Author Topic: First Things First: Temperatures of food  (Read 28528 times)

Barry CB Martin

First Things First: Temperatures of food
« Reply #-1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »
Over the millennium it's been discovered through trial and error at first (more recently by scientific research tools) that improperly stored fresh and/or cooked food will grow bacteria that can make those who eat it sick. Or dead. I'm pretty certain you don't want that.

In general I will promote and use the United States Department of Agriculture USDA temperature guidelines and recommendations for safe food temperatures - both storage and preparation.  As you learn to prepare food and gain experience with what cooked food looks and tastes like, develop a personal understanding of textures, tastes and properly prepared food, you may be tgempted to develop your own standards. My only advice on that matter is to learn what the baseline is and why it's been developed before experimenting with defining new boundaries.

Here are a couple of images you may want to print out and keep handy - as it is a very good rule of thumb to remember for storing and cooking food. Minimize the time it spends in the "Danger Zone" by storing uncooked meat/food at lower than 40°F and finishing it to the recommended USDA internal temperature....higher than 145°F. 

click on the image to enlarge - right click to save to your computer desktop.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:11:29 PM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: First Things First: Temperatures of food
« on: November 06, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »
Good Stuff CB....very important for us Old Smoking Buzzards as well as the New Kids on the Smoking Block!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:53:39 PM »
I find it interesting albeit disconcerting the wide variance on "recommended" temperatures in different recipes on numerous websites.

I've always followed the USDA recommendations and haven't killed anyone yet <lol>.

The other interesting thing is the absence of gloves shown on various utube (and other) videos... Raw chicken scares me! I'm not so worried about beef and pork but any poultry (and fish for that matter) gets any extra dose of caution in my kitchen.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
The other interesting thing is the absence of gloves shown on various utube (and other) videos... Raw chicken scares me! I'm not so worried about beef and pork but any poultry (and fish for that matter) gets any extra dose of caution in my kitchen.

could not have said it better myself.  such a true statement. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
I am just glad they lowered the recommended temps on pork. Finally I am getting some good moist pork that is not all dried out.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:40:38 PM »
Gloves that important with chicken?  Don't wear them but wash my hands before I do anything. Did a bird tonight and probably washed them 10 times before I got it on the grill.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:04:21 PM by Barry CB Martin »
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 03:06:20 AM »
Gloves that important with chicken?  Don't wear them but was my hands before I do anything. Did a bird tonight and probably washed them 10 times before I got it on the grill.

You pose a great question - and here's why:  People who study these things (there's a job listing I'd love to see on Craig's List!) report findings that indicate food workers wearing food safe gloves is possibly less safe than handling food with bare hands...for folks who are perfectly healthy that is.

Seems that wearing gloves blocks the sensation of having dirty hands and folks are more likely to cross-contaminate because they haven't washed their hands after handling something like raw chicken...or possibly don't wash as thoroughly.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 08:16:48 AM »
Wearing gloves is an interesting topic unto itself...

Unfortunately a lot of folks (medical included) don't use gloves properly... The process is pretty straight-forward. Wash you hands before putting gloves on. Do whatever (single) task is at hand. Dispose of the gloves and wash your hands again.

It's kind of like cutting boards... use for a single task and change out to another board.

I agree though, a lot of people wear gloves without changing them. (Think the stop-and-rob deli counter where the clerk makes a sandwich, takes your money and makes another sandwich... all with the same gloves on!)

Another point to ponder... some recommend rinsing chicken; others say not to as it just spreads any bacteria that might be present. I think the USDA has changed its recommendation a few times.
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 08:51:35 AM »
I'm old fashioned about washing hands while cooking. I have a stainless steel insert that fills half the sink. I add a few drops of bleach to it when I fill it. Wash the sink with bleach then I wash my hands before and during cooking, about 25 times or more. If I add salt, wash hands, pepper, wash hands, gahhlick, wash hands. You get the picture. I spend a lot of time washing, but I feel safe. I have done this for almost 50 years so I think I'm safe. At least I'm still here to talk about it. I used to work in a hospital, so I'm anal about cleanliness.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »
I always use gloves. 4 bucks for 100 at Costco.. better safe than sorry IMO
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »
i use gloves because my hands are normally cut from just work and house stuff.  trimming those roses and blackberry bushes are murder on my hands.  gloves are so cheap at costco. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »
GOOD COMMENTS:  gloves at quick serve restaurants are more likely to prevent spreading contaminants that are on the host (human worker) than actually be useful in the preventing of cross-contamination in the preparation of the food...much of the illness that is food borne found in restaurants is because the staff is poorly trained and, sigh, ignorant of basic health safety.

"Another point to ponder... some recommend rinsing chicken; others say not to as it just spreads any bacteria that might be present. I think the USDA has changed its recommendation a few times."

Recently the position has been to dry off with paper towels, dispose of these properly and to season-then-cook the chicken soon thereafter in the belief the bacteria that is present will be killed in the cooking process. Of course the longer raw chicken is held at a temperature outside of the safe zone - the more bacteria will multiply.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:06:14 PM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »
I have read that drying the chicken before applying seasonings can help with getting the skin crispier.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »
It may be safe but I hate to watch cooks wearing the same pair of gloves when handling several different types of food. I know the reason from the gloves is to keep contaminants from their hands from getting on the food but it bugs me.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »
TP.. Definately NOT safe!

Change the job... change the gloves. (See above)

Mike
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi