Author Topic: Dirty smoke- Weber Kettle  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Durham Smoker

Dirty smoke- Weber Kettle
« Reply #-1 on: March 26, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »
Hi guys,

Sometimes if I am making something like pork chops, I'll start one half to one whole chimney(royal oak natural briquets)  depending on how much I am cooking.  I bank these against one side and separate with fire bricks.  I then toss a chuck of wood on the hot coals and wait for the smoke to run clean before I start the chops indirect to get some smoke before finishing over the direct coals.

The problem is that is takes FOREVER for the dirty smoke to clear.   Sometimes close to an hour.  This hour is good in the sense that it allows the indirect temperate to come down since I have so much charcoal burning the indirect starts at close to 500 degrees.  Bad b/c it takes and hour (when in a hurry) and the coals get pretty depleted by the time i want to finish.

Anyway to speed the process of getting clean smoke up?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:44:10 PM by Durham Smoker »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Dirty smoke- Weber Kettle
« on: March 26, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »
When adding wood chunks to charcoal you have two choices:

you restrict the air to keep temps down and your wood smolders. Smoldering wood is yucky. Another reason why I do not like electric smokers.

You open up your vents for max air flow for a hot clean burning fire but you have temp spikes.

If you are cooking pork chops...are you grilling them? If you are I would avoid the wood chunks.

Sounds like you are cooking them indirect. Maybe a small handful of wood chips. They will burn up quick but not smolder.

Don't buy into the soaking your wood theory. Doesn't work and they will smolder even more.

I don't know if any of this helped you.......hopefully the Weber crowd will be here shortly with more help.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:03:39 PM »
When adding wood chunks to charcoal you have two choices:

you restrict the air to keep temps down and your wood smolders. Smoldering wood is yucky. Another reason why I do not like electric smokers.

You open up your vents for max air flow for a hot clean burning fire but you have temp spikes.

If you are cooking pork chops...are you grilling them? If you are I would avoid the wood chunks.

Sounds like you are cooking them indirect. Maybe a small handful of wood chips. They will burn up quick but not smolder.

Don't buy into the soaking your wood theory. Doesn't work and they will smolder even more.

I don't know if any of this helped you.......hopefully the Weber crowd will be here shortly with more help.

X2!

Plus...try less charcoal. Try different charcoal. Make SURE your wood is well aged/DRY....and remove any bark.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:33:00 PM »
A Weber kettle is what I used for years before I got my first offset smoker and then pellet smokers.   I used to do the same thing as you; put the charcoal off to one side.  I also prefer Royal Oak briquettes to Kingsford any day of the week. I just think they have a cleaner taste (the Walmart brand is made by Royal Oak and is what I used most often).

Like Smokeasaurus & Tim I MUCH prefer a smaller, hotter fire which burns cleanly.

Wet wood on any fire is DEFINITELY yuck++, because you are creating a dirty burn.  I'm also NOT a fan of the minion method.  It relies on unlit charcoal and choking off oxygen both of which create an unclean burn, and the food always seems over-smoked to me.

The best things I ever did was to make sure the charcoal was completely lit and ashed over in the chimney BEFORE I added it to the kettle. This is DOUBLY true if you need to add additional briquettes later. Get them lit and ashed over FIRST!

Then I would add just one larger or two smaller DRY chunks of wood (it doesn't take much), OR BETTER YET...  make a pellet/chip pouch using a piece of foil and 1/3 - 1/2 cup of wood pellets or DRY chips and punch just one small hole with a toothpick (yes, just one single small hole, THAT"S IT! One... and SMALL!!!).  The pouch actually catches any creosote, etc. and releases only clean smoke. 

Like this (click the photos to enlarge):

This always gave me plenty of extremely nice clean smoke on my Weber Kettle or my offset smoker.

This method can even be used for cold smoking on a Weber using a few ashed over briquettes and a foil pouch or single chunk of wood, and still give you a great clean smoke. The key is the briquettes MUST be hot and ashed over, plenty of air flow, and the wood MUST be dry!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Dirty smoke- Weber Kettle
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
That was a really good write up Tent. Very helpful. You too Smoke. Tee's information was meh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 07:05:02 PM »
That was a really good write up Tent. Very helpful. You too Smoke. Tee's information was meh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well...we all know that I am a man of few words... .  ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 05:20:08 AM »
This option gives plenty of clean smoke and what's also nice is you don't have to let temperature dictate the smoke output. Even can be used in a cold grill if you want or gas grill. Endless options.
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker