Author Topic: First Look: Pit Barrel Cooker  (Read 8696 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: First Look: Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 02:06:23 PM »
You do not taste any charcoal flavor at all. Trust me!! I know we all have those childhood memories of gas flavored burgers but that is not the case!! The PBC is not a normal type UDS smoker. It cooks at higher temps and needs the complete top layer of coals fully lit before cooking. The Minion Method will not work with this barrel cooker.

I am calling on all the PBC owners here to let us know if you have experienced lighter fluid flavor if you followed Noahs instructions on lighting your Pit Barrel Cooker.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
First Look: Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 02:09:46 PM »
No lighter fluid flavor here and I think I even put more fluid than he does in his video. I went back and looked at it. :P

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Pappymn

First Look: Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »
You do not taste any charcoal flavor at all. Trust me!! I know we all have those childhood memories of gas flavored burgers but that is not the case!! The PBC is not a normal type UDS smoker. It cooks at higher temps and needs the complete top layer of coals fully lit before cooking. The Minion Method will not work with this barrel cooker.

I am calling on all the PBC owners here to let us know if you have experienced lighter fluid flavor if you followed Noahs instructions on lighting your Pit Barrel Cooker.

Second attempt at this question. Would the lighter cubes work on the PBC? Or do they only work inside a chimney as a paper replacement.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: First Look: Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »

Second attempt at this question. Would the lighter cubes work on the PBC? Or do they only work inside a chimney as a paper replacement.

The lighter cubes will not work to ignite the charcoal in the PBC. Not that they wouldn't ignite the charcoal, the correct way is to follow Noah's instructions. The PBC cooks differently than a UDS type barrel smoker and runs at a higher temp. The trick is to get the entire top layer of charcoal in the basket to be at it's peak temp (which is 20 minutes) and also the lighter fluid has completely burnt away.

Trust me everybody, I have used torches and pine sticks and cubes to light my charcoal pits and would never ever think of getting lighter fluid near my charcoal cookers..........but it just simply works in the PBC!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32