Author Topic: First Things First: What is BBQ, what is smoking and what is grilling?  (Read 25573 times)

Barry CB Martin

First Things First: What is BBQ, what is smoking and what is grilling?
« Reply #-1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
Depending upon what part of the country you hail from - you may refer to any type of outdoor cooking as BBQ or Barbecue.  But there is a difference and I'll give some basic points here:

BBB/Barbecue is traditionally the name used to describe cooking meat at roasting temperatures using wood/charcoal as the primary heat source in an indirect method (The meat is not exposed to the flame or glow from the coals.)  Temperatures can range from about 250°F up to and beyond 375°F using this method.

Smoking: In general smoking meat is about imparting flavor(s) of specific wood varieties to the meat while cooking/roasting. If that smoking might occur over a longer period of time and the meat will be a lower temperature than traditional roasting - it is recommended the meat be treated with a "cure" (often composed of salt and other important ingredients) to prevent bacteria growth. Once cured the meat can be safely smoke/cooked for a longer period of time during which the internal temperature of the meat remains in what might be considered a "Danger Zone" of between 42°F and 140°F allowing production of a different flavor and texture than more traditional BBQ.

Grilling is method of cooking meat at temperatures of about 375°F or higher where the meat is directly exposed to the heat source - often using a grate to suspend the meat above the heat. In most made-for-backyard cooker the grates are made of materials which also cook the meat by a direct-contact - creating the brown sear marks on a steak or fish or pork chop.

Generally speaking, lean cuts of meat are perfect for grilling and fattier cuts of meat are perfect for BBQ and Smoking. That's not 100% true all the time and there are many recipes which use different cuts of meat interchangeably in all of these methods.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:49:35 PM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline Ka Honu

Not sure I totally agree with you (big surprise). 

In my world, "whilst" we often cure, rub, or inject, the definition of smoking doesn't depend on treating the meat (or other food product) with anything other than smoke (which is, as you imply, usually applied at a "lower" temperature - say up to about 250)o.

Also, many consider BBQ & smoking as pretty much the same method (both using low, indirect heat), the major difference (if any) being the presence/absence of smoke as a major flavor component.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Barry CB Martin

Re: First Things First: What is BBQ, what is smoking and what is grilling?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »
Not sure I totally agree with you (big surprise). 

In my world, "whilst" we often cure, rub, or inject, the definition of smoking doesn't depend on treating the meat (or other food product) with anything other than smoke (which is, as you imply, usually applied at a "lower" temperature - say up to about 250)o.

Also, many consider BBQ & smoking as pretty much the same method (both using low, indirect heat), the major difference (if any) being the presence/absence of smoke as a major flavor component.

KH - These are generalizations to help folks with virtually no experience in outdoor cooking understand the basics. Generally speaking most smoking occurs at a lower temperature and, in many instances, the lower temperature does not prohibit growth of bad bacteria --- so a cure is used to prevent that growth.  Clearly when barbecuing smoke gets to the food and that's part of the magic and delight. When specifically smoking, generally speaking, the temps are lower and thus a cure is often recommended...vis-a-vis salt, spices, nitrates, etc.  That said - your point is well taken and I amended my statement - please and thank you.

When the folks who join the forum for this section learn the basics I shall gladly usher them over to you and the other more experienced cooks to learn the nuances and complexities of smoking, roasting and barbecuing whilst I remain here helping folks learn how to turn on their grills and cook a burger.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:41:25 PM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »
The term "BBQ" is used more and more to refer to an event or a get together these days.....I suggest to use the word "Cook-Out"............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »
The term "BBQ" is used more and more to refer to an event or a get together these days.....I suggest to use the word "Cook-Out"............

ahem...note the word used on the heading of this section of the forum...  "Welcome to the Cookout!"   ;D

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »
Great minds think alike!!  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32