Author Topic: First Things First: What is Conduction, Convection and Radiation?  (Read 28793 times)

Barry CB Martin

First Things First: What is Conduction, Convection and Radiation?
« Reply #-1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
There are three types of cooking you do most every day and these play a big part of outdoor cooking.

Conduction is direct contact between the food and the cooking surface and source. For instance when you place a pan on the element of an electric stove-top burner the hot electric coil touches the pan and the heat is transferred by conduction or direct contact. The food placed in the pan is also cooked this way...with some minor variations to that statement because if you add water or oil you are using something called...

Convection.  Nearly all home ovens use convection to cook, the elements or burners are hidden below the food and as the elements heat up the air inside the oven heats and that heat transfers to the food via a method called convection. Hot water is also convection, as is hot oil, as these transfer heat or carry heat from the source to the food.  Adding a fan to the oven stirs that air up and keeps the heat moving more evenly about the oven...rather than the hottest air collecting at the top...remember, and this is also important to outdoor cooking: "Heat rises"

Radiation.  A broiler in your oven uses radiation to cook meat. A toaster does as well...although in both instances the heat source also warms the air and that conducts some heat...but primarily it's the radiation from the element. Ever stood around a campfire with the wind blowing the opposite direction - so all the hot air and smoke is blowing away from you? - and anything facing the fire/coals gets hot? That's radiation.  Infrared radiation to be precise.

When cooking outdoors you'll learn to use all of these to prepare tastier food! oh yes you will...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:46:34 PM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
There are three types of cooking you do most every day and these play a big part of outdoor cooking.

Conduction is direct contact between the food and the cooking surface and source. For instance when you place a pan on the element of an electric stove-top burner the hot electric coil touches the pan and the heat is transferred by conduction or direct contact. The food placed in the pan is also cooked this way...with some minor variations to that using something called...

Convection.  Nearly all home ovens use convection to cook, the elements or burners are hidden below the food and as the elements heat up the air inside the oven heats and that heat transfers to the food via a method called convection. Hot water is also convection, as is hot oil, as these transfer heat or carry heat from the source to the food.  Adding a fan to the oven stirs that air up and keeps the heat moving more evenly about the oven...rather than the hottest air collecting at the top...remember, and this is also important to outdoor cooking: "Heat rises"

Radiation.  A broiler in your oven uses radiation to cook meat. A toaster does as well...although in both instances the heat source also warms the air and that conducts some heat...but primarily it's the radiation from the element. Ever stood around a campfire with the wind blowing the opposite direction - so all the hot air and smoke is blowing away from you? - and anything facing the fire/coals gets hot? That's radiation.  Infrared radiation to be precise.

When cooking outdoors you'll learn to use all of these to prepare tastier food! oh yes you will...
WOW! Folks use infrared to cook with?  Who would have thunk  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: First Things First: What is Conduction, Convection and Radiation?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
Good info Barry ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:23:55 PM »
Barry, I think infrared finally clicked a little bit for me one day this summer when I was standing at my front door looking out my closed glass storm door. My face was very hot standing there with the sun streaming in but I could put my hand up to the glass and it was a little warm but not hot.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:07:54 PM »
Ken that glass was in your hand and it had a cold beverage in it...with ice. 

ba-da-bing

Next!   8)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »
Barry, I think infrared finally clicked a little bit for me one day this summer when I was standing at my front door looking out my closed glass storm door. My face was very hot standing there with the sun streaming in but I could put my hand up to the glass and it was a little warm but not hot.
I have a coleman propane heater that gets infrared hot. I had finished a beer and was just enjoying the heat from the heater when the bottom of the beer can reflected the infrared heat on the opposite arm and burnt my arm.The oval bottom of a beer can, can reflect infrared heat in the same intensity in which it was received ithout heating the can. I know that this info could come in handy for someone some day :)

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:17:32 AM »
Good info but let us not forget the other two methods of cooking for us who do not cook outside everyday or it is a rainy day.
Excitation:
Now I am sure most of us use this one.  Excitation is how microwave ovens work.

Induction:
Induction is the latest technique for stove tops.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:22:23 AM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:08:31 AM »
Good info but let us not forget the other two methods of cooking for us who do not cook outside everyday or it is a rainy day.
Excitation:

Induction:

Thanks for the reminder SS. As neither of these is currently applicable to outdoor cooking... I didn't bring them up in this "introduction to outdoor cooking" thread.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:56:57 AM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 07:21:06 AM »
Excitation:

Induction:
Thanks for the reminder SS. As neither of these is currently applicable to outdoor cooking... I didn't bring them up in this "introduction to outdoor cooking" thread.

I am sure that Tommy is fitting a SRG with a magnetron as we speak so you might be wrong Barry. ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:57:17 AM by Barry CB Martin »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »
Ken that glass was in your hand and it had a cold beverage in it...with ice. 

ba-da-bing

Next!   8)

Nah, the beer was in the other hand.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware