Author Topic: Costo Impressions  (Read 1369 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Costo Impressions
« Reply #-1 on: July 23, 2013, 06:35:54 PM »
Y'all may remember that I posted about getting a membership to Costco for Father's Day.  Since that time I've use it and want to give y'all my impressions of the place.

First, as a retired military member I have the opportunity to shop at the excellent commissary at Ft Gordon which is about 10-15 minutes away.   I have found for the most part numerous things are less expensive in the commissary than at Costco.  I have to do more comparisons to get a better picture.

The comparisons of Costco and Publix and the like show much less expensive at Costco but the  side is sometimes you have to buy a larger container or amount.  However, what would last you one month from Publix would last two or three from Costco.

Costco is very will organized and clean.  The employees attitudes and demeanor are outstanding.  The stocking level of goods is excellent as is the quality.  I saw nothing in the store which I would consider "cheap" or "cheaply made".

They have some very high class items: $5000 watches, a bottle of wine for $3000 and prime ribeyes at $13.99 a pound. 

From what I can gather, Costco is more upscaled than Sam's.  I can't swear by that but that is the impression I get.

Bottom line is I never really saw the need to spend $55 for a warehouse card; however, I am so grateful for the gift from my daughter and son in law.  If you have a Costco near you I strongly recommend you joining. It may be the best $55 you have ever spent.

Dee
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:52:56 PM by deestafford »
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pappymn

Costo Impressions
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »
I used to drive 30 miles to go to Costco instead of 10 minutes to a Sam's club. I know have one closer. I am a huge fan of the company and a shareholder. They pay their employees more then others, and it shows in their longevity and attitude.

I like the scavenger hunt part of it. Always getting in new cool stuff.  Don't fall in love with any particular item. No guarantee it will always be there.

Gas is usually 10 - 12 cents per gallon cheaper. Great prices on booze and beer. And they double the warranty on all electronics you buy.

While I can't buy everything there.....I can buy most things.

Good review Dee!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Costo Impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »
... $5000 watches, a bottle of wine for $3000 and Choice ribeyes at $13.99 a pound...

My cheap watch is fine but I'll look forward my next trip to Georgia so we can share the $3000 bottle of wine I'm sure you bought. 

OBTW, I think $13.99 is what they charge for Prime ribeye here; Choice is about $3 less (and their gas is cheaper than on base).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
Costo Impressions
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 07:42:56 PM »
Every time I go to Costco it costs me 300 plus.. Ugh
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Pappymn

Costo Impressions
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
... $5000 watches, a bottle of wine for $3000 and Choice ribeyes at $13.99 a pound...

My cheap watch is fine but I'll look forward my next trip to Georgia so we can share the $3000 bottle of wine I'm sure you bought. 

OBTW, I think $13.99 is what they charge for Prime ribeye here; Choice is about $3 less (and their gas is cheaper than on base).

He meant Prime......guaranteed
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
Turtle,  $13.99 is about what I've seen prime ribeye at other places too when they have it.  I think Fresh Market maybe higher but my memory ain't what it never was.

I wish you had told me you were coming to the States and I would have saved one of the two bottles I bought for me to drink for you and I to share.  Sorry.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »
I have not been to a Costco for 20 years, but I have been shopping at Sam's Club. While there is only the two of us, we purchase meat, chicken and pork products there. The rib eyes are Angus Choice and they are $7.99 a pound which I notice after visiting some Sam's Clubs in other States to be fairly consistent. No matter how hard that I try, I am always into at least $150.00 or more. They have 90 per cent lean ground chuck by the tube which is 9 to 10 lbs. that I buy for the dog every month for $3.18 per month. However, if you are going to buy ribs you have to spend $27.00 where is I went to Wal-mart, I could get a smaller version for less than 1/2 the price. They also have the vitamins and other things that we consume. In so far as vegetable are concerned, we prefer to purchase smaller amounts at Wal-Mart as this stuff will go bad quicker than we can use it if in large amounts like Sam's Club.

How does this compare with Costco. They are about 12 to 15 miles down the road in Schertz towards San Antonio. What kind of selections do they have and are they priced to be competitive with Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. Where are they better than Sam's Club?

Is it worth visiting?

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »
I have been to Sam's Club and Costco and prefer Costco. I am a regular Costco shopper. Buying in bulk saves money. They have a great meat and seafood selection.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »
dee - No worries; one of the best things about Costco is their customer service.  I called and explained the problem and they allowed me to charge a bottle of that $3000 wine to your account for pickup here in Hawaii.  SWMBO is on her way down there to get it now.  We'll save it for a special occasion - I'm thinking the next time her car pulls into our driveway.  Thank you ever so much.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 09:51:09 PM »
Costco Is Awesome!!!

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »
Costco's the $300 store. My bill has never been less than that...
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »
dee - No worries; one of the best things about Costco is their customer service.  I called and explained the problem and they allowed me to charge a bottle of that $3000 wine to your account for pickup here in Hawaii.  SWMBO is on her way down there to get it now.  We'll save it for a special occasion - I'm thinking the next time her car pulls into our driveway.  Thank you ever so much.

LOL......LOL  ;D :D

so I guess that customer service is the main difference between the two stores. Either you know what you want to buy at Sam's cause you ain't got no real service except if you want to renew your membership.

Like I said, there are only two of us. Buying in bulk does not make sense.

Ed
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:25:55 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Jaaleb

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:37:45 PM »
As a long time Costco employee I love hearing this!

J

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »
Turtle, I did not know about that level of customer service.  I'm so glad they were able to do that so I will no longer feel badly about  having to live with myself knowing that I had deprived you of a fine bottle of wine.  Dee

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »
Love Costco and only shop Sam's if I have to.  The personel at costco are a lot more helpful than Sam's will ever be
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION