turn out more valuable in more ways than expected.
 In my case my son went to culinary school and has taught me so much and helped us spend time together.
 Ok I'm off the soap box now...

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:45:10 AM »
Ok, after much reading and a good amount of experimenting, I think I can say I have a basic knowledge of smoking - roasting - grilling...  But there is oh so much more to it, that I'm still fighting with feeling efficient at, so if anyone has any links or helpful advice on the following, I'd really appreciate any info:

vacuum packing - what is the benefit of doing it before freezing raw beef, pork or/and chicken

The idea behind vacuum packing is to remove as much air as possible. A protein that is frozen will not compress as easy and the bag is less likely to conform to the shape of the protein. Thus less air will be removed. Air is what allows freezer burn to take place.

Vacuum packing - what about the same cooked...  Basically trying to figure out if I need one, most of our cooked meat gets eaten in a week, but I wouldn't mind cooking more and saving for quick meals.

A cooked meal is really only good for a few days in the fridge. Vacuum packing can extend that time by weeks. Freezing a cooked meal can extend that time for months if vacuum packed.

Grill prep area - I tend to make a big mess in the kitchen and patio table prepping meat before and after cook...  Has anyone bought or built a functional outdoor prep station for use with cooking?

There are many pre-fab grill prep stations online and instructions on how to build one. A simple foldable outdoor table will work too. First you need to decide how much functionality you need. They have some with portable sinks that can get pricey.

Freezing and thawing meat - a local store had a great deal on pork picnics, so I bought two big ones on Tuesday, but couldn't cook till Sunday so I stuck them both in freezer and on Thursday put a one in fridge for Sunday cook, well it's Saturday night and it's still frozen in center....   What are the best freezing / thawing procedures for pork and whole chickens (beef I will only buy when ready to cook in a day or two)?

The ideal way to thaw is the way your doing it in the fridge. But when pressed for time I like to place them in a bucket of cold water. Then check the water and condition of what your thawing every 15 minutes to make sure the water is still cold. The surface contact of the liquid will quickly and evenly defrost the meat and keep it cold so bacteria growth does not happen. We don't want anyone getting sick.

I would appreciate any info..

Daze
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Daze823

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »
Thank you everyone for your responses, I realize that I asked a lot of questions for one post... 

Muebe, are you saying vacuum packing extends the life in fridge?  I only considered freezing, so that info (if I'm reading correct) is new to me, and would be worth it.

Tig, thank you for the clearance isle idea, I'll check them out.  I'd like to build something custom, but maybe I can buy some pieces to incorporate.  I want an outdoor prep area because I agree, I cook outside because I like to be outside, and I have lots of outdoor space that I want to make functional.

Also, as for defrosting in the fridge, is there a standard?  Such as one day in fridge for every 3 lbs?

As for vacuum sealing, are chamber vacuums generally considered better?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 01:58:30 PM »
Thank you everyone for your responses, I realize that I asked a lot of questions for one post... 

Muebe, are you saying vacuum packing extends the life in fridge?  I only considered freezing, so that info (if I'm reading correct) is new to me, and would be worth it.

Yes it will

Tig, thank you for the clearance isle idea, I'll check them out.  I'd like to build something custom, but maybe I can buy some pieces to incorporate.  I want an outdoor prep area because I agree, I cook outside because I like to be outside, and I have lots of outdoor space that I want to make functional.

Also, as for defrosting in the fridge, is there a standard?  Such as one day in fridge for every 3 lbs?

Yes there is but like everything else too many variables to get an exact time.

As for vacuum sealing, are chamber vacuums generally considered better?

Chambers are better and can handle liquids but limited on size and much more expensive.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Daze823

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 08:57:26 AM »
I found a great discussion on the original vacuum sealers, with some links to detailed information.  I was sold, so I found one of the original units, with box and instructions on eBay for about $100 including shipping.  Here is the link, I think it's a great read if your trying to learn about vacuum sealers:

http://www.chowhound.com/post/curent-vacuum-sealer-912437

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 10:57:10 AM »
I found a great discussion on the original vacuum sealers, with some links to detailed information.  I was sold, so I found one of the original units, with box and instructions on eBay for about $100 including shipping.  Here is the link, I think it's a great read if your trying to learn about vacuum sealers:

http://www.chowhound.com/post/curent-vacuum-sealer-912437

If you stick to the original style of Food Saver - the "lay-down" type, the one that the Game Saver is based on. It will work for years...as long as you keep the rubber seals clean. You will want to replace the seals every year or three - depending on usage. ALL of the parts are available - and cheap. The service from Food Saver is top notch. I read most of the thread above - and it had some good info. It also had a lot of ego driven bloviation about who knew who...and what that particular God of vac sealers had done or said... :D :D :D I guess my vote is for SIMPLE. and - not expensive, but not the cheapest. Good value. Great support.
Now - if you want to move up to a commercial unit, the Weston 2300 is an all stainless unit, and will accommodate up to 15"or 16" ( I forget the exacts...) wide bags. You can package liquids with any of these *IF* you are paying attention and push the buttons when the air is all out of the bags. I package soups all of the time this way - and have never killed a pump. ( You surely WILL kill a pump if you manage to suck liquids into them ).

THIS is the the best value in a durable, hard to kill, easy to get parts for when you need ( if ever...) vacuum sealer that  is simple, and easily stored:

http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/foodsaver-professional-vacuum-sealer/FSFSSL0320-000.html#sz=40&start=40

One of the best features is that the vacuum port is in the LID...so, ignored to suck liquids into the pump, you would have to completely fill the "tray" that collects any normal small amounts of liquids, and then over flow it. Hard to do - even if you try.

I recently made 30 lbs. of beef jerky. all of it was put into individual portions of 2.5 oz., in individual bags made from 8" wide rolls vac seal bag material.
I use this sealer. And - this is not un-common for my usage. It is now 3+ years old. I still have the previous Food Saver (made for Sears) that is now more than 12 ( and I think more like 15....) years old.

So - I guess that, for me the bottom line is this: buy a simple machine, and get to know it for the best service and satisfaction. Make sure that you can get parts. ( Tho all I have ever needed was 1 set of gaskets for the old Sears branded Food Saver).

Now - about "long term" food storage in the freezer. Vacuum sealing as good - but alone, is not perfect. Why? Because you will never completely remove air that is in the bag. Mostly, most of the time - sure. But even when a bag appears to be completely devoid of air - it is still there in the edge of the tissues of that steak ;). SO...The other aspect of the equation is - What does my freezer do to help or hurt in my achieving 3-5 years safe frozen storage of fresh meats ( YES...it can be done, and *IS* done. )
This is what you need: look at your freezer's information or inspect the freezer to find the switch for the "auto-defrost"....TURN IT OFF....
That's right...commit heresy, and turn back technology to the 1950's :D :D :D. WHY??

Because once you understand that "auto defrost" is merely a timer ( that you could even by pass on some freezers that do not have the switch ) - and that how it works is to bring the temperature inside the freezer up to 35-40 degrees F - for a long enough period of time such that any accumulate frost can melt back into water, and run out of the drain the bottom of the freezer ( and into a little pan built in down near your compressor...) - now you can understand WHY that you can begin to get freezer burn around the edges of even some of your vacuum sealed foods.
Yes, this means that you will need to thaw and de-frost a freezer. I do mine approx. every 3 years. I go buy  some dry Ice, line up a couple of large coolers - throw the contents of the freezer in them ( and in the process "rotate" older foods out to the front for consumption).

One thing to remember as important: Keep a sharpie on top of the freezer. Mark the date - AND what is in the vac bag...Amazing what memory, time and freezing can do to create a new dimension in the "food guessing game".... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »
     A little hint if you are new to sealing a wet roast or anything brined. If it draws the moisture to the top of the bag it won't seal properly. Just wrap the roast tightly in saran wrap before you bag it and it will hold back the moisture and you will get a great suction and seal. You also get a little more freezer burn protection as a bonus.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »

A little hint if you are new to sealing a wet roast or anything brined. If it draws the moisture to the top of the bag it won't seal properly. Just wrap the roast tightly in saran wrap before you bag it and it will hold back the moisture and you will get a great suction and seal. You also get a little more freezer burn protection as a bonus.

Great tip. I will start doing that
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 08:14:52 PM »
Being a tailgater I bring my prep station with me.  I use a four foot light weight folding table that would work well at home......Light weight really helps in the long run. A number of years ago I bought a wall mount sink from boaters world *** that I have attached to my wall next to the grill. Man I love that thing for giving me cold fresh water outside. I also have a side burner that can heat water for any cleaning I do outside. When I tailgate I just bag the dirty stuff in a white bag & clean it later at home. I also have a small bucket that we just drop forks & tools in as the day goes on. At home I bought those bigger plastic containers that restaurants use. I keep it below the grill & in the table area. As needed everyone drops in their washable stuff in the containers for easy cleaning later inside (I also got the ,lid to keep things that fly out when needed). Next to my seating area & the Grill I have a nice plastic garbage can with locking lid. You can buy those in many places.

I also have many cooking tools some I paid good money for & some I bought at the dollar store. I like everything clean so one is for raw meat & one is for cooked meat. At tailgates I bring about five sets because people drop things trying to help. But even at home I like having spares setup in advance. Why, I don't like stopping to clean stuff in the middle of cooking it cuts down on my drinking time.  Why cheap ones & expensive ones? Well For dogs & burgers simple ones will do...for steaks Etc...well I don't want to drop one ;)  Same with serving platters I have a few for cooked & raw meats. Again, the discount stores sell them cheap

[/Tip of the day LOL When you buy a hose for the sink buy a fresh water safe drinking hose ....Non toxic is the way to go. You may pay a little more but the extra clean water makes it worth it.i]

You can also buy these five gallon water jugs with a turn off valve for fresh water. Amazon or K-mart have them for sale.

All this being said I still get fresh water when I can from inside the house. So if I am cooking something in water I fill it up on the inside & bring it out. Not because I must but it only cost me one trip. But having an outside supply really helps.

Tip of the day 2 LOL I have found some of the best deals on cooking gadgets come from the most expensive stores. It will take time but you will learn when to look for deals from each store. I have bought things from supermarkets at up to 85% off that were overpriced a month before. The sink from Boaters world*** was overpriced but they wanted them out of the stores so it was a great deal when I bought it. Same with many other stores. I use those cheap plastic throw away coolers that we all seem to get from time to time for long cooks if I need to store food outside for any length of time. Use it & toss it or if your food allows bag it first in the cooler so you can use it again.

Tip three is walk your cooking area before you do anything. Walk it a few times & think it out before you buy. Next write it down on paper. It really can be pain free with a little thought. I saved some money buying my pizza oven without a table because I had an old table that was perfect for it. One can of paint & it was a pizza oven table. Besides my four foot table I have a small folding table I bring out for a Pizza working station.

OK one more please buy prep gloves...but please make sure that they are food safe not garage grade.....one more time food safe.  I also buy the extra long ones for Turkeys & larger food. Also, please change them often..... But nothing is better than washing your hands with warm water.....don't trust the wipes or just cold water. This is when I take the time to go inside & wash as I sober up LOL  I see people use gloves & touch raw chicken...next they touch spices......later on they touch the spices without gloves......Again, please change them every time you touch anything that has germs.

When I tailgate I do use wipes but they are really not good for you so I only use them then. also clean your work are before, during & after your cook. If you spill clean it up as soon as you can.

People ask what is your best tool? I say it is the BBQ fork. It is easy to defend your grill with. You know that relative that wants to help but really can't...all they are good for is spreading germs & putting a 100 holes in your cook to see if it is done;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:39:51 AM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »
This is the sink  It looks even better now you can move the faucet out two feet now.......Great product

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/outdoor-garden-sink/280411
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill