Author Topic: Upgraded Flame Zone  (Read 1166 times)

Offline KJRsmoker

Upgraded Flame Zone
« Reply #-1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »
I just ordered the Flame Zone for my 2 Star.  I hope it's everything that you guys say it is.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline rwalters

Re: Upgraded Flame Zone
« on: April 13, 2018, 01:31:14 PM »
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new Funnel Flame Zone setup!!!!!  I cannot imagine you will not feel the same :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new Funnel Flame Zone setup!!!!!  I cannot imagine you will not feel the same :)

Ditto!  :thumbup:
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 08:46:03 PM »
It is all you have imagined and more. 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »
I just ordered the Flame Zone for my 2 Star.  I hope it's everything that you guys say it is.

Bruce told me that the new F-Z has been showing a reduction in pellet consumption of 15-20%. It'll take a while to see a ROI. Using crude math of a dollar a pound of pellets at 20% savings. To reach $400 for the F-Z you would have to reach 2,000 #'s.  So at 2,000 #'s for $2,000; you would get to 1600 pounds and dollars. There's your 400 bucks.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline rwalters

Upgraded Flame Zone
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »

Bruce told me that the new F-Z has been showing a reduction in pellet consumption of 15-20%. It'll take a while to see a ROI. Using crude math of a dollar a pound of pellets at 20% savings. To reach $400 for the F-Z you would have to reach 2,000 #'s.  So at 2,000 #'s for $2,000; you would get to 1600 pounds and dollars. There's your 400 bucks.
Yes, there’s that... bit to me the bigger thing is the increase in performance. Can’t put a price tag on that :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »

Yes, there’s that... bit to me the bigger thing is the increase in performance. Can’t put a price tag on that :)

I'm not saying this as a negative, I think it is a positive. I was pointing out the long term financial benefit of it. Smoke is showing the versatility benefit. I'm also sure it helps get hotter in performance. All benefits.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline rwalters

Upgraded Flame Zone
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »

I'm not saying this as a negative, I think it is a positive. I was pointing out the long term financial benefit of it. Smoke is showing the versatility benefit. I'm also sure it helps get hotter in performance. All benefits.
I didn’t take your ROI math as a negative by any means... like you said, it’s all good stuff!! :)

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
I currently have both the MAK griddle and Sear Grate.  I wonder...instead of buying the new ones, can I just crank up the MAK with my new Flame Zone to 450F and put either the old griddle or Sear Grate on the provided racks?
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline rwalters

Upgraded Flame Zone
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
I currently have both the MAK griddle and Sear Grate.  I wonder...instead of buying the new ones, can I just crank up the MAK with my new Flame Zone to 450F and put either the old griddle or Sear Grate on the provided racks?
Good question, not sure. Guess you’ll know soon...lol.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 08:47:04 PM »

The searing grate will still work.   As far as the older griddle; I thought Matt Tucker (M in MAK) had told me the old griddle might work on the right-hand side, but Bob Tucker (MAK Daddy) says no, the old Griddles won't fit the new FlameZone design.  It could be an airflow issue because I think  the old griddles sit deeper down into the grill than the new ones and there's not enough clearance.

The other advantage with the new searing grate and griddle is that they are oriented left to right to match the new FlameZone covers.

I have these pictured in the review I did: 2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68