Author Topic: Smoke flavor from a pellet grill  (Read 5351 times)

Offline Subvet

Smoke flavor from a pellet grill
« Reply #-1 on: January 17, 2017, 01:45:32 PM »
After reading Smokes review of the Pit Boss Smoker/Grill 700FB again, I've really gotten interested in getting one of these. I'm a little reluctant because of reading other comments on various online sources and how so many mention the lack of 'real' smoke flavor from a pooper compared to wood or charcoal smokers. Some say they even put in an amazen tube for a long cook so they can get a real smoke flavor.

I'm not a fan of a heavy smoke taste but do want a mild-medium flavor. Could you give me some opinions on what to expect from a pellet smoker?  Heavy vs mild is probably in the eyes of the beholder.  :)

Thanks....Ron
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline hikerman

Re: Smoke flavor from a pellet grill
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »
First each brand has it's own plusses and minuses. But in all, the lower your grid temp, the more smoke produced. Usually 150F to 250F or so. The higher the temp the less smoke produced. You can add a tube of pellets at a higher cook or add a few hours at low temp before upping the temp. for your cook. When I have time I prefer to do butts and ribs at 225 - 250F for the whole cook. No need for extra smoke doing it this way.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 02:09:56 PM »
If you look for a pellet grill that has a controller with a smoke setting you will probably be happier.
In specific....the MAK product line has a smoke setting that I would challenge any other manufacturer to match. It really produces great smoke both in quality and quantity.

The better the controller.... The more in general the cost of the cooker. There will be other "better" features as well. Quality of construction at least. You do get what you pay for in terms durability and reliabilty. Several good brands out there. I only have experionce with 5.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:31:49 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:40:47 PM »
If you look for a pellet grill that has a controller with a smoke setting you will probably be happier.
In specific....the MAK product line has a smoke setting that I would challenge any other manufacturer to match. It really produces great smoke both in quality and quantity.

The better the controller.... The more in general the cost of the coomer. There will be other "better" features as well. Quality of construction at least. You do get what you pay for in terms durability and reliabilty. Several good brands out there. I only have experionce with 5.

I concur T ... Hard to beat the smoke output you get with a MAK
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:12:56 PM »
I definitely agree with the remarks about the lower temperatures for more smoke and the Mak grill. I don't own a Mak but once I tweaked the controller settings on my Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron I now have the medium type smoke that we like. As Tee said the better the controller the more expensive the unit. So many good pellet grills out there to chose from so take your time and do some serious research on what you are looking for and ask lots of questions.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:00:54 PM »
I will say that I think my Traeger works well for my needs. It has a "clean" smoke taste, not overpowering like the charcoal fog smoke. I get a very nice smoke ring on my ribs when I smoke them on the Traeger (which is always, lol). I smoke my homemade sausages and bacon on it too as it does have a smoke setting. I am not saying that it is as good as a MAK but I can say that it's good enough to try and see if you like Pellet Grills and if so you can always buy a more expensive one if you like.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »
I will say that I think my Traeger works well for my needs. It has a "clean" smoke taste, not overpowering like the charcoal fog smoke. I get a very nice smoke ring on my ribs when I smoke them on the Traeger (which is always, lol). I smoke my homemade sausages and bacon on it too as it does have a smoke setting. I am not saying that it is as good as a MAK but I can say that it's good enough to try and see if you like Pellet Grills and if so you can always buy a more expensive one if you like.

And - you bring up a good point RG...Traeger does have a smoke setting. There is a bit of a learning curve to operate the Traeger controller to the satisfaction most - but it does work well once you are comfortable with it.
AND....There are after market controllers  - such as the Savannah Stoker that can be installed on the Traeger - to give the operator even more options for control.

One more thought about "smoke"....it is a very, very, VERY subjective aspect of BBQ. Most folks have their own idea of the "perfect" amount of smoke. Some like more - others less....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 08:13:29 PM »
I feel the smokestack outlets on most "barrel" style pellet grills are mounted too high. Downdraft hoods are good mods so the smoke and heat are directed down towards the cooking grate.

The Pit Boss 700FB does not have a smokestack. It has a series of 5 holes along the top back of the barrel which causes the heat and smoke to "swirl" inside the smoking chamber. The Pit Boss also has temp swings which causes a good amount of smoke during the cook.

To me "temp swings mean smoke"  "smoke means flavor"

Also, the brand of pellet can contribute greatly to flavor as well.

If you are venturing into the world of pellet grilling smoking for the first time, the Pit Boss is a great affordable way to go. 6 months of heavy use and it has not let me down yet........................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 08:56:59 PM »
I definitely agree with the remarks about the lower temperatures for more smoke and the Mak grill. I don't own a Mak but once I tweaked the controller settings on my Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron I now have the medium type smoke that we like. As Tee said the better the controller the more expensive the unit. So many good pellet grills out there to chose from so take your time and do some serious research on what you are looking for and ask lots of questions.
Glad to hear that is working well for you Mike. :) :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Subvet

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 09:00:27 PM »
Thanks to all for the replies.  Still doing research, however I like the idea of dipping a toe in the water instead of diving into the deep end right off the bat. Getting into pellet cooking for under $400 for the Pit Boss 700FB is the way I'm leaning. Yes tee, some Aggies are cheap. Lol

The Mak is an incredible product from every thing I've found to read. If I like pellet cooking that is a top target to look at on down the road.
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 09:39:18 PM »
And - there is nothing wrong with your approach. Look, I have been the beneficiary of some killer deals offered me on equipment. SO...frugality is next to Godliness for me personally ;) :D
To wit - be sure to check out your local Craigslist to see if anyone is selling a pellet grill. It is the time to buy outdoor gear!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »
Without a doubt, yes, you will get a better smoke flavor with a MAK. 

Our MAK puts the amount of smoke flavor that I always strove for, even when cooking with charcoal.  It's a good clean smoke flavor that you get with that light blueish-gray smoke, not that nasty over-smoked flavor you get if you don't control your fire properly (you know the kind that has you burping smoke rings).

For homemade smoked sausage, homemade bacon and the like, I get plenty of smoke flavor running in "Smoke Mode" (which is a hot smoke)  when I want it, and a slightly lighter smoke for pulled pork, etc. and a lighter smoke for grilling temps.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 09:59:48 PM »
another selling point of the Pit Boss series of pellet grills is that the flame broiler is included........you can sear with the best with this set-up...............

.............and yes.....someday I will have a MAK.............................someday...................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 10:19:45 PM »
My Memphis has a standard "smoke" mode from 160F to 300F

The controller slows the fan down and will speed up for a few seconds to stoke the pellets then back down to low speed. Provides a nice smoke profile while regulating temps.

Then anything over 300F the fan goes full speed.

It is tough to get a lot of smoke and keep precison temps due to smoke is made from incomplete combustion.

But a simple smoke tube can provide extra smoke flavor to suit your taste
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 06:41:13 AM »
Lots of good advice here with only one thing missing.  HOW you cook on your pellet cooker will have a much larger impact that what brand of cooker it is  ;D

Transitioning to a pellet cooker from other fuels means re-addressing the age-old concept often referred to a KNOWING YOUR PIT.  Your recipes and cooking approaches will need some modification and you'll even enjoy making them if you know you'll make progress toward success by learning your new pit.  It's fun!

Here are two articles you should read if you are serious about your pellet thoughts:

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2641.0
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2647.0

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN