Author Topic: I have a cooking question.  (Read 571 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
I have a cooking question.
« Reply #-1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:17:36 PM »
Smoking ribs: everyone references the 3-2-1 method for cooking and making happy ribs. I have been smoking the ribs on the wood smoker primarily for that six hour period at 250 degrees. My smoker likes 250. I can get it to cook at 225 but it is a little more work to do that.

I think that my ribs, even though that they are juicy, still are cooked too long and that they could come off the grill somewhere in the neighborhood or 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

Do you guys have the same experience?

If I could cook them for a shorter period of time, should I interpolate the process to 2-2-1 ? I think when they get wrapped, they go through a quasi steaming process which creates the falling off the bone situation or juicy rib situation.

I know that with the pellet grill, it is a set it and forget it situation. So, in that situation, the 5 1/2 to 6 hours is more relevant.

Any suggestions or feedback on this? I am sure that you guys can offer me your perspective on this process.

Thanks,

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: I have a cooking question.
« on: August 01, 2013, 08:28:09 PM »
I find that 3-2-1 is too long for me Ed.  2-2-1 is a good place to start on your stick burner. You may even find that 2- 1.5- .75 is good at 250F.
I don't like fall off the bone ribs. I want them to pull from the bone cleanly, with a little tug. Not tough, but a firm meaty bite. Just my preference - no wrong way if they are to your liking when you cook them! ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »
The first step (usually 2-3 hours) depends on how smoky you want your ribs.  Don't know that I've ever foiled ribs for a full 2 hours - usually one - and, if things are going well, about half an hour usually does it to finish.

I guess that puts me somewhere around (2 or 3) -1- ½.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 11:24:11 PM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:52:29 PM »
I recently cooked up some Dino Ribs and St. Louis-style pork ribs. The 3-2-1 method worked great for the beef ribs. The pork ribs got a 2-2-1 cook, and I thought they were in foil too long.  All were cooked at 225F.   I'm with Tee 100% on wanting a gentle tug to remove the meat from the bone. It's all personal preference. But they are all good.....some just better than others!   ;D

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:38 PM »
I go 2-1-1 @ 275°.  perfect every time.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 04:05:22 AM »
Ed,

Fwiw, the Father or the originator of the 3-2-1, or the 2-2-1 or whatever you may call it for competition cooking of ribs was the Texas Rib Ranger (Bill Milroy).

His recipe has been bastardized on many web pages out there but here is the recipe that he shared with the public about10 years ago and how the recipe does work.

Quote:

"I've been cooking in compentions for 24 years and started using foil back then and still do. Jumpin Jim passed along one of his secrets so here comes mine. Smoke your ribs for 2-3 hours then wrap with foil. Before you put the ribs in the foil put some Brown Sugar & Honey on the foil put meat side down,then put some on the ribs then close the foil. Before closing completely put some Apple juice (about 2-3 oz.) and put back on cooker.After about an hour check Ribs if done pull them. About 30 min. before turn-in mix juice off rib with Texas Rib Rangers Spicy sauce and baste Ribs on grill to glaze them. Mix about 3 parts sauce to 1 part juice. Now you know the Rib Rangers story. Good Luck and Happy Q'n Bill"

Several keys here and I will start with the amount of juice as more or less won't work. It must be 2-3oz as the ribs must boil or braise in this liquid. Meat side down--you need to boil the meat and not the bone ends. Get them DONE in the foil before you remove them from the cooker. Now, how do you know when they are done? Use a Thermapen and stick it carefully thru the foil and into the center of a rib and they are done when the ribs have an internal of about 202 to 207 degrees. They do go back on the cooker or grill for the glaze just before you want to eat them or turn in in the case of competition ribs.

Ribs cool down very quickly and anything you do to them outside the cooker must be done quickly. Make up your foil boats in advance and then pull the ribs and wrap and get them back on the cooker as quick as you can.

This recipe and method is still winning cookoffs every weekend.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 04:59:58 AM »
I'm with Sparky on the 2-1-1 and a little higher heat.  If you stay at 250, I'd say take the time off the 2nd and 3rd step like Tee said.  Even at 225, I don't like 2 hours in foil (I find the ribs get a little too soft).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:39:33 PM »

Not going to argue with sparky cause he's 'The Rib Master !!!'

But I don't like to foil my ribs.  Used to use 225º till sparky's cooks convinced me to go 250º (disclaimer: Sparky now likes 275º  ;D) ...  I use 250º with no foil for 5 - 6 hours.  So I guess you can call it the 5 or 6 method  ::)  ;)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 04:13:40 AM »

This works good for me.  But thinking my temp is off as they are falling off the bone a bit much.  need to maybe clean my internal probe or go down to 225 or 250. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"