Author Topic: Smoke Ring Pellets  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Gtsum2

Smoke Ring Pellets
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »
I’ve used bbq delight (200lbs or so) as well as lumberjack (800lbs or so). Lumberjack 100% hickory and 100% cherry produce more smoke and flavor than any of the bbq delights I used. They also produce more ash though

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline rwalters

Re: Smoke Ring Pellets
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 02:50:42 PM »
I’ve used bbq delight (200lbs or so) as well as lumberjack (800lbs or so). Lumberjack 100% hickory and 100% cherry produce more smoke and flavor than any of the bbq delights I used. They also produce more ash though

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Interesting and thanks for sharing!  Smoke production is important to me, but so is minimal ash, but so is flavor... uggh, now what am I supposed to do?!?!  I think I'd take a bit more ash and just empty my firepot after every cook if need be.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline skidog

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
Like pappy i get LJ from a guy on craigs list, 16 bucks for 40#.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline happyappy

• Go Apps!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 04:53:58 PM »
Another option for you to consider are Pit Boss pellets from your local Lowe's.  $16.88 for 40 pounds makes them very reasonable.  I find they are very similar to the BBQ Delight blend.  They don't produce as much smoke as the 100% hickory from Lumberjack; but they burn hotter with less ash so there's your trade-off. 

If nothing else grab a bag to use when you are out of your favorite brand.
Camp Chef Pellet Grill
BEESR
Cook Air Grill
Weber Genesis
Barrel House Cooker

Offline Lantern

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 06:15:16 PM »
Here's to hoping that the lumberjack I just ordered from Rural king is the same as A-Maze-N brand pellets I've been using. $8.99 for 20lbs of MHC beats the heck out of having to buy $50 worth to get free shipping on 40lbs!!!! LOL!!

Offline rwalters

Smoke Ring Pellets
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »
Here's to hoping that the lumberjack I just ordered from Rural king is the same as A-Maze-N brand pellets I've been using. $8.99 for 20lbs of MHC beats the heck out of having to buy $50 worth to get free shipping on 40lbs!!!! LOL!!
Keep us posted! From all I have read, I think you’ll be happy :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
I have a Green Mountain Grill dealer at a big farm machinery place that stocks Lumberjack pellets. Great price and I like them. Ash don't bug me that much because the MAK is so darn easy to clean...................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 06:28:47 AM »
$26.99 for 20 lb bag seems a bit high?   I get BBQ'rs DeLight for $10.99 at Academy Sports and if I'm lucky one of the guys at work orders a pallet and I get them for  $7.50 a 20 lb bag

Just saying
I wish I could get BBQ’rs delight at that price! That’s awesome :)

The Smoke Ring pellets get really competitive when you buy in bulk. Purchasing 1000 pounds, will get the cost down to about $.35 a pound.

that is either 50 20 lb bags or 25 40 lb bags/  Be a little of  a workout to get those stored away but .35 a lb is darn good

any Lumberjack distributors around you??

Up here in northern NH, where it can be -20 to -35 for days at a time, we use pellet stoves as our primary source of heat.  We buy 2-3 tons of pellets yearly. You can get them sent on either ton or ton and a half pallets.  That's 150 bags, 40 #'s a piece.  Moving them into a dry spot is a hell of a workout. One technique that I found to save your arms for stacking is to balance the bag on your head.  I know it sounds crazy, but if you have to carry it for up to 30 feet every trip, it really adds up using your arms.  Plus, when you start stacking above chest high the bags are already up there. It is definitely a shoulder saver.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer