Author Topic: 2 star mak out of stock ?  (Read 5730 times)

Offline Pac Man

Re: 2 star mak out of stock ?
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 05:25:51 PM »
Very much appreciate the update Pac Man! Please keep 'em coming...
You're welcome! We'll be rolling out more updates and info as we get nearer to the official launch. Stay tuned!
MAK 2-Star General
Weber Original Kettle 22-inch
HM Lump Charcoal Barrel Burner

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 09:27:08 AM »
I did test the newer software with the roaming probe. The new software produces even more smoke then before. The roaming probe is just another cool feature for MAK. Plus it is easier to clean when you need to do that. The new temp probes will be a nice touch. I have been using a Fireboard with all my pits including the MAK. The new features will be nice. The temp probes are a nice improvement when using the Pellet Boss.

I also have been testing the roaming probe and it is awesome, particularly if you are a geek about cooking temps where the food is being cooked.  I do most of my MAK cooks on a 3/4 upper grate and had always noticed that the ambient temps were higher than the Pellet Boss setpoint.  Using this new probe idea allows it to be placed on that upper grate so the PB is measuring from there, not the lower, back right.  I did not get the new software (yet!), but I understand there are some other features to that as well as what PACMAN mentioned.

I think folks are gonna LOVE these new features.  Once again, MAK has innovated while providing a path for "older" units to be upgraded if desired.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline victor3atp

• What's with the Negative Waves, Moriarty?
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 10:45:21 PM »
I do most of my MAK cooks on a 3/4 upper grate and had always noticed that the ambient temps were higher than the Pellet Boss setpoint.

sschorr,
I also use the 3/4 upper grate and noticed about 25° higher temps there as measured with a Thermoworks Smoke. Always wondered if that was a good number. What are you seeing as the difference?
Thanks, Victor
MAK 2-Star 3293
Weber Summit S-470
Sutherland (aka Oddball) Looks Like Me – 40 Years Ago...

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »
I do most of my MAK cooks on a 3/4 upper grate and had always noticed that the ambient temps were higher than the Pellet Boss setpoint.

sschorr,
I also use the 3/4 upper grate and noticed about 25° higher temps there as measured with a Thermoworks Smoke. Always wondered if that was a good number. What are you seeing as the difference?
Thanks, Victor

Victor,

20-25* higher heat is what I measured.  I actually did quite a bit of testing when I first got my MAK.  I measured with a my Fireboard and a Thermoworks IR gun with ambient K-probe, and a Maverick XR-50.  All showed that variance between the temps at the main grate versus the upper grate.

The new roaming Thermo-Couple allows placing the MAK's TC on the upper grate.  Now, when I set the Pellet Boss to a temp, my remote measuring probes reflect the same as the PB's setpoint - exactly what I hoped for!

Sam
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450

Offline rwalters

2 star mak out of stock ?
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »

sschorr,
Thanks, Victor

sschorr,
Thanks, Victor

Victor,

20-25* higher heat is what I measured.  I actually did quite a bit of testing when I first got my MAK.  I measured with a my Fireboard and a Thermoworks IR gun with ambient K-probe, and a Maverick XR-50.  All showed that variance between the temps at the main grate versus the upper grate.

The new roaming Thermo-Couple allows placing the MAK's TC on the upper grate.  Now, when I set the Pellet Boss to a temp, my remote measuring probes reflect the same as the PB's setpoint - exactly what I hoped for!

Sam

I have also been testing the new roaming probe for MAK, and yes, it is a very nice improvement that puts the cook fully in charge of creating a desired temp anywhere in the cooker by simply placing the probe in or near that area of the cooking chamber. It works!

That said, and prior to me having the roaming probe, I actually came to love the temp differential between the top/bottom grate. Here’s why... Unless I am doing a large cook, all of my low n slow cooks are done on the top grate. Knowing that the top grate runs about 20-25° warmer than the bottom grate means that I can set the Pellet Boss controller to a lower temp than I really want (205°) and actually be cooking at my desired temp of 225-230° on the upper grate. I see two advantages here 1) lower temps on the controller means more smoke production 2) lower temps on the controller means fewer pellets burned.

