Author Topic: First Brisket on new 1 Star  (Read 1911 times)

Offline RPing

First Brisket on new 1 Star
« Reply #-1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »
Tried my first Brisket on my new 1 Star. Have a couple of questions since this piece of meat took forever to finish. It was about 30-40F outside during the whole cook. I started on Smoke for two hours, then kicked it up to 225 for 9 hours. I was in the stall at about 150 for a while. I increased the temp to 235 for 6 hours then I wrapped it until it hit 203. Total time was about 19 hours.

I cooked on the second shelf with a water on underneath. Any particular reason this cook took so long other than it was a stubborn piece of meat? Do you think that the water on underneath was preventing the area around the meat from getting to put temps? 

Also have any of you found that choice briskets become probe tender at higher temps than prime?

Anyway, pics are below. Sorry for the mess on the plate in the second pic, almost forgot to take one of the smoke ring...

Offline Pappymn

« on: March 13, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »
Looks real good. I've only done two briskie. So I'm no help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »
Looks great! That is a bit longer then I would have expected. With that said, I’ve had 18-20 hour brisket/butt cooks many times as I often like to cook loooow and sloooow
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: First Brisket on new 1 Star
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:22:09 PM »
Turn your temp up.  Smoke for two hours is fine but then up the temp to 250°.  Your still  get smoke at the temp and won't take you so long to cook.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Lantern

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
Smoke at low temp if you like, but then bring it up to 250 and cook till the color is nice(usually about 160 degrees). Then wrap in butcher paper and raise the temp to about 300-325. You'll easily cut your time in half and have similar results to lower temps and possibly more juiciness.

This is what I do on all my brisket cooks no matter the cooker.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »
Looks perfect! :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 10:56:30 AM »
Awesome looking brisket!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »
Yum!!     :thumbup:
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 03:30:24 PM »
 Nice smoke ring !   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:54:39 PM »
RPING----it is my opinion that you do not need a water pan in your MAK. Or any pellet grill for that matter. When I first began cooking on pellet grills in 1991, I had switched over from using watersmokers, and put a water pan in my pellet grill. It didn't add any moisture to the cooker. I measured the water before and after and there was little to no evaporation.
Yes, I believe that the water pan may have caused your brisket cooking time to be longer than it needed to be. Using the 2nd shelf was good because heat rises.
I am not an advocate of foil, because it steams the meat and softens the bark on the brisket. But, if it works for you, then that's what matters. Your smoke ring is dead-on.
The difference between Prime and Choice is the amount of interior fat in the meat. Either grade is fine. I usually go choice only because it is less expensive on  a per pound basis. But again, whatever works for you.
I agree with many of the replies on this thread that suggest raising the temperature. 250F-275F is a good range, it will help the brisket cook more quickly and still help to break down the meat fibers.   I smoke my big cuts longer than you did. I would smoke a brisket for up to 6 hours, then raise the heat to bring it up to a finishing temperature of 200-205F.
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 06:34:57 PM »
Looks mighty fine to me!  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:54 PM »
After decades of cooking at 225, I now am firmly at 275. Good idea doing smoke for a couple of hours, that is 180 degrees, but then bump her up to 275. I do not foil anymore.

Your brisket looks great. MAKs or any pellet grills do not need water. Water smokers mostly use the water for a heat sink, more than adding moisture to your grub.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RPing

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 08:23:35 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I know this will be a learning experience. I previously used an 18” WSM for 5 years prior to purchasing the MAK.

I’ll try kicking the temp up around 250 with the next one and see how it goes. I just wish Brisket wasn’t so expensive in CT. $4/lbs for choice grade in my neck of the woods. Makes experimenting very expensive. Good thing there is a butcher in my town that I can get most things from.

I sometimes get caught up in trying to have the perfect piece of BBQ. Just need to let that go and enjoy it!

Offline rwalters

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 09:09:04 PM »
I sometimes get caught up in trying to have the perfect piece of BBQ. Just need to let that go and enjoy it!
I think many of us, including myself, need to remind ourselves of this more often. Heck, even our mess ups are tastier then many people eat on a nightly basis :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 09:23:27 PM »
I think many of us, including myself, need to remind ourselves of this more often. Heck, even our mess ups are tastier then many people eat on a nightly basis :)

I used to be one of those guys that if I had a bad cook, I would call in sick to re-do the cook. I have calmed down since then and BBQ is much more fun.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32