Author Topic: Tec G-Sport Infra-Red Gas Grill  (Read 18087 times)

Offline Panthur

Tec G-Sport Infra-Red Gas Grill
« Reply #-1 on: April 12, 2018, 01:51:50 PM »
Hi. Does anyone at all have any knowledge or experience with this particular grill ?  I have a Mak 2 Srar General for most of my needs but am looking for something I can run on NG, is a bit portable, and gets really hot really fast - for searing steaks etc. Just for hot and fast cooking mainly.  Thanks..

Offline rwalters

« on: April 12, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »
No experience, but I have looked at them (online). IMO, crazy expensive for only being needed for super high heat/searing.  Would you be using this in conjunction w/ your MAK (reverse sears)? Or would you be using it as your “daily grill”?  Or ???
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Tec G-Sport Infra-Red Gas Grill
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »
Hi. Does anyone at all have any knowledge or experience with this particular grill ?  I have a Mak 2 Srar General for most of my needs but am looking for something I can run on NG, is a bit portable, and gets really hot really fast - for searing steaks etc. Just for hot and fast cooking mainly.  Thanks..
I don not have one nor even seen one, but if you want a good grill for searing and don't want to use your MAK searing plate (if you have one) for 200 bucks Charbroil makes a two burner INFRARED grill that gets hotter than a (well it gets hot) and you can run it on NG with a conversion kit.   

As long as you take good care of it, it should last many years.   A friend of mine owns one and loves it, had it for 3 years so far   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Panthur

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 04:54:22 PM »
I will research the Char Broil grill you mention. I use the Mak most of the time but am looking for something that i can get real hot real fast mainly for steaks. Steaks on the Mak are ok but its 30 mins getting grill up to temp.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 04:57:15 PM »
I will research the Char Broil grill you mention. I use the Mak most of the time but am looking for something that i can get real hot real fast mainly for steaks. Steaks on the Mak are ok but its 30 mins getting grill up to temp.
At least give it a good look. Like I said a buddy of mne loves his and cooks all the time on it.   Lowes will run sales on them for 200-220 price range
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rwalters

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
Are you anti-charcoal?  I love steaks from my MAK, but IMO nothing beats cooking steaks over lump charcoal on my Weber kettle. 

I have a Slow n Sear on my Weber kettle.  I can be up to grilling/searing temps in 15-20 mins when using lump charcoal.  To me, it is the ULTIMATE 2 zone steak cooking setup!!! :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:06:01 PM »
Cook-Air is electric and wood, but it is a searing machine
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Panthur

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
Lol, not anti-charcoal no. I work like 300 days of the year and get home at 630 pm, so looking for a fast start up with lots of heat so I can actually eat by 8 pm ha ha. On my days off tho, time is not an issue at all

Offline rwalters

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »
Lol, not anti-charcoal no. I work like 300 days of the year and get home at 630 pm, so looking for a fast start up with lots of heat so I can actually eat by 8 pm ha ha. On my days off tho, time is not an issue at all
Gotcha!  Well, if you have the spare cash to burn, the TEC will definitely get hot quickly and last you a lifetime. But, as mentioned, there are much less expensive solutions. Me, I’d go with a Weber Genesis and add GrillGrates. Just my 2 cents

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:28:13 PM »
I also like the Weber Gasser and grill grates.   Have you looked at Kalamazoo gas grills??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 09:30:13 PM »
I also like the Weber Gasser and grill grates.   Have you looked at Kalamazoo gas grills??
Kalamazoo?!?! You better be laying on the gurney outside the ER before you look those grills up...lol.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »
Kalamazoo?!?! You better be laying on the gurney outside the ER before you look those grills up...lol.

Yes Sir, they are expensive as all get out. 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 10:36:40 AM »
I have cooked on a TEC grill several times (not that exact model) and I always find it difficult to control the heat.  It is great for searing but difficult to grill chicken, for example, because it seems to just cook too hot.  I like my Weber much better than the TEC.  Good Luck
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Panthur

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »
Great comments guys. Thanks a bunch. I kinda like the weber kettle idea for summer, but i like to grill all winter as well. Not sure if i would be exited about lighting a charcoal grill at 7 pm just for 2 steaks is all. But i have zero experience with charcoal, maybe there are fast ways to get up to temp if just doing 15 mins worth of fast cooking.  And I have done some steaks on the Mak with the searing grate and it works pretty well ( providing i have some extra time is all ).

Offline rwalters

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 01:23:34 PM »
Great comments guys. Thanks a bunch. I kinda like the weber kettle idea for summer, but i like to grill all winter as well. Not sure if i would be exited about lighting a charcoal grill at 7 pm just for 2 steaks is all. But i have zero experience with charcoal, maybe there are fast ways to get up to temp if just doing 15 mins worth of fast cooking.  And I have done some steaks on the Mak with the searing grate and it works pretty well ( providing i have some extra time is all ).
Some further thoughts and opinions:

My personal setup includes a MAK 2 Star w/ the MAK searing grates, a 26.75" Weber kettle with a Slow n Sear, Vortex and GrillGrates (I tell you that, because these items make it a VERY versatile cooker), and 2 Blackstone griddles (17" and 36"). There's really nothing that I cannot cook with my current setup.

I have a large and very busy family, and more often than not we are pressed for time... so I do understand the need for speed, especially during the work week.

No matter which cooker I choose on any given night, I will always ignite it before starting any food prep, that way if it takes 20-25 mins to come up to temp, it's no biggie.  It always takes that much time at a minimum to get the food ready for the grill anyway. During the winter, my MAK gets used for 95% of my cooks.  During the warmer months, it's probably closer to 50/50 between the MAK and Weber.  I can actually have the Weber up to grilling temps a bit quicker in the winter than I can the MAK, but the MAK is sooooo much easier when it's cold and dark outside.  Both units make for an amazing grill.

If you have never cooked on charcoal, in my opinion, you are really missing out on an enjoyable experience (not to mention some tasty results).  I will be the first to say... charcoal is not for everyone.  Some do not like to get there hands a bit dirty, or wait the extra few minutes, and just prefer the ease of turning a gas knob (nothing at all wrong with that). 

If you want pure ease and speed for those quick weeknight cooks and what I am describing above just doesn't quite sound like it would be to your liking, than I think you'd be quite happy with a nice gas grill (sitting right next to your MAK).  If that's the case, you are really going to be hard pressed to beat a good ole' Weber.  As mentioned, my preference would a Weber Genesis with added GrillGrates.  I used to have that setup, and it made for a fantastic grilling experience.  If you decide to go with the gas grill/GrillGrates setup, please let me know... I have a few pointers to share... things that I learned from experience.