Author Topic: First time fish smoking help.  (Read 2092 times)

Offline PKRobb

First time fish smoking help.
« Reply #-1 on: August 31, 2018, 10:49:23 PM »
Got a mess of fish and a pretty good brine recipe.
Unsure of temp and time to smoke on my PK?
All med 3/8” filets.

Any suggestions?
PK Grill
Cobb Premier

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: First time fish smoking help.
« on: August 31, 2018, 11:01:36 PM »
Fish doesn't like to be cooked hot.  Butter a foiled pan and but fish inside.  Indirect heat, 250-325°.  Fish is done at 140°.  Yummy.....
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 05:20:52 AM »
Don't be teasing us. What's kind of fish and what's in the brine please ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline akjeff

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
The most important things in fish smoking IMO, are don't smoke too hot(especially the first hour or two). And' after it comes out of the brine, and before it goes in the smoker, you must let it dry to form the pellicle. That is, the fish should form a dry to the touch skin on the surface. Touch it with your finger. If it's still so tacky that it clings, keep drying it until it does not. If you live in a warm/hot climate, you'll pretty much need to do it in the fridge. If it's cool enough, do it in open air with fans on it(but screened in to keep insects away). If you put the fish straight into the smoker, and/or smoke too hot, the fats/oils/proteins in the meat(I'm talking salmonids here) will ooze out to the surface, and look like crap, and be pretty unpresentable. Can't emphasize forming a pellicle enough.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
What the others said about temp is also what we've experienced; not too hot.  Applewood or alder seem to be the best woods for smoking fish.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »
The most important things in fish smoking IMO, are don't smoke too hot(especially the first hour or two). And' after it comes out of the brine, and before it goes in the smoker, you must let it dry to form the pellicle. That is, the fish should form a dry to the touch skin on the surface. Touch it with your finger. If it's still so tacky that it clings, keep drying it until it does not. If you live in a warm/hot climate, you'll pretty much need to do it in the fridge. If it's cool enough, do it in open air with fans on it(but screened in to keep insects away). If you put the fish straight into the smoker, and/or smoke too hot, the fats/oils/proteins in the meat(I'm talking salmonids here) will ooze out to the surface, and look like crap, and be pretty unpresentable. Can't emphasize forming a pellicle enough.

Jeff

SOUND ADVICE!!!!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 07:53:49 AM »
The idea behind smoked fish, well salmon at least is not to cook it but smoke it to dry out the flesh. Similar to making jerky. Any temperatures over 145* - 155* with fish and you start the cooking process. For the best results cooking the fish should be avoided. Unless you have a smoker that you can control the heat that low with I suggest using a dehydrator if you have one. Cold smoke the fish as best you can for that flavor then finish off in the dehydrator. Keep us posted as to how it ends up.
MAK #3591

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »
The idea behind smoked fish, well salmon at least is not to cook it but smoke it to dry out the flesh. Similar to making jerky. Any temperatures over 145* - 155* with fish and you start the cooking process. For the best results cooking the fish should be avoided. Unless you have a smoker that you can control the heat that low with I suggest using a dehydrator if you have one. Cold smoke the fish as best you can for that flavor then finish off in the dehydrator. Keep us posted as to how it ends up.

I think that may be a regional definition Dave....When you think of Lox, or "smoked Salmon"...it is very moist, and with only the lightest hint of any smoke.
I do like fish jerky - but it would not be my choice to serve it with capers, sour cream and paper thin sliced shallots....So it depends on what the objective is....I receive cases of Copper River salmon every year from friends that live in Copper Center AK, and have a fish wheel in the Copper River. Their style of smoking/canning is different than any we see in the lower 48. Yet - I like them all..... ;) :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline PKRobb

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 04:01:18 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. Butterflied semi air dried mackerel salted lightly then spread with a thin coat of flavored baste mixture my dad gave me. Not sure what’s in it ? If it tastes good, I’ll coax the recipe from him. Using pecan wood chips, since that’s all we have right now. Pictures and final process to follow.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 05:43:33 PM by PKRobb »
PK Grill
Cobb Premier

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 05:26:47 PM »

I think that may be a regional definition Dave....When you think of Lox, or "smoked Salmon"...it is very moist, and with only the lightest hint of any smoke.
I do like fish jerky - but it would not be my choice to serve it with capers, sour cream and paper thin sliced shallots....So it depends on what the objective is....I receive cases of Copper River salmon every year from friends that live in Copper Center AK, and have a fish wheel in the Copper River. Their style of smoking/canning is different than any we see in the lower 48. Yet - I like them all..... ;) :D

I agree but the main point I was attempting to make is not to cook the fish. A light smoke up front then dehydrate until desired texture is achieved is just one way. I'm from the PNW so Salmon is typically targeted for smoked fish. Heck a little chief smoker can be another tool for doing that with good results. The OP didn't specify what type of fish so I was only suggesting what we do. No doubt plenty of smoking options dependent on the fish species. Actually the key is how the fish is prepared IMHO such as a good so brine recipe which in turn helps to control the texture desired be it moist or like jerky.
MAK #3591

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
Agreed Dave - the brine is an important factor. There are some good brine recipes out there....got some you would like to share with us? We love recipes!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline akjeff

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 11:34:39 PM »
What we do with our salmon is more correctly called kippering, or hot smoked. The fish is cooked in the process of smoking it. Afterwards we either vac pac and freeze, or pressure cook it in cans or jars to preserve, as hot smoked fish has no shelf life to speak of. Whereas when it's truly cold smoked, it can be stored at room temp like beef jerky. The native folks(and also some friends of mine) do a true cold smoke and dry the fish. When done right, it is excellent. Takes some experience to get it right, along with dedication, as it can take several days. I take the lazy way, and hot smoke! :-[

As for brine, I like a very simple formula of 2 cups brown sugar and 1 cup kosher salt for every gallon of ice cold water. Brine for an hour and a half. Rinse in cold water, and then air dry to form the pellicle.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 08:22:25 AM »
Agreed Dave - the brine is an important factor. There are some good brine recipes out there....got some you would like to share with us? We love recipes!
I have had some pretty good success with the following. Key is not to cook the flesh but to smoke it. It the smoker temperature exceeds 165* you need to make adjustments.

Brine:
1/3 cup kosher salt
2 cups brown sugar
2 tbl black pepper
1 tbl garlic salt
1 tbl onion salt
1 tbl celery salt
1 tbl dry mustard (Colemans, yellow can, my favorite)

Roll fish in dry brine. Refrigerate roughly 24 hrs (less if fish pieces are thin). Put chunks on smoker racks and let stand for about an hour, or until the pieces glaze over slightly. Smoke using apple or alder chips. Time depends on your smoker and how warm it gets. Plenty of variable to watch so there is no solid times to remove the meat from the smoker.
MAK #3591

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
A warning on cold-smoking fish...

There have been numerous cases of botulism from uncured cold-smoked fish, particularly salmon, in recent years, which is why a majority of the smoked salmon you now see being sold has been hot-smoked (which also cooks the fish).

If I were cold-smoking salmon I would definitely add some Cure #1 to the brine at the rate of 1 tsp per quart of brine, or 1 tsp per 5 lbs of fish (or 1/2 tsp per every 2 1/2 lbs) if dry-brining. 

I know someone is likely to say, "We've done it for years...,"  but if you're likely to brine it anyway, then why chance it?  Add the Cure #1 as a precaution.

Just my 2¢...
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 11:58:53 AM »
A warning on cold-smoking fish...

There have been numerous cases of botulism from uncured cold-smoked fish, particularly salmon, in recent years, which is why a majority of the smoked salmon you now see being sold has been hot-smoked (which also cooks the fish).

If I were cold-smoking salmon I would definitely add some Cure #1 to the brine at the rate of 1 tsp per quart of brine, or 1 tsp per 5 lbs of fish (or 1/2 tsp per every 2 1/2 lbs) if dry-brining. 

I know someone is likely to say, "We've done it for years...,"  but if you're likely to brine it anyway, then why chance it?  Add the Cure #1 as a precaution.

Agreed, It doesn't affect the results and is good insurance. Especially if the fish is purchased rather than fresh from the water way. Even then we don't know for certain what that fish has been exposed to. Nearly 100% of the fish i have smoked was fresh right out of the Pacific Ocean. Now that we have relocated to Idaho I need to depend on Costco sockeye or whatever else i can find that is reasonably fresh. All the more reason to use cure #1.

Just my 2¢...
MAK #3591