Author Topic: DIET Chili?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Hub

DIET Chili?
« Reply #-1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
Diet Chili?  What a concept!!

The title is not an oxymoron – you can have your chili and eat it too and not overindulge.
Yes, this wonderful concoction really is chili and it really is rich and hearty and it really is lowered in fat, calories and carbohydrates.  I’m not a nutritionist but I can add up the weights, quantities, calories, carbs and contents of all the ingredients and come up with a pretty accurate statement of the nutritional value of this “comfort” food.  The recipe has taken me about a dozen years to get to the point where I quit changing it.  I like it any time of year, but especially when it is cold outside.  If you’re concerned, you can have a 16 oz. portion (that’s a decent bowl of it) for 405 calories and about 16 grams of carbohydrates.  If you’re not dieting, you’ll like it anyway!

Ingredients

1 28 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
1 16 oz. Can Pinto Beans
1 10 oz. Can Rotel (original)
1 13 oz. Can Mushroom Stems & Pieces (trust me on this one)
1 15 oz. Can Beef Broth
2 Cups Water
21 oz. Lean Ground Turkey (93% lean)
24 oz. 80/20 Ground Beef
*1 Carrol Shelby Chili Spice “kit” (minus the cayenne -- see "service" below)
2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder

*You can sub a Wick Fowler kit or approx 6 Tbsp chili powder and 2 Tbsp cumin plus a little paprika

Preparation

Note:  The key to keeping this chili in reasonable territory calorie and fat wise is the way you put it together.  Brown the meats in either a big skillet or a stew pot and DRAIN them using a good colander.  Even with the fairly low-fat meat used, you’ll still snatch away 12-16 oz. of fatty liquid.  The chili will look and taste better without it.

Add the dry ingredients (actually chili powder and cumin in a cello bag from the kit) to the moist but drained meat in the pot.  Stir to distribute the flavor.  Once the meat is coated, add in the wet ingredients:  Use all the juices in each can.  Chop the mushrooms into small, finely diced bits (this is a meat “stretcher” and makes the end result seem more meaty without adding any significant calories or carbs. 

Maintain at very low heat (just enough to keep the whole pot very slowly boiling).  Cook at a slow/low simmer for two hours.

Just before serving:  “Tighten” the chili with either Masa Flour or Wondra soluble flour.  If using Masa Flour combine about 1/3 cup of it with 2/3 cup water to make a thin paste, then stir it in until the consistency thickens.  If using Wondra, dust the top of the pot several times and stir it in until the consistency of the liquids is like thin gravy.  Simmer on for about another 30 minutes to assure no “flour” flavor stays behind.  I find “tightened” chili much more appealing than watery brew!

Service

Serve with crackers, elbow macaroni, or even cornbread for a delicious, if somewhat calorific combination.  Most often I eat mine with just some finely chopped fresh onions and a very light sprinkle of sharp cheddar.  This makes mild chili so I sometimes add a few healthy dashes of Sriracha or other good hot sauce to give it some cojones. 

The best thing about this chili?  You can have enough of it to get nice and full without damaging any reasonable diet plan.  Even better – serve it to friends and family and don’t tell them it is low cal/low carb!  They’ll never know.

Hub 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:12:42 AM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: DIET Chili?
« on: January 17, 2013, 06:30:12 PM »

I like it..

The Turtle is going to throw a fit, but I'd still eat it.    ;D

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:11:09 PM »
Hub,
I like it!!  Sounds like a win, win for everyone.  Tee would probably like it, too.  He can still add enough hot sauce to require wearing the obligatory asbestos underwear.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:34:08 PM »
Sounds Great but I'd still put a dollup of sour cream on top :)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:39:58 PM »
Hmmm...I like the sound of this one...

And - I never thought of it but I think the Elk chili I have been making could qualify as "diet".....

I will get to work on getting the pics on Photobucket and posting it...Please look it over and tell me if you think it is diet-able. ;D

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »
The Turtle is going to throw a fit, but I'd still eat it. 

Okay, stc - as requested:  "Chili" has meat and chiles and maybe some seasonings.  By definition.  Period. 

Ground turkey isn't "food" at all and should not be allowed in human kitchens.
     Rotel plus commercial powder ain't "chiles."
     In my world chili does not have beans (but I know that's just in my world - even I have to include beans now and then to keep SWMBO happy).
     Pasta sauce has tomatoes; chili does not (except maybe a tablespoon or so of paste for flavor depth).

