Author Topic: Jump in the wayback machine with me... a.k.a. kettle smoking  (Read 957 times)

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
Jump in the wayback machine with me... a.k.a. kettle smoking
« Reply #-1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »
This is how it all started for me. A Weber kettle, given to me by my precious wife & daughters for Father's Day a few years ago. I thought I would cook something on it, because "Blackie" sits lonely at the edge of the patio, having been passed over by newer & allegedly "cooler" grills & smokers. I wanted some pulled pork, and it's been a while since I smoked anything, so I thought I would return to how I used to smoke everything - just a basic kettle, charcoal & smoke wood. I used hickory chunks & cherry wood chips this time.

Rather than cooking with two fire bricks close to one side & a Minion method cook, I went with the ring of fire technique, building a layer or two of KBlue briquettes around the charcoal grate, with smoke wood mixed in. Using this method does not require rotating what you are cooking to maintain even heat. **Note to self - build a bigger fire to run hotter next time. Had a hard time keeping temps above 225°, even with all vents wide open. For those of you who have cooked this way, smoking in a kettle is usually an exercise in keeping temps low enough, but this time I had to prop the lid open with a small piece of hickory just to keep temps anywhere near 250°. Here's the setup:

For some reason, this butt had been deboned. Couldn't tell until I removed it from the cryovac 2-pack, so I used a few bamboo skewers to hold it together. I put a half pan underneath to catch the drippings and keep Blackie from getting greasy. Here it is after an hour:

Temp control is easy to manage once you learn your grill. All I use to monitor temps is a Taylor candy thermometer, around $8 at Ace Hardware. This is all you need for smoking in your kettle grill. It will turn out great BBQ, as good or better than your local restaurant in most cases.

Mostly because I wanted some sleep, I made sure that the grill temps were stable after a couple of hours, then I set an alarm and took a nap for a couple of hours and checked it again. After the butt attained the color I wanted, I wrapped it in foil & kept cooking. Once it reached my desired temp, I put it into a cold oven with a little apple juice & let it sit for a couple of hours. Here it is ready to pull:

***Samples may have been taken to insure it was safe to eat. No plated or pulled pics. Since the fam & I have been in pulled pork withdrawal, we began eating it immediately. I bagged up a couple of pounds to repay a favor to a friend from church and froze the rest in 1 lb. packages so we have some on hand.

Kettle smoking is easy once you learn your grill & how it responds to opening & closing the bottom vents. Best way to learn how is to cook on it. Now get out there & smoke something on your kettle!  :)
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
I use my Weber Performer fairly often, but haven't smoked on it in some time. I've never tried (or seen) the "ring of fire" technique - so, a couple questions. It looks like you lit one end of the ring and let it burn around - is that right? Did you need to add any charcoal or wood during the cook?

The result looks fantastic - I will definitely try this!

Thanks for sharing.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tnjimbob

Re: Jump in the wayback machine with me... a.k.a. kettle smoking
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
Dr. Holly - That is exactly what I did. I put a couple of fire bricks in a V, and poured in ten lit coals up against one end of the charcoal ring. The ring of fire helps cook more evenly and keeps temps more stable throughout the cook and you never have to rotate what you are cooking. BTW - I still have about 1/4 of the coals & wood I started with, even after cooking for nearly nine hours.

Place two (or three)  rows of briquettes against the side of the grill on the edge of the charcoal grate, then stack another row or two on top of that. Place smoke wood intermittently on top around the ring. I will put the lit coals in & let it go for 30 minutes or so just to make sure that the ring starts burning & temps are where I want them depending on what I am cooking. Some people will fabricate a ring from expanded metal about 2-3" smaller than the charcoal grate and just dump unlit coals around that to form a ring.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »
tnjimbob - Thank you! Perfect explanation and sounds like a great technique. I will definitely be experimenting with that!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
A good cook and a hot rock...  ;)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
My best briskets have come off of a 22.5 kettle.......way to go on this old school cook......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »
That is a very nice job of cooking. And the process that you used is educational especially for me. Really good.

Thank you,

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Pappymn

Jump in the wayback machine with me... a.k.a. kettle smoking
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
Great post and great results. I tried something similar to the ring.....and it does work
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »
Looks great Jim!

And the old school technique always makes the meat taste a bit better to the one cooking it ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:22:28 PM »
I've done that also.  great good.  got to love a weber kettle.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 11:09:11 PM »
Nice, now why didn't you bring me some? Knowing I'm laid up and all  :D  :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 07:18:13 AM »
I first started smoking on a Weber kettle a long, long time ago.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Hub

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »
Great post!  The ubiquitous Weber kettle is still one of the most versatile cooking devices to be found anywhere.  Yes, there are easier and more user-friendly newer appliances but they typically come at much higher prices, too.  Traveling around the competition BBQ circuit, I still see the occasional Weber kettle in use.  And, as I've often opined previously, a good cook can turn out dynamite chow on just about anything.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline tnjimbob

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 07:52:45 AM »
Speaking of competitions, I got my first ever call in chicken on a Weber kettle.  :)

Tommy - if I didn't have a comp this weekend, I could make a delivery.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker

Offline RAD

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 08:02:43 AM »
That looks great. Love the ring of fire idea