Author Topic: Well, my new 1 star has arrived........and my flame zone as well. Praise and ???  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Lantern

My 1 star arrived via liftgate delivery, but I was working and they had the wrong phone number and through persistence and luck the truck was in the town I was working in when the driver called me. I saved him some time and he dropped the crate onto my pickup truck.

After assembly I did the burn-in with the free pellets they sent. I wasn't a fan of then , but VERY appreciative that they were sent so I didn't have to waste my preferred pellets. No cooking on the first day because it was late, but I did quite a bit of screwing around with how fast it recovered temps and reached max temp.

Then came the following day and the delivery of the flame zone. After cranking the 1 star up for the first time I knew I had made a great choice with this upgrade. Even with wind and a good 10 degree drop in temps the one star was VERY noticeably quicker to temps.

Ribs were first as I wanted to know where the smoke level stood without messing with dropping temps and programing and such. (side note I went pellet to control smoke level as my stomach isn't as smoke friendly as it once was). I rubbed them down with some Oakridge BBQ rub and into a 245 degree MAK they went. What came out made my wife EXTREMELY happy as she got home from work. She proclaimed that she WOULD NOT be taking any for lunch the next day as she did not want to share with the scavengers at the dealership. That's a big win for the MAK.

After the ribs came off I put two 8.5lb butts on the top rack and let her roll all night at 245. They hit 198 and were ready at around 7am. I decided that since those butts had been frozen when I got them for 89 cent per lb that she should take them to the dealership. They're used to my BBQ coming off the WSM and stick burner and were unknowing test subjects. With the smoke level being nice a smooth I was able to add some rub back into the pulled pork to compliment the bark. I received a text at 12 that all the pork from both butts was gone and everybody was raving as usual. Yet another win for the MAK.

Now, some questions. What vacuum if any do you guys use to clean. And what brush should I use to scrape the mess off my sear zone plates and holes??? I don't like using tin foil.....never have. I'd rather have a black seasoned grill/smoker. The reason I ask about the brush is I WILL NOT use a standard metal brush because I've had folks I know get one of those bristles stuck to their food and into their mouth!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:17:11 PM by Lantern »

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Congrats!!   :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
If it's going to be a really messy, greasy, long cook (such as pork shoulders), I will cover the drip pan/covers with foil.  Otherwise, I just wipe what mess I can with some paper towels, or use a metal scraper (you are not going to damage the drip pans; they're heavy 304 stainless).

For the grates/racks, we have one of those grill cleaners with a thick scotch-brite type pad & scraper.

A couple times per year I just stick the grates, and whatever other stainless drip pan/FlameZone parts that fit, into our self cleaning oven for a cleaning cycle.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

Very much looking forward to seeing (with pics, lol) you putting this bad boy to good use! As far as cleaning the Flame Zone setup, I have a wide and narrow steel scraper. If you let your MAK cook for a bit at 400° that stuff hardens up and comes off quite easily with a scraper. From there, I take a little whisk broom and sweep it all into the grease chute. Once you get into a routine, it quite easy. Like you, I don’t use foil...as I prefer to cook naked... ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Pappymn

I have a small dedicated vac that I keep under the grill. Only use it for my Mak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline fryfour

i just use a wisk broom and sweep ashes into the grease pan..... gave up on the vac

Offline rwalters

Also, assuming you know the MAK’s have removable firepots?  Do they have the trap door that leads to the grease/ash catch pan like the 2 Stars do?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Congrats!! 2
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline GusRobin

• Test
I don't have a MAK but I use a home depot "Bucket head" It is a small wet/dry vc that fits on the top of a 5 gallon bucket.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline tomcrete1

Congrats!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
If the 1 star clean out is the same as the 2 star, I just use a little wisk broom for the ash.

For long greasy smokes, I put a grease pan on the bottom rack and cook on the top rack.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Oh, what did you think of the new MAK Flamezone???   Is that sweet or what!!!!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Lantern

Also, assuming you know the MAK’s have removable firepots?  Do they have the trap door that leads to the grease/ash catch pan like the 2 Stars do?

Yep, identical.

Offline Lantern

I just cooked some burgers yesterday. My wife who doesn't enjoy burgers on the charcoal grill, but loves the blackstone said they were by far the best grilled burgers she's ever had.

So far, ribs...check....pork butt...check....burgers...check. Gonna be gone for a couple days, but may be looking at either a rib roast or brisket next or a beef clod if I can find one.

Also, I apologize for the lack of pics. I usually am all over that especially as pretty as this food is coming out. But, new toy and hungry eaters take priority for the first week.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices

I just cooked some burgers yesterday. My wife who doesn't enjoy burgers on the charcoal grill, but loves the blackstone said they were by far the best grilled burgers she's ever had.

So far, ribs...check....pork butt...check....burgers...check. Gonna be gone for a couple days, but may be looking at either a rib roast or brisket next or a beef clod if I can find one.

Also, I apologize for the lack of pics. I usually am all over that especially as pretty as this food is coming out. But, new toy and hungry eaters take priority for the first week.

We will "overlook" the lack of being able to "look over" your food...this time.... :D :D :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401