Author Topic: First Cook: Pit Barrel Cooker  (Read 6141 times)

Offline PatioDaddio

First Cook: Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #-1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »
I previously posted that I had received a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC), and I gave my initial
thoughts. Well, the proof is obviously in the pudding, or the meat in this case, so here I'll
tell you about the maiden voyage.

I'd seen the videos on the Pit Barrel Cooker Company site that extolled the virtues of
chicken and tri-tip cooked on the PBC. Being a huge fan of both, I decided that this would
be a great first cook. Each are great barbecued meats, but they are also sensitive to
overcooking.

The PBC comes with a 4.7-ounce shaker bottle of each of their "All-Purpose Pit Rub" and
"Beef & Game Pit Rub" seasonings. I tasted the rubs, and they seem well-suited to their
advertised purposes. The all-purpose rub was a little on the spicy side, but I love spicy.

For my first test cook I decided to use seasonings with which I am very familiar. The
thought here is that I would eliminate the added variable of seasoning and focus on the
cooking. I felt that it was important to start from a somewhat known baseline of flavor
profile.

I started by splitting the chickens (4 1/2 lbs each), trimming the tri-tip (about 3 1/2 lbs
each), dusting all of the meat evenly (the chicken more heavily) with seasoning, and
refrigerating them for two hours.

Note: I inserted the hooks while the coals were starting.

Next, per the instructions, I filled the charcoal basket level with Kingsford® Original
(blue bag) charcoal, doused it with Kingsford® lighter fluid, put it on the PBC and lit it.

I'll admit that using lighter fluid is not as demonic as most of my barbecue brothers would
argue. However, letting it burn for only 20 minutes is a little unsettling. In the future I'll light
about a third of a chimney of coals outside the cooker, let them ash over/gray, and then add
them to the unlit coals in the basket. That's the process that I use in my UDS cookers (a
quasi- Minion method).

Here's how the coals looked after 20 minutes.

The instructions indicated that the chicken would take somewhere between two and 2 1/2
hours. The video at their site states that two hours is fine for young or full-size chickens,
but the instructions in the box state 2 1/2 hours.

This left me wondering when to plan to add the tri-tip to the cooker. I figured I'd just wing it
(pardon the pun) the first time and try to time it by internal temperature. I was cooking for
another family and I had a set delivery time, so I didn't have a lot of margin for error. This, by
the way, is not a good plan for a first cook on a new cooker.

I let the chickens cook for about an hour and five minutes, then I added the tri-tip.

The way the PBC held an even temperature really impressed me. I stuck the probe of my
Thermoworks TW8060 in the hole next to one of the rods and it held 290º +/- 10º for the
entire cook and then some.

The chicken was done in an hour and forty minutes (165º breast/181º thigh), and the tri-tip
was done after only 35 minutes (135º in the thickest portion). The chicken would have been
way overcooked if I'd have followed even the video instructions (two hours). I think that
perhaps I was using smaller chickens. I can see where a larger chicken (say 5 1/2 lbs,
pre-trim) would probably be just about perfect at two hours.

In the end, the PBC produced great results, despite a little bit of cooking time cipherin' on my
part. The tri-tip was just about edge-to-edge perfectly medium-rare.

The chicken had great color and was generally moist and juicy, with slightly crispy skin.
Both my delivery family and I felt that the breast was dry, but not so much that it was bad.
We both thought the flavor was outstanding all the way around.

Overall I felt that my first cook on the PBC met my lofty expectations. It lived up to its
set-and-forget goal, and the results were great. Of course there is always a learning curve
with any new cooker, and I greatly look forward to putting this thing through its paces.

Here are some notes that I made throughout the cook:
  • The side handles stay cool enough to rest your thermometer on.
  • The lid handle stays at about body temperature.
  • The feet stay cool to the touch.

------
John

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: First Cook: Pit Barrel Cooker
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:05:40 PM »
Great review and cook!

I find that my PBC has temps around 290F to 310F depending on ambient temps so it appears you got her dialed in right on the air shutter.

Food looks great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »
Nice cook! Nice pics!.  ;)
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »
Good looking food and pictures! 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »
Most of the pics I have seen (my wife won't let me get a third cooker) of the charcoal after 20 minutes, the coals were way more ashed over then yours. I always found it cool that in 20 minutes the PBC could do that.

Would this effect the outcome?

Food looks great!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
You finally made it over here. Glad to have you aboard John, and great review of the PBC.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:50:54 PM »
Most of the pics I have seen (my wife won't let me get a third cooker) of the charcoal after 20 minutes, the coals were way more ashed over then yours. I always found it cool that in 20 minutes the PBC could do that.

Would this effect the outcome?

Food looks great!
Noticed the same thing. Mine are almost completely ashed over. Happened to take a pic of mine yesterday after 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline PatioDaddio

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
Yeah, mine ash over much more than they did in the first cook. I think I was overly
concerned about the lighter fluid and didn't use enough.

John

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 07:02:12 PM »
I think half the fun of using the PBC is using lighter fluid and then hearing the family say they can't taste it!! ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »
I am not a fan of the lighter fluid...I am just a cheap-skate ;D. I bought 2 of the Kingsford charcoal chimneys and follow the directions on the Kingsford site on how to use newspaper underneath them (it was different than anything I had seen before ) and fill them to the top with a slight crown of briquettes.

Then I use a  trigger-light Mapp gas torch ( propane would do the same thing ) and really get the paper going. I have to give mine 30 minutes before I get coals that are ready. But - that is usually not a problem.

Works great!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »
Does work great Tee but please keep in mind using lighter fluid you are basically starting the top layer of charcoal and then it will burn down slowly "Minion" style. This way you burn roughly just an hour of coal an hour and get an 8 hour cook plus on one load of charcoal. I figure using the chimneys, you might not get that long of a cook out of your Kingsford if you would've used fluid.....just sayin............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »
How about a couple of those little lighter cubes they sell?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »
Does work great Tee but please keep in mind using lighter fluid you are basically starting the top layer of charcoal and then it will burn down slowly "Minion" style. This way you burn roughly just an hour of coal an hour and get an 8 hour cook plus on one load of charcoal. I figure using the chimneys, you might not get that long of a cook out of your Kingsford if you would've used fluid.....just sayin............

Hmmm...good observation Smoke! Guess I need to get some lighter fluid!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RAD

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 07:51:13 AM »

Hmmm...good observation Smoke! Guess I need to get some lighter fluid!
When I setup my charcoal smoker for a long cook I will use my chimney starter and only add a small amount of bricks. This way I don’t have to use the fluid. Wouldn’t this work just as well with the PBC?

Get about eight or so going and put them on top of the pile of charcoal.

BTW - Nice looking cook, Especially the tri-tip
Love to cook and eat

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 08:09:32 AM »
I don't think the PBC would come to the target temp it was designed to run at using the Minion Method. This is not your average drum smoker.  The only thing I have done different other than Noah has instructed is I use HD foil in the bottom for super easy cleaning and I have tried wood chunks. I don't use wood chunks anymore..I just like the flavor the barrel produces with straight Kingsford. For those of us that love to mods and tweak pits to make them run better, I think the PBC is darn near mod free!! It is just perfect out of the box and if you follow Noahs instructions you will have a great vertical cooking experience every time!!  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven