Author Topic: First Look: Pit Barrel Cooker  (Read 8695 times)

Offline PatioDaddio

First Look: Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #-1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »
Daddio got a new toy last spring! The great folks at the Pit Barrel Cooker Company sent me
one of their cookers to test drive. I haven't fired it up yet, but I wanted to give you an
introduction and share my first impressions.

I'm very familiar with drum cookers. I built two of what is known as an "Ugly Drum Smoker"
(UDS) in 2008 for use in competition, and they've become my go-to smokers. Drum cookers
are very simple in design, easy to use, extremely versatile, and they generally produce
consistently outstanding barbecue.

When I first saw and read about the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) online my first thought was,
"OK, it's yet another incarnation of a UDS." However, as I looked beyond the surface I
discovered that, while it is similar to a UDS, it's also really different.

Homemade drum cookers are usually made from recycled 55-gallon drums. The PBC is
made from a brand new 30-gallon drum. Once you get past the size difference the rest of
unit is very reminiscent of a standard drum cooker — except for a few major differences.

The first major difference is that the PBC is very well-made. The thing is quality from top to
bottom. Even the packaging was first-class. Here, let me show you what I mean.

As soon as you crack the box the horseshoe handles are a great testament to this being a
made-in-America cooker, and to its western (Strasburg, Colorado) roots.

17 1/2" rack, hanging rods and hook grabber (more about those later).

The charcoal basket is built like a tank!

It has a separate base with horseshoe feet to elevate it to keep it from burning your deck
or grass.

Check out the durable and weather-resistant high-heat powder coat finish.

The next major difference is that the PBC is designed and built to be a set-it-and-forget-it
cooker. You don't have to guess about how much charcoal to use, or how to set your intake
and exhaust dampers. You load the same amount of coals each time, and the intake is
pre-set (though still adjustable — see the picture above). This is a great feature. Most folks
don't want to deal with tending a fire and managing airflow.

Undoubtedly the biggest difference is how you cook on the Pit Barrel Cooker. While there is
a standard rack, as you see above, the preferred method is to hang the meat from rods
using the included (eight) stainless steel hooks (shown in the second picture).

This is the part that intrigues me. Hanging the meat certainly maximizes the cooker's
capacity, but I don't know how it works with food that might fall, like ribs. I suppose that's
where the rack comes into play.

I'm really excited to get this thing dirty. If it cooks half as well as it's built it will be an
outstanding addition to my barbecue stable.

While you're waiting for my post-cook review, head on over to the Pit Barrel Cooker
Company site and check out some how-to videos. You can also read an interview with
the president of the company, Noah Granville at Grilling.com.

------
John

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: First Look: Pit Barrel Cooker
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »
Great initial review!

I love my PBC! Great charcoal cooker ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sam3

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »
Great initial review!

I love my PBC! Great charcoal cooker ;)

X2!!
Love my PBC!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:41:42 PM »
If you are not going to use it or dont like it, send it to me so it can keep my PBC company. I love that thing.  ;) ;D 8)
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:34:38 PM »
If I were in the market, I'd buy one of those based on that outstanding review.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
If I were in the market, I'd buy one of those based on that outstanding review.  Dee

Dee it is worth every penny. If you can swing it I would try and buy one before the promotion is over. It is on helluva discount ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »

Dee it is worth every penny. If you can swing it I would try and buy one before the promotion is over. It is on helluva discount ;)

I agree Dee  (hey..that rhymes!! ;D)  get a PBC and you won't look back!!!  Set it and forget it!!!  Come to think of it, with the exception of my Yoder...most of my pits were obtained when I was not in the market!!!!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »

X2...Dee - if you don't get one, you will kick yourself when I bring mine to the FG.....You will realize how many more chickens you would have sent to heaven if you had one early in the year... ;D I have never made - or eaten chicken as good as this thing makes. No exageration.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »
I was in the market for the PBC then I got the heads up on the grilling.com promotion right before Christmas. Yeah, it pushed me over the edge. Well worth the $$. Love that thing.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:11:15 AM »
Tee is not exageratin!!  The PBC makes the best darn chicken you have ever had!!! Even if you just got it just to cook chickens it is well worth the coin!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
First Look: Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 09:11:04 AM »

I agree Dee  (hey..that rhymes!! ;D)  get a PBC and you won't look back!!!  Set it and forget it!!!  Come to think of it, with the exception of my Yoder...most of my pits were obtained when I was not in the market!!!!!
Smoke goes out & a pretty little cooker sits in his lap whispers sweet nothing's in his ear & the next thing he knows its in his backyard  ::)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:12:39 AM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »
Looks interesting but it lost a lot of credibility when the video shows using lighter fluid.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »

Yup, it don't take much!!  :D

Smoke goes out & a pretty little cooker sits in his lap whispers sweet nothing's in his ear & the next thing he knows its in his backyard  ::)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
Looks interesting but it lost a lot of credibility when the video shows using lighter fluid.

It actually gets more credibility because if you follow the directions you will never have know that you used lighter fluid!!  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »
I understand that but why not just use a chimney... You'll still taste petro if you use lighter fluid IMHO
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)