So, even though I have the roaming probe, I do not see myself moving it often during low n slow cooks for the reasons mentioned. Now if I have the cooker loaded down (top/bottom) I would most likely place it on the upper grate to create a more even (top/bottom) temp.

It really does put you in control :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline victor3atp

• What's with the Negative Waves, Moriarty?
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 01:31:22 AM »
lower temps on the controller means fewer pellets burned.
Robb,

You are truly a man after my own heart. My employees accuse me of being cheap, but I tell them I'm just frugal. (Though they never seem to complain when I cook for them.) Saving a few pellets to achieve the same results has got to be the ultimate in "frugality" though :). Please allow me to offer another use for the temperature variance. We occasionally do large, mixed cooks for family gatherings. Typically, it consists of beef short and back ribs, plus pork St. Louis ribs on the MAK (plus a couple other things on the Weber). Obviously, anything on the Weber are "fast cook" items, so the real challenge is getting the different style ribs on the MAK done at close to the same time since they are "slow cook". In order to accommodate mis-calculation in cooking times, I put them in shallow, racked steam table pans and swap them from top to bottom to slow or accelerate the cook times as needed.

Of course, it never seems to time out just right, meaning the warming box on the 2-Star helps out a lot too, but being able to vary the cooking temp has turned out to be an advantage in getting things to come out at least close to the same time.
MAK 2-Star 3293
Weber Summit S-470
Sutherland (aka Oddball) Looks Like Me – 40 Years Ago...

Offline rwalters

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:29 AM »
lower temps on the controller means fewer pellets burned.
Robb,

You are truly a man after my own heart. My employees accuse me of being cheap, but I tell them I'm just frugal. (Though they never seem to complain when I cook for them.) Saving a few pellets to achieve the same results has got to be the ultimate in "frugality" though :). Please allow me to offer another use for the temperature variance. We occasionally do large, mixed cooks for family gatherings. Typically, it consists of beef short and back ribs, plus pork St. Louis ribs on the MAK (plus a couple other things on the Weber). Obviously, anything on the Weber are "fast cook" items, so the real challenge is getting the different style ribs on the MAK done at close to the same time since they are "slow cook". In order to accommodate mis-calculation in cooking times, I put them in shallow, racked steam table pans and swap them from top to bottom to slow or accelerate the cook times as needed.

Of course, it never seems to time out just right, meaning the warming box on the 2-Star helps out a lot too, but being able to vary the cooking temp has turned out to be an advantage in getting things to come out at least close to the same time.
Great point! Just goes to show that the temp differential “weakness” that so many freak out about, can actually be a strength. Just gotta learn how to work it to your advantage which it sounds like you’ve done :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 08:47:19 AM »
Folks,

I just wish to point out that the roaming TC does NOT eliminate the temp variance between the main grates and upper grates.  It just means the Pellet Boss will work to keep the temp where the TC is placed at the setpoint.  If you place the roaming TC on the main grate, or leave it in its holder bracket that is close the current, fixed placement, the Pellet Boss will measure at that location and work to keep it at the setpoint.  So, setting 250* while the TC is on the main grate will still result with temps higher at the upper grates.  Of course, I am assuming MAK has not changed other aspects of how the Pellet Boss maintains the setpoint that would mitigate this.

Again, for me, I like the capability of having the TC where my food is being cooked - most of my cooks do not use both main and upper capacity.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450

Offline rwalters

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »
Folks,

I just wish to point out that the roaming TC does NOT eliminate the temp variance between the main grates and upper grates.  It just means the Pellet Boss will work to keep the temp where the TC is placed at the setpoint.  If you place the roaming TC on the main grate, or leave it in its holder bracket that is close the current, fixed placement, the Pellet Boss will measure at that location and work to keep it at the setpoint.  So, setting 250* while the TC is on the main grate will still result with temps higher at the upper grates.  Of course, I am assuming MAK has not changed other aspects of how the Pellet Boss maintains the setpoint that would mitigate this.

Again, for me, I like the capability of having the TC where my food is being cooked - most of my cooks do not use both main and upper capacity.
Very valid points! I really think this new roaming thermocouple will give tremendous flexibility to MAK owners. From giving the cook the ability to control temps in a way that works best for him/her to easier cleaning being the probe comes to you vs you go to it... :)