But if you take out the ground turkey it's a mighty fine looking Mexican-style soup/stew.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »
Turtle has a point about the origination and history of chili....

And - of course - being a multi-century reptile...He was probably there when it was invented..... :D :D :D

( Turtle - I value the food history aspect of "heritage foods"....just messing with you  ;))
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:22:02 AM »
Putting ground Turkey in chili should might be illegal in some states. Check your local laws before attempting this volatile mixture!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »
Wooo . . . this is getting wide and deep  :o    (I love it!)

Perhaps if one has to define chili then one doesn't understand the concept.  I gave up on trying to define "barbeque" years ago because it serves no purpose.  Methinks chili has parallel culinary resonance.  Ergo:  Yes, Virginia, McDonalds makes hamburgers but so do I and the twain shall never meet  ;D

Now, I'm going to the kitchen to make myself a chili stuffed omelette even though that might be illegal.  I'm feeling brave this morning.

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »
Its cold outside here in the Carolinas today (yes, I know we can't compare to what the midwest is getting clobbered with or with whatever it will be in Minot, ND today, but . . .) and I need hot comfort food.  Just got back from the store.  Gonna make my "fine looking Mexican style soup-stew" later this afternoon.  A couple of fingers of something bourbonic shall be served beforehand.  Warms the old carcas up a bit.

Hub 
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »
Its cold outside here in the Carolinas today (yes, I know we can't compare to what the midwest is getting clobbered with or with whatever it will be in Minot, ND today, but . . .) and I need hot comfort food.  Just got back from the store.  Gonna make my "fine looking Mexican style soup-stew" later this afternoon.  A couple of fingers of something bourbonic shall be served beforehand.  Warms the old carcas up a bit.

Hub

Being in the midwest (and originally FROM North Dakota) this sounds like a fine idea. The only change is I might like a wee dram of the scottish vs. bourbonic to get the carcas going...

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »
It's cold here in Ohio...very cold..so I am gonna make "Ohio chili" with gr beef and beans and tomatoes. As long as it tastes good who cares what ya call it.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

DIET Chili?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »

Hub

Being in the midwest (and originally FROM North Dakota) this sounds like a fine idea. The only change is I might like a wee dram of the scottish vs. bourbonic to get the carcas going...

David

X2......or a bit of the Irish
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »
The Turtle is going to throw a fit, but I'd still eat it. 

Okay, stc - as requested:  "Chili" has meat and chiles and maybe some seasonings.  By definition.  Period. 

Ground turkey isn't "food" at all and should not be allowed in human kitchens.
     Rotel plus commercial powder ain't "chiles."
     In my world chili does not have beans (but I know that's just in my world - even I have to include beans now and then to keep SWMBO happy).
     Pasta sauce has tomatoes; chili does not (except maybe a tablespoon or so of paste for flavor depth).

But if you take out the ground turkey it's a mighty fine looking Mexican-style soup/stew.

Funny....I googled chili and this is what popped up.

chil·i 
/ˈCHilē/
Noun
A small hot-tasting pod of a variety of capsicum, used chopped (and often dried) in sauces, relishes, and spice powders.
A spicy stew of beef and red chilies or chili powder, often with beans and tomatoes.
Synonyms
chilli - chili sauce

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »
Who is showing disrespect for our "real national bird" if it is good enough for  Benjamin its good enough for me ;) ;) ;) 

Benjamin Franklin wrote:   

I wish that the bald eagle had not been chosen as the representative of our country, he is a bird of bad moral character, he does not get his living honestly, you may have seen him perched on some dead tree, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the labor of the fishing-hawk, and when that diligent bird has at length taken a fish, and is bearing it to its nest for the support of his mate and young ones, the bald eagle pursues him and takes it from him.... Besides he is a rank coward; the little kingbird, not bigger than a sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the district. He is therefore by no means a proper emblem for the brave and honest. . . of America.. . . For a truth, the turkey is in comparison a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America . . . a bird of courage, and would not hesitate to attack a grenadier of the British guards, who should presume to invade his farmyard with a red coat on.

So i say off with their heads & eat turkey bacon & chili ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill