Author Topic: A complete failure of a rib cook.  (Read 4060 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
A complete failure of a rib cook.
« Reply #-1 on: September 12, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »
26 love time.  I love smoking with my 26 kettle. 

Sometimes things don't always turn out the way you think it will.  This is the first time using weber charcoal and using hickory chucks.

I placed my hickory chucks under the charcoal.  Never did this method before either.  I have always put the chucks on top off the charcoal.

A little honey bee on the rib.

Set up my SnS and my 26 for smoking.

I will say that I'm my opinion the temp on this cook was too high.  270-290°.   After 2 hours this is how they looked.

I'm really not happy.  The sweetness of the rub and the high heat turned the rib too dark for my taste.

Some foil love might help.

After one hour wrapped up.

Put back on to set up a little.  Toothpick ready

Cut up.

Good bite to them but the taste was awful.  The hickory and the high heat made this ribs super icky.  Way too much smoke flavor. 

Still on that rib journey to find the perfect rib.

PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Ka Honu

Re: A complete failure of a rib cook.
« on: September 12, 2018, 07:46:38 PM »
sparky - Don't feel too bad; even Pappy & I make the (very) occasional mistake. I'm guessing it won't happen often.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »
Gus, what I'm going to say might be tough for you to grip, but after watching all of your rib cooks with enthusiasm and a Fat Tire, me thinks you have already reached perfection brother. But it's tough at the top.....how do you top perfection?  8)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 08:23:00 PM »
They still look good Sparky!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 09:25:11 PM »
Um, you did ask Kimmie if she wanted them  :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »
I feel your pain, Sparky.
I never know how my ribs will turn out...most are edible, but now and then, I get dog food out of the them.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 10:52:37 AM »
They look good to me too
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »
Good looking ribs.

275 is not a bad temp for cooking ribs.

I am not a big fan of hickory.

Not sure if it was the Weber charcoal with hickory involved.

I never thought it was possible for you to think you had a bad rib cook.............but if this was a bad cook, it is probably your first and last one....... :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 05:54:01 PM »
I have to wonder and ask... how much did the Minion method affect the flavor?  I don't like the Minion method because I think it creates a dirty burn, and don't care for the flavor it produces.  Perhaps the Weber charcoal is particularly bad for using that method.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »
They look great to me!!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 08:40:33 PM »
I have to wonder and ask... how much did the Minion method affect the flavor?  I don't like the Minion method because I think it creates a dirty burn, and don't care for the flavor it produces.  Perhaps the Weber charcoal is particularly bad for using that method.

Cliff I agree with your take on this. I always thought something was amiss when I used the minion method using Kingsford. It has a specific taste profile which over time I decided wasn't what I wanted or liked. It was almost a kerosene sort of taste. I switched to Royal Oak and life was good again. But....this is a personal taste. Whatever tastes best for you is the right choice. Just my two cents....

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »

Cliff I agree with your take on this. I always thought something was amiss when I used the minion method using Kingsford. It has a specific taste profile which over time I decided wasn't what I wanted or liked. It was almost a kerosene sort of taste. I switched to Royal Oak and life was good again. But....this is a personal taste. Whatever tastes best for you is the right choice. Just my two cents....
You have me curious. So no minion method with Kingsford? Do you just use RO for low and slow? Teach me Obi wan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
sparky - Don't feel too bad; even Pappy & I make the (very) occasional mistake. I'm guessing it won't happen often.
The Turtle is always wise and is correct as usual.

Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 09:34:02 PM »

You have me curious. So no minion method with Kingsford? Do you just use RO for low and slow? Teach me Obi wan

Pappy, I grew up with Kingsford. It was what my family used most of the time. And I suspect it was the most available for most people so it's flavor profile was kind of ....expected. After cooking with Royal Oak a few times I noticed quite a different taste. In a head to head trial I liked the RO much more and haven't looked back. Again though, it's a personal thing, you might think differently, and you wouldn't be wrong for you. To me RO is a cleaner taste. :-\

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 09:48:20 PM »

Pappy, I grew up with Kingsford. It was what my family used most of the time. And I suspect it was the most available for most people so it's flavor profile was kind of ....expected. After cooking with Royal Oak a few times I noticed quite a different taste. In a head to head trial I liked the RO much more and haven't looked back. Again though, it's a personal thing, you might think differently, and you wouldn't be wrong for you. To me RO is a cleaner taste. :-\
Thank you sir. I have no dog in the fight. Seems like around me only Kingsford has the great deals during the summer. May need to look closer. I don't go through a lot of charcoal do no a huge deal either way.

Thanks again!

Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109