Author Topic: New Flame Zone arrived  (Read 2021 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: New Flame Zone arrived
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
It would be much appreciated if you could post a video of the flame zone in action while searing a steak. I have not been able to find any videos anywhere of the new flame zone in action.

They're not vids, but I have some good pics (including some close-ups showing the sear), with lots of info posted here: 2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

New Flame Zone arrived
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »
It would be much appreciated if you could post a video of the flame zone in action while searing a steak. I have not been able to find any videos anywhere of the new flame zone in action.
Just curious... what are your “MAK steak searing” expectations?  Are you looking for a gas grill like sear? A lump charcoal like sear?  I have cooked/seared steaks numerous times on my MAK with the MAK sear grates. It’s a pretty good sear... but nowhere near what I can do on my Weber kettle with a pile of lump charcoal. Please do not take this as a knock against the MAK.  The MAK makes for a fantastic everyday grill. In fact, out of all the grills I have cooked on (gas and charcoal) it has been my favorite...it’s that good!  But when it comes to steak, I will always prefer charcoal. Just me and my 2 cents :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 02:44:42 PM »

I could try to get a video and then upload it.  However, the video probably wouldn't be very long or exciting.  Any steaks I would sear on it would be cooked ahead of time either sous vide or reverse sear.  So the most time they'd spend on the sear grates on the MAK would probably be about 1 minute each side.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 04:55:59 PM »
I agree with rwalters. MAKs can sear a steak with no problems...however, nothing beats a thick juicy rib-eye cooked over charcoal or wood.

Things would have been much better if Traeger would have called their creation a pellet smoker all those years ago, because that is what excel in.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline MadFoodScientist

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I am curious how it compares to previous pellet grills I have used.  Both the Cookshack and the Memphis grill do a good sear but the sear area is small.  I was wondering how the Mak compares for grilling.  Also, I was curious if the whole flame zone is really usuable?  Also, does fire come through the holes of the flame zone?  I appreciate it!
Mak 2 Star General
Big Steel Keg
Louisiana Grill CS-540

Offline rwalters

New Flame Zone arrived
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I am curious how it compares to previous pellet grills I have used.  Both the Cookshack and the Memphis grill do a good sear but the sear area is small.  I was wondering how the Mak compares for grilling.  Also, I was curious if the whole flame zone is really usuable?  Also, does fire come through the holes of the flame zone?  I appreciate it!
-Not knowing what previous pellet grills you have cooked on, I venture to take a guess... it’ll blow them out of the water, especially if you invest in the sear grates. I had a Traeger about 12 years ago. There is no comparison.

-I have never cooked on a Memphis or Cookshack, but I am willing to bet $$ that they sear considerably better than a MAK.  Honestly, if super high temp grilling/searing is your top priority, I’d go Memphis if your budget allows.

-The fire does not come through the holes, but when cooking at high temps, the amount of radiant heat coming from the Flame Zone pan is extremely intense. If grilling fattier cuts, you will get “licks of flame” as the fat flashes as it hits the FZ cover.

- One of the biggest selling points to me was the fact that I grill on my MAK just like I would a regular gas/charcoal grill. Yes, the whole cooking surface is useable when grilling. Front to back, side to side.

Bottom line, it may not have the searing power of the Memphis or CS, but as an everyday grill, I think it’ll easily outperform the Memphis and CS.

With the Flame Zone covers removed and with the Pellet Boss set to high, I am clocking temps at the cooking surface of 625-650° across the entire grate. Plenty hot for grilling.

How often do you need temps above 625-650?  You could always lay a small cast iron pan/griddle on your MAK and have a crazy-hot sear zone.

I guess it boils down to your priorities. What’s most important to you?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 12:17:19 PM »
If I did not have the MAK searing grates, I would love to see how grill grates would work sitting over that MAK Flame Zone.................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

New Flame Zone arrived
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 12:31:38 PM »
If I did not have the MAK searing grates, I would love to see how grill grates would work sitting over that MAK Flame Zone.................
I have tried both... I prefer the MAK sear grates. I get much better browning in-between the sear marks (lines).

Now reversed sear grates (upside down)... that’s a whole-nuther story... but then again, MAK has their griddle.

Dang, MAK has really covered their bases...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:45:46 PM by rwalters »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 12:39:11 PM »
Its a MAK world, we just smoke in it  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven