Author Topic: Temp is running up on Pit Boss kamado  (Read 12597 times)

Offline scrowder

Temp is running up on Pit Boss kamado
« Reply #-1 on: June 08, 2019, 07:30:34 PM »
I bought a brand new Pit Boss kamado-style grill and even if I barely have the top and bottom vents open, I can’t get the temp much lower than 270/280 at the grate level.

Has anyone experienced this on the same grill and figured out a fix?

Offline rwalters

Re: Temp is running up on Pit Boss kamado
« on: June 09, 2019, 08:37:49 AM »
I have not cooked on that specific kamado... but I have done a ton of cooking on Kamado Joe’s. Can you describe your startup procedure? Also, once your kamado is sitting at 250°ish, what do your vents settings typically look like?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline scrowder

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »
I use a chimney starter and let the coals get good and hot and then dump them in the firebox. Then I add more lump charcoal and some wood chunks and drop the heat deflector in and close the lid with both vents barely open. Temp still goes over 280.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 10:50:24 AM »
Here is what I do with my Akorn Kamado. I will fill my firebox with lump. I put one starter cube in the center and light it. Once the initial smoke dies down a little (I give it about 3 minutes) I add a few chunks of wood around the fire and put a couple of small pieces of lump on the fire. I then put on my deflector, drip pan and grate. Both my top and bottom vents are wide open. I monitor the grate temperature with a digital thermometer. I use the Smoke from thermoworks. Once the temperature hits around 150 I will close both vents to about 1/2 open. When the temperature gets to 200 I close both vents to about 1/4 on the bottom and between 1/4 and 1/2 on top. This will maintain temperatures between 225 and 235 with my Akorn for several hours. You will get spikes when the wood catches, but I ignore them. I don't touch the bottom vent at all after the last setting. If needed I will adjust the top vent a little. Make sure you give it at least 10 minutes to adjust to the new settings. Hope this helps.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline rwalters

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 11:19:33 AM »
Yep, that’s solid advice ^^^^

Start there and tweak as needed. Sounds like you are starting off w/ way to big a fire. Kamados require a tiny fire to keep them running in the low/mid 200’s. Start small and allow the fire to grow a bit from there vs starting big and trying to choke the fire back.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline scrowder

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 01:39:29 PM »
Do you close the lid right after you put the deflector and grate on?

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 02:12:04 PM »
I always did with vents wide open. Start making vent adjustments when you are 30ish° from your target.

Offline scrowder

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
Thank you both! I will try this and update the thread.