Author Topic: Gobble, Gobble!  (Read 558 times)

Offline akjeff

Gobble, Gobble!
« Reply #-1 on: November 22, 2018, 09:22:05 PM »
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Anyone else cook their bird in the MAK?

Ours turned out great. Pretty much used Big Poppas video as a rough guideline. Brined it overnight, in a solution of salt, maple syrup, and bourbon. Put a bouquet of poultry herbs in some olive oil, and brought it to a simmer, and let it cool. Rubbed the bird with the infused oil, dusted it with poultry seasoning and pepper, and set on a rack in the roasting pan. Scattered some mirepoix in the pan with some chicken stock and white wine. Cooked it on SMOKE for 2 hours, and then cranked it up to 350 till it was done. Tented it for 45 minutes, and chow time. Wife did the sides. Garlic mashed cauliflower, keto gravy, green beans, no sugar cranberry sauce, and keto faux cornbread/cranberry muffins. All in all, a really low carb dinner. Stuffed!

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline KJRsmoker

Re: Gobble, Gobble!
« on: November 22, 2018, 09:55:00 PM »
I cooked two 12 pound turkeys on my MAK for Thanksgiving today.  I did not brine overnight.  Took them out about an hour before putting on smoker.  Rinsed and patted dry.  Boiled the gizzards in chicken stock for making the stuffing.  Also made an injection of 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of chicken stock, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp poultry seasoning (sage, thyme, rosemary, salt, white pepper, garlic powder).  After the stuffing was done, I rubbed down each bird with rosemary infused olive oil and then coated with the same poultry seasoning used in the injection.  After injecting, I stuffed each bird.  The MAK was set at 275 with CookinPellets Hickory.  After 3.5 hours, the birds reached approximately 165 IT so I took them off.  Let them rest while the sides were finishing up.  Both turkeys were extremely juicy and very flavorful.  This is the 3 year I've done my Thanksgiving turkeys on the MAK and they've always turned out awesome.  (And...no...they were not unicorn turkeys.  I'll upload some pictures tomorrow.  I'm a little tired after several days of preparation and eating way too much food.)
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline rwalters

Gobble, Gobble!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 11:24:35 PM »
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Anyone else cook their bird in the MAK?

Ours turned out great. Pretty much used Big Poppas video as a rough guideline. Brined it overnight, in a solution of salt, maple syrup, and bourbon. Put a bouquet of poultry herbs in some olive oil, and brought it to a simmer, and let it cool. Rubbed the bird with the infused oil, dusted it with poultry seasoning and pepper, and set on a rack in the roasting pan. Scattered some mirepoix in the pan with some chicken stock and white wine. Cooked it on SMOKE for 2 hours, and then cranked it up to 350 till it was done. Tented it for 45 minutes, and chow time. Wife did the sides. Garlic mashed cauliflower, keto gravy, green beans, no sugar cranberry sauce, and keto faux cornbread/cranberry muffins. All in all, a really low carb dinner. Stuffed!

Jeff
Nicely done!!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)