Author Topic: Camera guys?  (Read 2579 times)

Offline perferd

Camera guys?
« Reply #-1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »
My wife wants a new Nice camera but not sure what to get. We have always had those cheap point and shoot cams from like best buy up to around $300. I am thinking an slr-like camera cause of its ease of use while still being somewhat compact. I really can't see her using a full on slr cam where she would need to study on how to use it do a bunch of adjustments per pic or carry it around in a case. Hell I could be so far off base not knowing cam stuff lol...not sure on a budget but I am sure at some point my money will get me more then I can use or not enough will get me junk...
Semper Fi.
Once a Marine always a Marine
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline MoHuka

Re: Camera guys?
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
After years of the Nikon Cool-pix models and not being happy with the results I got a Canon G-15...supposed to be the best point and shoot camera on the market with many features of a SLR.  I wanted a good camera to take on our Cruise Honeymoon last month and took over 200 pictures and they were all keepers.  I am presently using in the Auto mode as I read an aftermarket book on how to use the features..written in layman's terms.  The battery life is unbelievable as well..I highly recommend this camera.  You can find on the internet for around $400

Semper Fi
MoHuka
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
I own a bunch of camera gear and have for decades. My wife still will use her iPhone for most photos she takes. she does know how to use all my gear. I bring this up because it is about what is easy and at hand. A lot of photographers carry a point and shoot in their pocket for those moments they may have set their big gear down or don't have the time to change lens settings etc. My personal point and shoot is a Canon S95. I did a wedding on the ocean front and a handful of the photos the Bride and Groom picked came from that camera. what I a trying to get at is if it doesn't fit here purse of how ever she carries her stuff, it will not get used as much. I wont buy one that doesn't fit in my pocket. 10x optical zoom is the most I would recommend and that maybe a little much. Point and shoots also can do small video clips and auto focus when shooting video.

Offline perferd

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »
Presently we have 2 point and shoot cams some samsung what not and a sony what not. They both fit in her purse but she does not like the photo quality. We both also have Samsung Galaxy S3 phones which we take pics with mostly but she doesnt like those quality either. I just think its one of those things she wants and will use but doesnt necessarily need and my Rec Tec checks that box soooooo...lol...
Semper Fi.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »
Mo Huka made a good choice IMHO. I agree with him I had 4 different Canon G series and one of the best point and shoot cameras and has decent zoom for all around photos. I now use an Olympus E620 SLR that came with two lenses I got for about $700 and bought another 300mm telephoto lens I paid $340 for. If buying cheaper I would choose the Canon Power Shot SX 40HS for about $430; it will do about all I can do with the Olympus and is actually faster. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »
I own a bunch of camera gear and have for decades. My wife still will use her iPhone for most photos she takes. she does know how to use all my gear. I bring this up because it is about what is easy and at hand. A lot of photographers carry a point and shoot in their pocket for those moments they may have set their big gear down or don't have the time to change lens settings etc. My personal point and shoot is a Canon S95. I did a wedding on the ocean front and a handful of the photos the Bride and Groom picked came from that camera. what I a trying to get at is if it doesn't fit here purse of how ever she carries her stuff, it will not get used as much. I wont buy one that doesn't fit in my pocket. 10x optical zoom is the most I would recommend and that maybe a little much. Point and shoots also can do small video clips and auto focus when shooting video.

Just curious about the 10x max zoom recommendation Jim....Can you give us more on the reason for this?
Thanks,
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Patio Cook#1

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
First decision to make is do you want to take pictures? Or Photographs?
There are many out there taking pictures and this is primarily the audience for "point & shooters"
For those who want to do fine quality photographs, a venture into a digital SLR may be the call. These wonderful folks are accoustomed to traveling with a selection of lenses, extra lighting equipment, and a sturdy tripod.
(Been there - done that. The van was often loaded with cases of camera gear, nikon bodies, lenses, a Hassleblad, a 4X5 view camera and on and on)
I've pretty much relpaced all that excess baggage with a Nikon Coolpix P-100 (It's now been replaced by a more advanced setup) But the issue is this. I a delightfully surprised at the many capabilities of a camera like this. It can do far more than the average person needs for simple picture taking.

Offline perferd

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 08:14:01 PM »
We are looking into a Nikon d3200 on sale for $499+13%tax and needing gear with lens or a used Sony next for $700 cash not sure on gear yet...
Semper Fi.

Offline Patio Cook#1

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »
perferd,
Maybe you have checked out the Nikon CoolPic P520 with a price range of around $425.
It's lens has a range of 24-1000mm which more than covers all of your photography needs. No need to lug along (and pay for)extra lenses.
You can photograph in Program mode, Aperture preferred mode, Shutter preferred mode, manual mode. You can take video in HD 1080 resolution.
It would be a wonderful camera for ALL of your needs.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:05:52 AM by Patio Cook#1 »

Offline perferd

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 06:52:35 PM »
I actually did look into that and its in the mix. I think we are dropping the sony and the d3200 looking at the nikon 1series...hit up a pro shop and got some info...
Semper Fi.

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 09:53:20 PM »
Zooms greater then 10x are more prone to camera shake being multiplied. Your image could be in focus yet camera shake will make it look blurred. A tripod would solve most of the shake, but few will use them.

Offline perferd

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 06:26:21 AM »
What about all the gadgets inside that constantly focus and stabilize?
Semper Fi.

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 06:44:49 AM »
We have had several point and shoots, wore out a Nikon D-70, replaced it with a D5000.

The Pentax W-series - waterproof, shockproof... takes pretty good pictures, but not like the D5k, but we don't take the D5k in the pool, river, etc...

Offline perferd

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 06:31:08 PM »
Bought the sony nex3n today...wife is happy...I have 15 days to change it out to the 5r which has wifi if she wants that...
Semper Fi.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »
I would give my opinion on what camera to buy, but I don't think the Polaroid One-Step is available anymore.