Author Topic: The Butt FatCap?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: The Butt FatCap?
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 07:53:26 PM »
Maybe it is just out of habit, but I leave mine on and cook cap up.  I like to pick at the fatty stuff while I am pulling the pork.  ???
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 09:04:24 PM »
Excellent discussion.  It appears that the majority believe the fat cap contributes nothing to the flavor of the meat but some think it aids in the butt not sticking to the racks.Eliminating all that fat will lessen the messiness of the inside of the smoker.  If this becomes the prevailing attitude a big "myth" has been shattered/debunked.  Am I correct?  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »
On another forum someone posted a link to an article that did a scientific study on fat cap up or down & it was proven that fat cap up the fat just ran down the sides of the meat. Since I went to fat cap down I never went back. I do all my meat, beef or pork, that has a fat cap; down. With a pork butt I like to leave about 1/4 inch fat on. That's my view and I am sticking with it!  ;D Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
I trim the fat cap if It is thick, then smoke with fat cap down.  Good results for me.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »

I'm "down with the fat cap" as well.   ;)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 04:22:48 AM »
Got a packer going on this weekend.  Maybe I'll experiment with cap down (or maybe not - I'd rather experiment with a butt).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline KyNola

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
Put me in the "cut the fat cap off" camp.  I started removing the fat cap a few years back and never looked back.  As others have said, you get a better bark and you retain more the of the bark when pulling or chopping the meat as it doesn't slide off with the fat cap.  I also have very very little fat in the meat to remove which makes for a less greasy product. 

I also started using molasses for my Rub "glue".  It makes for a GREAT bark.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:05:36 PM by KyNola »

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »
Put me in the "cut the fat cap pff" camp.  I started removing the fat cap a few years back and never looked back.  As others have said, you get a better bark and you retain more the of the bark when pulling or chopping the meat as it doesn't slide off with the fat cap.  I also have very very little fat in the met to remove which makes for a less greasy product. 

I also started using molasses for my Rub "glue".  It makes for a GREAT bark.

Same here.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »
I trim as much as I can and then score the rest crossways.  Since I use an infrared cooker moister is not a problem I just want to get rid of the fat ASAP.   Now if using my Bradley I go fat cap (trimmed) face down
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 08:15:26 PM »
I cut a deep cross hatch through the fat cap then let fat cap up and it blooms open like one of them onion thingys
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:56 PM »
So the axiom IS true...

Opinions ARE like armpits - we all have 'em.

If the fat is thick, I trim it off.  If there is just a thin fat cap, i just trim it off.

Uncle Dee-vious opened another can of worms.  Do you ever get the idea he like to stir things up a bit?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!