Author Topic: A new General reports for duty!  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Lantern

Re: A new General reports for duty!
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »
LOL!! I'm digging that flaming pic with the burgers.

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »
MAD----since your grill is brand new, the amount of heat refraction on the very shiny steel really keeps the heat flowing. I would recommend turning down you temperature a bit until the grill is well seasoned. Once the interior steel dulls down, the refracted heat will be a little bit less. I would not move away from 80/20 burger meat. Otherwise it is too lean and will fall a part and have no flavor. FAT=FLAVOR.

You need to save and name your graphs before you unplug the meat probe. Also, the probes should not be used above 350F in your grill. They are not meant for high heat cooking.

Welcome to the MAK Grills family! Looks like you are well on the way to living a more flavor-filled life!
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline rwalters

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »
Fantastic pics!  Looks like you have hit the ground running :)

Regarding the flare-ups... I cook 75/25ish burgers more often than not.  Even with my well seasoned MAK, I find 450 to be a bit to much for the FATTY meats.  Cooking the fattier meats like 75/25 with the Pellet Boss set to 375-400 with the Flame Zone covers removed, turns out amazingly good burgers with no flare-ups.  Keep in mind that the cooking surface is a good 100+ degrees hotter when the FZ covers are off, than what the PB displays.  I did some fatty ribeyes a couple of weeks ago with the Pellet Boss set to 450.  I had just a few licks of flame, but it was perfect.  On the other hand, fatty burgers are just a bit to much for that intense heat.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline MadFoodScientist

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 12:20:15 PM »
MAD----since your grill is brand new, the amount of heat refraction on the very shiny steel really keeps the heat flowing. I would recommend turning down you temperature a bit until the grill is well seasoned. Once the interior steel dulls down, the refracted heat will be a little bit less. I would not move away from 80/20 burger meat. Otherwise it is too lean and will fall a part and have no flavor. FAT=FLAVOR.

You need to save and name your graphs before you unplug the meat probe. Also, the probes should not be used above 350F in your grill. They are not meant for high heat cooking.

Welcome to the MAK Grills family! Looks like you are well on the way to living a more flavor-filled life!

Thanks MrBBQ!  That makes sense on the seasoning and I will stick to 80/20 which has always been my go to for burgers.  I only used the probe for the initial smoking on the tri-tip.  I removed the probe when I removed the meat to turn up the grill for the final sear.  I will make sure to save my graphs prior to removing the probe in the future.   I appreciate all the helpful tips!
Mak 2 Star General
Big Steel Keg
Louisiana Grill CS-540

Offline MadFoodScientist

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »
Fantastic pics!  Looks like you have hit the ground running :)

Regarding the flare-ups... I cook 75/25ish burgers more often than not.  Even with my well seasoned MAK, I find 450 to be a bit to much for the FATTY meats.  Cooking the fattier meats like 75/25 with the Pellet Boss set to 375-400 with the Flame Zone covers removed, turns out amazingly good burgers with no flare-ups.  Keep in mind that the cooking surface is a good 100+ degrees hotter when the FZ covers are off, than what the PB displays.  I did some fatty ribeyes a couple of weeks ago with the Pellet Boss set to 450.  I had just a few licks of flame, but it was perfect.  On the other hand, fatty burgers are just a bit to much for that intense heat.

Thanks Robb!  Those are some good tips.  I am hoping to grill some steaks tonight for dinner (as long as it does not rain tonight).
Mak 2 Star General
Big Steel Keg
Louisiana Grill CS-540

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 01:04:56 PM »
I found that when I had my Traeger Jr I would curse not being able to get it above 300.  Now with the Mac 350 is almost overkill.  But I’m no pro and don’t care about grill marks.

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 02:20:58 PM »
LOL!! I'm digging that flaming pic with the burgers.

Burger King ain't got nothing compared to MAK flame kissed burgers! LOL!
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 05:51:33 PM »
The food off your MAK is looking good already!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 08:49:26 PM »
Congrats on your new cooker! Food looks delicious! For those that are having problems with the Photobucket photos, here are the links to a Photobucket fix. It is a browser add on for Chrome and Firefox. Not sure about Safari. It works great and is virus and ad free.

Firefox add on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?hotlinkfix=1526518049377

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:35 PM »
Very Very Nice ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.