Author Topic: Putting the 1 Star c flame zone thru it’s paces...  (Read 2242 times)

Offline the wookiee...

Putting the 1 Star c flame zone thru it’s paces...
« Reply #-1 on: May 26, 2018, 03:23:43 PM »
Wow wow wow.

So using this thing as much as possible to figure it’s tendencies since getting it. BPS had it to me on a Tuesday (ordered prior Thursday; fast!). I put it together alone as I was too excited to wait for help. Easypeasy (but I’m a big dude). Bob Evans log fatty 1st, and since the inaugural I’ve done brisket, pork shoulder, sausages, burgers, salmon, griddled shrimp, pork ribs, corn in husk, skewered asparagus, beans... and I’m sure a few other things I’ve forgotten.

This thing throws out so much smoke compared to others I’ve cooked on I keep checking to make sure nothing is wrong! Great smoke even 275-300... starts to flicker from there but totoally another league for a pellet grill. griddle and searing grates really makes this sucker versatile with flame zone. WiFi is great.

Only major thing to pay attention to is the radiant heat off the grease plate (using flame zone set up) effects long slow cooks done on bottom rack-  really only an issue if loading it up once you are ware of it.

Thanks for all your advice and reviews that led me to this beauty.

I’m terribly smitten. My children named it ‘Felicity the tank engine’.
LSG 24x30 offset vertical with warmer/ Mak 1 Star with flame zone/ Weber JJ/ Napoleon Gemini dual hood gasser & infrared (wall2wall grillgrates)/ umai+foodsaver=dry age...

Offline rwalters

« on: May 26, 2018, 05:43:09 PM »
Awesome!!! But where are the pics?!?! ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:00:13 PM by rwalters »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline the wookiee...

Re: Putting the 1 Star c flame zone thru it’s paces...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »
I’ve been naughty... here it is chugging along now finishing some ribs at 270...
LSG 24x30 offset vertical with warmer/ Mak 1 Star with flame zone/ Weber JJ/ Napoleon Gemini dual hood gasser & infrared (wall2wall grillgrates)/ umai+foodsaver=dry age...

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 07:18:11 PM »
Nice... and looks like a sweet bbq area! The bottom and side shelf really add to the finished (and functional) look of the 1 Star :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 08:51:26 PM »
Love the bottom rack and side shelf for sure... super useful both.

I’ve never been a big fan of front shelves but that’s just me...

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 10:59:21 PM »
I love the 1 stars.  I like the smaller footprint.  I'm going to sell my 2 star and get a 1 star.  It would be easier to get in and out of my truck.  Nice looking pit partner.  Congrats to ya.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 08:38:20 AM »
So glad you're loving your new MAK!

I love the 1 stars.  I like the smaller footprint.  I'm going to sell my 2 star and get a 1 star.  It would be easier to get in and out of my truck.  Nice looking pit partner.  Congrats to ya.

Sparky, that's exactly why we stuck with a 1 Star for this last upgrade we did! 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »
The 1 Star has a larger footprint if you just go by wheel placement. I originally leaned towards the 1 Star because of this. Assuming it would be more stable with a wider base.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline Roget

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »
Have you, by chance, been cooking unicorn meat?  :D :D :D
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 09:44:20 AM »
The 1 Star is better looking than the 2 Star. However, that 2 Star is a looker in its own rights.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
Have you, by chance, been cooking unicorn meat?  :D :D :D

If it ends up searing really well, yes I’ll throw some unicorn on there...

a respectable 'week-night' steak is what I’m hoping for.

i've got a dedicated infrared head on my gasser that gets to 1200 degrees, and i can go santa-maria style inches away from roaring coals on up to about 4 feet above on my offset firebox (with warmer box plate removed) for those killer steaks... (+ little weber jumbo joe)

i did get the mak searing grates and the griddle and have an arsenal of cast iron i can throw in there... i would like respectable sear marks and good browning for a solid wood fired steak during the week. If it can = throw on the unicorn, If not just some 2horned winged horse... ;)

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 01:27:41 PM »
The 1 Star is better looking than the 2 Star. However, that 2 Star is a looker in its own rights.

As a Missouri boy who grew up chasing bigmouth in shiny boats with sparkly lures... that sexy shine was tempting! 1 Star made more sense but I must agree they are both lookers...

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 09:09:54 PM »

Mak 1 fired up Slow roasted San marzanos for 3&1/2 hrs at 275 then flipped to high for strip loins, portabellas and potato bread.. when grill was on high/grill infrared read 525-650 depending on how long lidnwas closed. Good enough for government work / ‘weeknight’ steaks.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 11:01:06 PM »
Awesome! So does this mean the poor gasser gets the boot?

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 03:14:38 AM »
Awesome! So does this mean the poor gasser gets the boot?

No way!!! Love my big dual headed gasser. I have ample deck space. The gasser will be getting jealous when it’s used less and It’s spunky unicorn deckmate getting so much love though....