Author Topic: Experiencing flame outs  (Read 947 times)

Offline rwalters

Experiencing flame outs
« Reply #-1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:18:48 PM »
I have a 2017 2 Star with the new Funnel Flame Zone. If I change pit temp during a cook, it's typically to a higher temp, not lower.  With that said, in the last couple of months, I have twice found myself cooking (grilling) at 450, and then wanting to kick the temp down to 300 to cook something different that required the lower cooking temp.  Both times, I experienced a flame out.  Upon closer inspection, I found the firepot to be completely filled with unburned pellets.  It's almost as if the controller doesn't know how to properly bring the cooking chamber down in temp without suffocating the fire.

I am wondering if others (no matter the brand of pellet grill) have experienced this? 

I am going to email MAK and see what they have to say.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Experiencing flame outs
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:31:05 PM »
Do not have an issue with temp. changes causing a flameout...BUT I am not running the Flame Zone yet. Worth an e-mail or phone call to MAK. I will bet they have an answer.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 07:01:39 AM »
Ironically I just answered this exact same question for someone else (on another forum) who just got a MAK and experienced the same thing.

Yes, I have experienced this and there's an easy solution.

It's always harder, to go from a high temperature to a relatively low one on a pellet grill. If it's enough of a temperature drop the pellets in the firepot can burn up before it needs to start feeding pellets again. The fire basically goes out, meaning a relight sequence is needed when it does start feeding pellets again. HOWEVER... If memory serves me (I talked with Bruce yesterday to confirm this), the MAK igniter doesn't relight unless the pit temp drops below 150°. Ergo the temp continues to drop until then.

By time it triggers a relight, there are enough pellets built up in the firepot that it creates a nice cloud of smoke when they start smoldering.

Next time you drop in temperature that much, simply open the lid for a few minutes and allow the heat to dump out and bring the pit temp to slightly below your desired temperature. This will trigger a pellet feed and keep the fire going.

Hope this makes sense!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

Experiencing flame outs
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »
Ironically I just answered this exact same question for someone else (on another forum) who just got a MAK and experienced the same thing.

Yes, I have experienced this and there's an easy solution.

It's always harder, to go from a high temperature to a relatively low one on a pellet grill. If it's enough of a temperature drop the pellets in the firepot can burn up before it needs to start feeding pellets again. The fire basically goes out, meaning a relight sequence is needed when it does start feeding pellets again. HOWEVER... If memory serves me (I talked with Bruce yesterday to confirm this), the MAK igniter doesn't relight unless the pit temp drops below 150°. Ergo the temp continues to drop until then.

By time it triggers a relight, there are enough pellets built up in the firepot that it creates a nice cloud of smoke when they start smoldering.

Next time you drop in temperature that much, simply open the lid for a few minutes and allow the heat to dump out and bring the pit temp to slightly below your desired temperature. This will trigger a pellet feed and keep the fire going.

Hope this makes sense!
Makes perfect sense! Thanks, Cliff. I did get a response from Dennis at MAK yesterday, and he did mention that the Pellet Boss current version (3.2) should not have flame out issues.  He briefly explained the logic that is used when dropping temps. His explanation made sense, but my results differed from the way it should work...lol. With that said, I will try your recommendation... easy enough :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »
Yep the new version does seem to be much better at lowering temps.  The I only time I see this happen is when there's a relatively large drop in temperature.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:12:22 PM »
I have found with any pellet grill that going down in temps by too large of jumps causes problems.

Cliff's solution makes perfect sense.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32