Author Topic: Corn and Pepper Lasagna  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Corn and Pepper Lasagna
« Reply #-1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:09:48 PM »
May 27 2013

It was kind of a cool Memorial Day week end here in Ohio. Other than the lasagna I didn’t do any cooking out as usual. Our daughter was home from Chicago for the week end and it was busy so we just ate out or had carry ins.

I cook a lot of meat and potatoes, but sometimes I like something a little lighter and healthier. Since my son and family live in town now I try to fix a vegetarian dish for my veggie daughter in law once in a while. I found this recipe on food network and sounded good to me. I changed the recipe and procedure some from the original.

I served it with some good crusty whole garlic bread, served warm right out of the oven. After baking it with the foil on top I added some shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese before broiling. Everyone had a side salad with it.

Everyone loved it. This would also be good with some Mexican style seasoning to kick it up a little and with ground beef for meat lovers. This would also be good done on a pellet smoker. I think there is enough sauce to do it without the foil to get a little smoke taste.

Ingredients

Charred peppers peeled and sliced

Layering the Lasagna

Done and serving

My Plate

Recipe:
Corn and Pepper Lasagna

Adapted from a Recipe by Marcela Valladolid

Ingredients
  4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
  2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears), or frozen and thawed
  2 cups heavy cream
  1 teaspoon fresh thyme
  Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  1 large Pablano pepper
  1 red pepper
  1 green pepper
  1 med. onion thinly sliced white onion
  1 small zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
  1 small yellow squash
  About 12 no-boil lasagna sheets
  2 cups shredded four blend Mexican cheeses
  Extra shredded mozzarella for the top (optional)

Directions

Char the Pablano, red and green peppers, place in a paper bag and let steam for 15 minutes, peel, seed and slice about 1 inch length wise.

You can prepare the cream and corn ahead and refrigerate until ready to assemble. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add 2/3 of the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Mix in the corn and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and thyme. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes for the flavors to incorporate. Turn off the heat and let cool slightly. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining garlic and cook for 1 minute. Mix in the zucchini and yellow squash and cook for 5 minutes for the flavors to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat.

Spread about 1/4 of the corn mixture over the bottom of an 11 by 8-inch baking dish. Cover with a layer of 3 lasagna sheets. Spread 1/4 of the squash mixture, the roasted peppers and 1/4 of the cheese over the pasta. Repeat the layering 3 more times. Cover with foil.

Bake at 350deg.until the pasta is cooked and tender, about 50 minutes. Remove the foil and turn up the oven temperature to broil. Add extra cheese if using. Broil until golden brown and bubbly, 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

Note: To cut down on fat use half and half instead of heavy cream and use low fat cheese. Add cooked ground beef for meat lasagna and you could add Mexican style seasoning to kick it up a little. Next time I will not sauté the zucchini and squash for a more even layering.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Corn and Pepper Lasagna
« on: May 27, 2013, 12:11:17 PM »
Outstanding...just put this at the top of my to cook list.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:55:22 PM »
Looks great Don! Thanks for the recipe ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »
Looks real good.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS