Author Topic: Using Auber SYL-2372 in Manual Mode for Traeger PTG  (Read 3389 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Using Auber SYL-2372 in Manual Mode for Traeger PTG
« Reply #-1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:04:09 PM »
Due to the small cooking pit of the Traeger PTG and the findings of my tests I have decided to run the PTG in the Manual Mode when smoking/cooking in order to take the parameters out of the equation.

I know this means I'll have to tend the PTG manually and tweak it to adjust to conditions but while camping I have nothing but time and a few cold ones!!  :D  I could play with it tweaking parameters left & right, up and down but the PTG pit is so small by pellet grill standards that things will always be changing.  This way I can control it better.

Parameters:  T=20, OUTL=0, OUTH=100 ... (P=40, I=500, D=150, and SV=250 BUT none of these parameters have any affect in Manual Mode)

FYI ... After a series of extensive tests this is what I have found running in the Manual Mode.  The ambient temperature was around 50-54ºF and at times there was a slight wind.  Tested the Output Value at different Power levels from 15% to 40% power.  I now have a baseline to use when wanting to smoke/cook at a specific temperature.  Just dial in the initial power level and tweak it as conditions dictate.

15% ... ~ 180-200ºF
    20% ... ~ 215-230ºF
    23% ... ~ 245-255ºF
    25% ... ~ 250-265ºF
    27% ... ~ 290-305ºF
    30% ... ~ 330-350ºF
    32% ... ~ 340-360ºF
    35% ... ~ 370-375ºF
    40% ... ~ > 400ºF

Used iGrill temperature readings at grill level rather than the K Thermocouple Processed Value (PV) in red in the photo.  In the photo I used two Maverick ET-732 probes.  Yes, the K Thermocouple is more accurate but since I have it mounted vertically where an RTD for a Traeger Digital controller is normally mounted I preferred to document the measured grill temperatures.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Using Auber SYL-2372 in Manual Mode for Traeger PTG
« on: February 07, 2013, 11:29:03 PM »
the control thinging you have in the front?  did you put that on SP?  you could put one of those on a traeger too?  i always liked my traeger before i sold it.   :'(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: Using Auber SYL-2372 in Manual Mode for Traeger PTG
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »
the control thinging you have in the front?  did you put that on SP?  you could put one of those on a traeger too?  i always liked my traeger before i sold it.   :'(

Yes Sparky I installed the PID controller with the help of my youngest Son, the Electrician.

Bought a Traeger PTG for the RV with high hopes of being able to take pellet smoking-grilling on the road.  But from day one I experienced flame out issues with temperatures under 300ºF and had massive temperature swings when the unit stays lit.

Before anyone asks ... I ran many tests using the standard Traeger 3 position switch, the Ortech TR-100, and Traeger digital controller.  Worked closely with Ortech and Traeger tech support but was unable to rectify my issues.

Researched PID solutions on this forum and other sources and have decided that I had nothing to lose and everything to gain by installing an Auber SYL-2372 PID in my PTG.  Using the standard 3-position switch for the face plate, K type thermocouple, and assorted parts ... Less than $100!  Got the information, parts list, etc from "muebe" who modified his PTG.

Wired as per the wiring diagram provided by SavannahSmoker and inserted an on/off switch to control the Auger as per muebe.

Decided to mount the K type thermocouple inside the unit cause while traveling I didn't want to have to deal with clipping the thermocouple on the grill.  I'm hoping that since the PTG has such a small cooking chamber it won't do too much harm by being mounted in the same position that the RTD normally gets mounted.

A little tight in here but not bad.  The bottom of this compartment has slots on the bottom for a bit of cooling.

Here's the PTG with the PID,  K type thermocouple, 5 amp fuse, and manual switch for the Auger.

I must give credit where credit is due for the chassis modification, hardware mounting, and wiring to my Son who is a Journeyman Electrician.  He did a fantastic job ... ;D  ;D

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG