Author Topic: Weber Kettle Usage on Wooden Deck ?  (Read 870 times)

Offline Panthur

Weber Kettle Usage on Wooden Deck ?
« Reply #-1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:12:27 AM »
Ok, so after some conversation in here and great suggestions from all of you I have just ordered a 22" Weber Master Touch grill. It should nicely complement the Mak 2 Star hopefully - although I have a lot to learn about cooking with charcoal so it seems. I suppose this next question has been batted around a whole bunch already but....... Should I be concerned about using the new Kettle on my wooden deck ?  It is about 4' off the ground and has a roof and partial lattice walls as well. I guess I am mainly concerned about hot embers or whatnot ending up under the deck possibly and starting a fire on some old leaves or something. I hope I am over reacting cause I would hate to have to use it out on the lawn all the time.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Weber Kettle Usage on Wooden Deck ?
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
You can buy a oil drip pan that are about 3 Ft X 2 Ft at Wallyn World for around15 bucks.  These are stamped metal and I use them all the time under my RecTec and SRG's when cooking aroung the BBQ shed
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:09:02 AM »
An ounce of caution is worth a pound of insurance.......TMB's suggestion is a good one. Anything you can do to provide a non combustible surface below your kettle is worth doing. Not that they spit or sputter hot embers....but it is possible.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:23:47 AM »
Kingsford Briquettes and Weber Kettles were made for each other. If you are worried about sparks and little hot embers stay away from lump charcoal.

Kingsford burns consistently and all you need is one even layer of briquettes in your Weber and you are good to go.

When you get your Weber assembled make a mark with a marker on your one touch cleaning system so you know how open your bottom air vents are so you do not have to guess.

You will know what I mean when you get it assembled.

Don't worry about your Weber and charcoal cooking we got you covered.

Tommys Idea about the drip pan is a darn good one.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Panthur

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »
Awesome guys. Thanks a bunch for the great info to this point.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »
  I prefer lump in the kettle.  The ash catcher works very well on the Weber and I tend to be the one dropping a lump of coal out messing around with it.
  Lump/chunk does spit and sputter a bit at first and you mentioned leaves under the deck ,  that would be an issue.  Blow them out or hose them down when you cook until you get used to your new kettle.  Your going to enjoy it!   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"