Author Topic: IP Camera  (Read 455 times)

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
IP Camera
« Reply #-1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:32:38 PM »
Anyone know how to set up an ip camera for remote viewing?

My head hurts
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: IP Camera
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:39:40 PM »
Dee will be in shortly to assist you ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline nepas

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:45:22 PM »
Dee will be in shortly to assist you ;)

Thanks

I have it going and wifi. can view on my network but having a hard time with the setting for internet viewing.
Flint

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »
You need to allow it's assigned IP address to be seen. Right now it is hidden by your router more than likely. What kind of wireless router you got?
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline nepas

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 07:33:06 AM »
You need to allow it's assigned IP address to be seen. Right now it is hidden by your router more than likely. What kind of wireless router you got?

Lynksis e2000 (cisco)
Flint

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »
Do you know how to accsess your wireless router's configuration menu through your web browser?

You need to enter 192.168.1.1 you will then be prompted to enter a user name and password. The default is admin for both the username and password(I hope that you changed that). If you changed it already then use the ones you changed them to. This will bring you to the router's configuration menu.

You are going to need to configure the port forwarding rule in the configuration menu to allow the camera to be seen outside the router. That means the camera will get a static assigned IP address by the wireless router. This will require you to assign each computer and device connected on your wireless router with an assigned IP address by the wireless router first. So this means any new computer or device will need to be configured in the router settings before working. But once configured they will connect like normal.

First you need to enable DHCP Reservation in your router's configuration menu. Then you might be able to select each device that is already connected to the router wirelessly through the DHCP protocol. Click the select checkbox from the select clients DHCP table on each one then click add clients. This will assign each device with that address they have been using as static so it will not change. Otherwise you will need to manually enter and configure each device manually using their MAC address. But being the camera is already visible on your network it should be on the list. Make sure every device that connects to the router is running and connected. That includes cell phones. Anything that you connect to your router will need to be on and connected to the router so they will be on that list. If you miss any you will need to add them later manually because they are not going to connect after you do this.

Next you will need to go to the single port forwarding. You will need to select an application name for the device then enter the assigned IP address for the camera in the To IP Address tab. Then select enabled to enable port forwarding.

Now this should allow the software or app for the camera to reach your camera by using your WAN IP address with the port number assigned added at the end. For example if your WAN address is 66.85.43.105 then you would add : and the port number at the end like this 66.85.43.105:25 for example if your assigned port number is 25

Your WAN IP address can be detected with this link http://compnetworking.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=compnetworking&cdn=compute&tm=29&f=10&tt=12&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//checkip.dyndns.org/

It will display it at the top of the page.

Now I might be completely wrong because I have never setup one of these cameras but I believe this is what you need to do. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express however...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:36:24 AM by muebe »
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline nepas

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:53:32 AM »
yup i did change the name and new pw for my router. This porting stuff really gets me.

I live next to a HIE  ;D
Flint

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »
Yes it can be a bit confusing. The thing is you have to assign each device a static IP otherwise the camera will work until the router or camera is rebooted then it could be assigned a new address then the camera won't work outside the network because the port only applies to one address. This will happen with network printers for example.

And port forwarding can be explained like this...

Say you want to talk to someone at a house. If you just knock on the door no one will answer. But if you have a special knock the person who runs the door(router) will know that special knock belongs to someone who lives in the house(camera) and pass your information to it. Then the camera will broadcast the information back out. Otherwise it will never get this info. But at the same time no one else can get into the house and that is most important for security.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:10:17 AM »
Rick it says right on the box that you can call the company and they have techs that will set it up for you
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!