Author Topic: Pizza on the Deck - Devices  (Read 1697 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Pizza on the Deck - Devices
« Reply #-1 on: August 08, 2013, 04:43:01 PM »
The recent spate of posts about pizza made me start looking (again) for the ultimate outdoor pizza making device. While I know (and really, really want) an outdoor wood fired oven - it is somewhere after a new driveway, finishing the basement, ..., buying groceries on the list.  :'(

I do make passably (and much better than locally available) pizzas on almost all of my cookers. But they all seem to lack the magic I am looking for. To me it's about the crust. I prefer a thin crispy yet chewy crust. It should have a good char on the bottom (not burnt of course) and the edges with nice air pockets, but still have a good chew. Go to New York - you'll know what I mean.

I've tried the Kettle Pizza device for the Weber 22.5" charcoal grill. It works pretty well, but is kind of a pain to get set up and maintain. I've done the crusts (homemade and store bought) directly on the grates of all my grills as well as on a pizza steel and various pizza stones.

So far, I like either directly on the grate or the pizza steel the best. As I was wasting some time today, I came across an interesting device - https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JohnLewis/posts/fX2euRxUK8s?cfem=1 - made by Weber for the Weber. Unfortunately, it seems to be only available in Europe at this time.

At the same time I found a forum that might be interesting for anyone really into pizza - http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24677.0.html

I'd enjoy reading about anyone else's journey into the magic of creating pizzas.

Cheers
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

Re: Pizza on the Deck - Devices
« on: August 08, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »
We're really into making pizza, and I wholeheartedly agree with you about the crust.  I'm creating a post (with pics of course) of one of our pizza parties - should be done as soon as I can link my Picasa photos

Thanks for the links; they will make good reading

Offline pz

Re: Pizza on the Deck - Devices
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:12:18 PM »
... I came across an interesting device - https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JohnLewis/posts/fX2euRxUK8s?cfem=1 - made by Weber for the Weber. Unfortunately, it seems to be only available in Europe at this time.

At the same time I found a forum that might be interesting for anyone really into pizza - http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24677.0.html

I'd enjoy reading about anyone else's journey into the magic of creating pizzas.

Cheers
Although we're not that good yet at making pizza on our wood or charcoal fired devices, we have been making pizzas with interesting toppings for quite a while, and would love to share our stories and perhaps get input from others regarding their experiences.

Would you consider a standard pizza stone?  They are quite cost effective, and appear to make excellent pizza as we discovered with our tiny charcoal grill (below)

We purchased a Big Green Egg - Mini a while ago to take with us on RV trips.  At Amazon, they have tiny pizza stones available that just perfectly fit the mini, and the last time we went to Vegas, we tried it, and it made tasty pizza.

Click to zoom, click again to dismiss

The Big Green Egg - Mini is great for trips, but
would be hard pressed to cook for more than two
people.  Luckily, my sweetie and I are empty-nesters
and travel with only our toy poodle.

This was a simple pizza, with little more than
mozzarella, feta, fresh tomato slices, and topped with
a runny yolk egg.

I did something really stupid here - the pizza stone
was hot and I put on the painted surface of the
picnic table - stuck to it like glue.  While I did
eventually get it off, I broke the pizza stone in the
process.

We actually baked this pizza at home using the
tiny pizza stone - it did a great job, and the crust was
perfect.

One of my favorite methods to get a really crisp
crust is to grill it.  My wife will grill one side of the crust
until it is done, and then flip it.  As the second side is
cooking, quickly place the toppings on so they heat
and the cheese melts.

... almost done

I personally like my crust almost cracker crisp,
with only a little chewy bite.  My wife likes the crust
slightly more crisp than New York style.

Must have a dry rose on this hot day!

This is probably a bit crisp for most people's
tastes, but I really like it as something different.