Author Topic: Chef Choice Mod. 610 meat slicer  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Chef Choice Mod. 610 meat slicer
« Reply #-1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »
I got a new meat slicer, a Chefs Choice Mod. 610 from Amazon, $129. I would have loved to have a better, more expensive one; but for using it 4 or 5 times a year I just can’t justify that. Besides I got along with a cheap Rival fold up one for at least 20 years.

Of the cheaper ones I liked the looks and features of this one. It had mostly all good reviews. I bought a tube of food safe Vaseline along with it. After inspecting it I think plain old Vaseline would do. It is only for greasing the guides of the thickness plate and spring on the adjusting knob and would not come in contact with the meat. I also got the smooth blade; it comes with the serrated one.

It is all cast aluminum body with a plastic and stainless meat slide and guide. The meat slide looks like it will be steady and smooth; it has nylon slides that fit into slotted guides and locks on. The meat thickness knob has a setting to remove it for cleaning and greasing. Getting it back on takes a little effort and you must put pressure on it while you turn the knob to lock back on and adjust.

Now all I need to do is smoke some meat to slice and try it out. When I do I will come back and update how I like it.
Smokin Don

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:57:57 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: Chef Pro Mod. 610 meat slicer
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:53:11 AM »

I've had that very same one for a couple years now.  I upgraded to the non-serrated 'deli' blade, and it slices like a champ.

Offline Sam3

Chef Pro Mod. 610 meat slicer
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »
Nice slicer Don!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Chef Pro Mod. 610 meat slicer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:27:27 AM »
I can't wait to hear the review.  I need one, but I cannot justify spending a ton.  This could be a nice fit for me.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Chef Pro Mod. 610 meat slicer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »
Cool. Interested in your opinion
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RickB

Re: Chef Choice Mod. 610 meat slicer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 05:02:06 PM »
Same one I have. Just used for very light duty but I am pleased. Do need the deli blade though. Works much better.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 01:53:30 AM »
Apr 17 2013

I finally got to use my new Chefs Choice Mod. 610 slicer. I had a rolled beef rump roast to slice up thin for some Italian beef. I used the serrated blade that came with it. I had it set in the lowest notch and it gave me some nice thin slices. The 3 ¼ pound roast sliced quickly and all nice clean cuts.

It replaced a Rival, all plastic fold up slicer that I used for about 20 years. I was constantly adjusting the thickness guide and getting tails on the slices and some would pull back through. The slices on the new one all fell onto the meat plate that came with it.

I will probably use it about six times a year and it really suites my needs. It cleaned up easily; the hardest part to clean is the plastic cleaning guide that is at the very bottom of the blade opening that acts as a scraper to clean the blade.

I had said before I didn’t think you needed the food grade Vaseline but after removing the blade to clean the nylon gears were greased. My old one was not greased and they lasted. If you want to keep them greased get the food grade Vaseline.

Overall I would say this slicer exceeded my expectations and I am well pleased.

Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:07:33 AM »
Glad you are happy with it. I 've had the same model for a few years now and never had a problem with it. Also does great for slicing tomatoes, cucumbers , etc
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 06:58:23 AM »

Don, that little plastic guide slides out. (at least mine does, maybe not by design)   I pop it all in the dishwasher.

I use mine for slicing deli turkey whenever I smoke those boulder roasts.   Great little slicer, and reasonably priced.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 07:30:12 AM »

Don, that little plastic guide slides out. (at least mine does, maybe not by design)   I pop it all in the dishwasher.

I use mine for slicing deli turkey whenever I smoke those boulder roasts.   Great little slicer, and reasonably priced.
Thanks Squirt for that info! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »
Don,

Great review - thank you for that, and the tips!

This looks like a good option. I'm just worried that if this is sitting on the doorstep when my wife comes home from work, she might posting pictures of me being sliced up...  :o ??? :o

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »
L O L...are you a COOK or a CHEF comes to mind right now.

We bought this style slicer, though smaller, a few years ago.  It was a COOKS brand, definitely not for CHEFS.  Oh, it is adequate for slicing smoked pork, but I wouldn't be able to do a roast the size you did. 

This is a great review...thanx for posting.

B T W, is there a "pusher" on this thing, or is it gravity fed?

Also, if you have trouble with the blade after washing it, get back with me...there may be a combination you need to know - like mine has.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!