Author Topic: First Things First: Temperatures of food  (Read 28540 times)

Barry CB Martin

Re: First Things First: Temperatures of food
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »
I have read that drying the chicken before applying seasonings can help with getting the skin crispier.........

According to our friend Maillard --- the browning occurs when the surface is dry and slightly saline...so a salted dry surface on the meat will brown best. Here's a great explanation of this practical law that governs food science:  http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/meat/INT-what-makes-flavor.html

And what's our mantra for that?  "Dry browns and Wet steams."

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »
for tailgating you need gloves. I am writing something now on the subject & I will link to it when it comes out
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline mrjig

• Good to see respected folks i "met" on Char Broil!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
I'm old fashioned about washing hands while cooking. I have a stainless steel insert that fills half the sink. I add a few drops of bleach to it when I fill it. Wash the sink with bleach then I wash my hands before and during cooking, about 25 times or more. If I add salt, wash hands, pepper, wash hands, gahhlick, wash hands. You get the picture. I spend a lot of time washing, but I feel safe. I have done this for almost 50 years so I think I'm safe. At least I'm still here to talk about it. I used to work in a hospital, so I'm anal about cleanliness.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Hi Pam! 25 times in bleach water? for 50 years? Really?
I commend your conscientous nature but i have served many a meal (60+ years in the woods)
 under very "casual"sanitary conditions, with no gloves and little hand washing..... Not so much as a bellyache.
I think we are a lot tougher than we think, except of course a minuscule % who are immuno compromised.

The most alarming sanitary procedures i have seen are in Dr's offices and hospitals. :(

Bless you for your efforts, but your cooking efforts must be tedious to say the least!
I rarely stop in here but apparently you are a regular.
Pleased to see you!
dick.

Offline Smokin J

• Let's smoke !
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »
Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you ! I have wanted this info for awhile. Great post.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 07:14:20 PM »

Pleased to see you!
dick.

Mr Jig...is it really YOU?

REALLY pleased to see you...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!