Author Topic: Pizza ovens and/or mods and/or stones and/or ???  (Read 10190 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Pizza ovens and/or mods and/or stones and/or ???
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »
Following some previous links, I found this http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/06/the-best-surface-for-baking-pizza-finale.html

Interesting, I have the Emil Henry stone - use in my oven and really like it. In fact it lives in my oven. Whether bread, biscuits, pizza, cinnamon rolls, etc. the Emil Henry does it. I haven't taken it out of the oven except to load or unload it in 9 months.

My favorite grill pan for pizza is the lodge. Not only the one described, but a variety of sizes depending on the event / size of pizza.

David
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:07:34 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »
Thanks for all these great posts and helpful information, anyone every purchased one of those oven kits? I keep hearing they are pricey and that is the point of inertia....What would be a price point at which you would consider pulling the trigger?  8)

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »
Barry, I've looked at many of the kits - but at $4000+ just can't do it. A decent one around $2000 might tip me over... but I am not sure how well it will be made at that price... I may just have to bite the bullet and buy some materials and dedicate a few weeks and hard work. It is a toss up between that and an asado / parrilla.

On another note, the steel plate has bit me - ordered one and will give it a try. Will post results and pictures as soon as it arrives.

Cheers,

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 09:12:19 PM »
Quote from:  Barry CB Martin
...and I know that some folks swear by using a pizza stone

It really depends on how you like your crust.

If you like thinner and/or crispy crust then a pizza stone is for you. Pizza stones give you an excellent crispy crust because they pull moisture from the dough. I like that style occasionally.

For the most part my family & I prefer pan style or deep dish, so we just use a pizza pan drizzled with a generous amount of olive oil.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »
Wood fired pizzas are hard to beat, but for Kimmie and I it's not worth the $$$$ to buy or build an oven right now. 

The SRG on the other hand does a very good job of baking pizzas and since I have two of them I'll stick with infrared pizza  ;)

David, if you come to the gathering this year I'm sure Pam will cook a pizza on her grill.  I'll tell you hard to beat a pizza cooked outside!!!

I agree outside makes it that much better.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »
Tommy, I get you. I cook many pizzas outside - the Weber, G2G, 500x, firepit. I've also used my SRG dozens of times for pizza - even posted a couple. I know how good they are. However, when I compare to a good wood fired pizza oven - well there is just no comparison. And I can make very nice pizzas inside in my gas oven (like a propane fired grill.) I am not discounting an outdoor pizza by any means. Just making the comparison to a true pizza oven.

Cheers,

David

So we are down to wood & outside....can't be beat!

I think my friend cooks his in three or four minutes. I saw a video of a  wood oven that cooks it in about a  minute.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:44:57 PM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »
There is one other that beats wood. This place is worth the trip! If you are ever in CT.

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/?page=history   (COAL OVEN PIZZA)

World Famous PIZZA
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 10:16:20 PM »
Barry: Here is an interesting one - and - I think the total cost could be palatable. And a fun project to boot!

http://www.firespeaking.com/products/barrel-oven/
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 10:55:35 PM »
Barry: Here is an interesting one - and - I think the total cost could be palatable. And a fun project to boot!

http://www.firespeaking.com/products/barrel-oven/
Tim that looks cool.  Now theres anther idea for PBC's! 

Make a few changes to the racks and you have an PBC oven!!!   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 10:57:14 PM »
T2 - an interesting idea --- thanks

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 11:38:19 PM »
What else could you cook on that steel other than pizza?  Would be nice if one would fit in the SRG.  It may fit on my grill which gets up to 800*.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 11:39:08 PM »
T2 - That is very interesting and the price isn't bad at all. Almost looks like a wood fired infra red design.

David
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 11:40:34 PM »
What else could you cook on that steel other than pizza?  Would be nice if one would fit in the SRG.  It may fit on my grill which gets up to 800*.  Dee

I'm not sure, but I will find out! I would guess if you have access to someone that works with stainless they could cut a circle to fit the SRG.

David
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 12:30:58 AM »
from deb.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/10/the-pizza-lab-baking-steel-lodge-cast-iron-pizza.html

sparky - that is a very interesting comparison. I am a sucker for the best way to cook pizza - ordered the 1/2" steel. Will post some cooks as soon as it gets here.

David
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »
Something that just struck me - my family loves pizza, especially the kids. Their favorite store bought is a very cheap pizza - Totinos. This is usually priced at about $2 and often 10 for $10. They are small ( two average servings.) But what makes them so great is the crust. For a frozen cook it in the oven at 450* pizza they get the crust right. It is crispy on the outside with a nice bite or chew inside. Lots of air pockets. Of course the toppings are marginal (have to save money somewhere.) Often thought they could make money selling crusts that you'd top yourself! Will try one of these as soon as the steel arrives.

David
Member #