Author Topic: Jaxon is now a pelletizer...  (Read 15897 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Jaxon is now a pelletizer...
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »
Thanks, y'all...
I'll connect the Wi-Fi to the tablet this afternoon and see if I can get to set up for a cook using the app.
My first attempt will be chicken breasts with skin and bone.
I'm glad you guys have the experience I'm lacking

Just relax Jack and cook them the way you always do. Cook didn't change, just the cooker.  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Roget

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 12:17:26 PM »
Thanks, y'all...
I'll connect the Wi-Fi to the tablet this afternoon and see if I can get to set up for a cook using the app.
My first attempt will be chicken breasts with skin and bone.
I'm glad you guys have the experience I'm lacking

Just relax Jack and cook them the way you always do. Cook didn't change, just the cooker.  ;)

I agree. I was late to the pellet party myself. I have had my first pellet grill (the Davy Crockett) only six months & the Jim Bowie only two months, and I have learned a lot about cooking on them in that short time.
I'm no expert on the pellet grill. Never will be, but the adjustments have been minor. I am so glad I made the leap.
Like you, I'm glad there are more experienced pellet grill owners here to help me with any questions I have.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 08:53:10 PM »
nuttin to it jack. Season your meat. Flip a switch set your temp. When the pit comes up to temp, put your grub in. Use the temp probe and pull the meat when it reaches your desired temp.

Easy Peasy………….
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 12:08:33 PM »
nuttin to it jack. Season your meat. Flip a switch set your temp. When the pit comes up to temp, put your grub in. Use the temp probe and pull the meat when it reaches your desired temp.

Easy Peasy………….

Pellet grills are great for that lazy afternoon mowing the lawn and throwing back a few Guinness.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 12:26:48 PM »
did you order the downdraft yet. I have one and dont like it and will gift to you if you like. Its perfect other than being black from being in the GMG Jim Bowie.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
did you order the downdraft yet. I have one and dont like it and will gift to you if you like. Its perfect other than being black from being in the GMG Jim Bowie.
What issues do have with it?   Was thinking of getting or making one for my Rec Tec
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Roget

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 12:45:31 PM »
What issues do have with it?   Was thinking of getting or making one for my Rec Tec

I'm curious also.
I almost ordered one for both my GMG grills this morning but had second thoughts.

YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »
I have had one in my Grid Iron for the past 5 years and no problems whatsoever. Even temps and more smoke with it. The same with my Davy Crockett. I think for the GMG's a downdraft is a must. For a lot of the others it is negotiable.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »
GMG grills really react well to the downdraft hood. It is a must have for all GMG owners.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »
I guess my experience is different on my Jim Bowie. I get much more even temps side to side without the downdraft and the temps are much more in-line with the controller. With the down draft it was tough to maintain temps @ 150 - temps would climb throughout making jerky. I also use the bull rack a lot and have lots of food in the Jim Bowie  - I had less problems with the downdraft on with one or two butts, or two three chickens - but load it down with 6-8 butts or a full bull rack system, or a 60 lb whole hog - the downdraft was causing all sorts of inconsistency. I eventually left it on, but opened the gate on the down-draft - That helped some, but a few months back I completely took it off while cleaning and have almost zero issues since.

Please dont take me wrong - I'm not knocking the product, it obviously works great for some - but did not for me. The interwebs are full of pros and cons. I've never given a negative review or anything. I did not keep track of pellet consumption, so I cant say if it helped there or not. If it did, it was not much as I cant tell any differneces.

However, its just sitting there not being used - someone may as well take it. I'm not going to reinstall it. Whomever will need to get the longer bolts for the chimmey, as I did not take those off.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »
Interesting, I did a big Bowie review about 6 years ago with the downdraft hood and it worked great.

Fast forward to modern day and probably countless revisions to the GMG controller and I guess your results may vary.

Just makes sense to lower the high placed smokestack opening. I do it to my stickburners all the time as well.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 09:27:16 PM »

Yessir, I have one on order and expect it any day now...
Thank you for your generous offer.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline A G K

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »
I guess my experience is different on my Jim Bowie. I get much more even temps side to side without the downdraft and the temps are much more in-line with the controller. With the down draft it was tough to maintain temps @ 150 - temps would climb throughout making jerky. I also use the bull rack a lot and have lots of food in the Jim Bowie  - I had less problems with the downdraft on with one or two butts, or two three chickens - but load it down with 6-8 butts or a full bull rack system, or a 60 lb whole hog - the downdraft was causing all sorts of inconsistency. I eventually left it on, but opened the gate on the down-draft - That helped some, but a few months back I completely took it off while cleaning and have almost zero issues since.

Please dont take me wrong - I'm not knocking the product, it obviously works great for some - but did not for me. The interwebs are full of pros and cons. I've never given a negative review or anything. I did not keep track of pellet consumption, so I cant say if it helped there or not. If it did, it was not much as I cant tell any differneces.

However, its just sitting there not being used - someone may as well take it. I'm not going to reinstall it. Whomever will need to get the longer bolts for the chimmey, as I did not take those off.

Do you still have the downdraft unit. I recently got a Daniel Boone & would like to experiment with it. If so let me know the shipping & whatever.

Thank You
 Alan

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 09:18:31 AM »

Yessir, I have one on order and expect it any day now...
Thank you for your generous offer.

Jaxon I will make you another generous offer......  I will come own & eat any leftovers you may have so you don't have any waste ;D ;D ;D ;D.  Have fun
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 10:53:45 AM »

Do you still have the downdraft unit. I recently got a Daniel Boone & would like to experiment with it. If so let me know the shipping & whatever.

Thank You
 Alan

Hello Alan,

Send me an address to pittkrew @ bell south . net    - (without the spaces) and I'll get it shipped out to you. Please keep us updates here as to your experiments.

Thanks
BP