Author Topic: Hot Neighborhood  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Hub

Hot Neighborhood
« Reply #-1 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:49 AM »
I use a lot of Sriracha hot sauce.  It has a nice clean heat that combines well in barbeque sauces or just adds a good zing to bland stuff without inserting too much of its own flavor.  However, the folks who make it seem to have a big problem on their hands:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/30/calif-town-sues-sriracha-chili-sauce-maker-over-smell/

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Hot Neighborhood
« on: October 30, 2013, 06:28:04 AM »
Oops.  ???
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:27:48 AM »
It never bothered the people in Rosemead, Ca. That is where their factory was located before.

And the current location is in an industrial are that includes many other manufacturing plants. There are homes out there that were built right across the street from the industrial area. Not a smart idea IMHO.

When I was young I remember the constant sulphur smell from a nearby oil refinery. It stunk real bad but no one complained enough to force the refinery out. And that was all year long. This smell is only for a couple of months while they mash the peppers.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:28:03 AM »
Give all the complainers a WWII gas mask!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »
I saw that on the news last night and just kinda chuckled to myself. Heck, in the 60's we had smog alerts where we couldn't even play outside. The City of Angels was constantly covered in a dark brown haze. Glad those days are over. People just like to bitc$ about anything these days.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Admin2

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:29:09 AM »
Give all the complainers a WWII gas mask!!

Art

With a block of Limburger attached to the intake!!! :D

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 11:40:48 AM »
That should help allergy sufferers to keep their sinuses clear.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline Jake

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »
Sorry I didn't see this until I made my own post on this. Something must be done. Can't they just get a giant bottle of Febreze and a giant fan? There must be some kinda way to fix this. Im thinkin that with all the great minds on this forum that someone could engineer a solution to the problem.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:33:14 PM by Jake »
Weber 22.5 OTG
Vermont Castings gasser
ECB
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »
Maybe a train load of clothes pins ::)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »
I remember once we were cooking jalapeno's and I looked over and the cat was gagging and chocking  ???. I felt so bad I had to open the windows and doors and turn the fans on.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 04:18:23 PM »
Sorry I didn't see this until I made my own post on this. Something must be done. Can't they just get a giant bottle of Febreze and a giant fan? There must be some kinda way to fix this. Im thinkin that with all the great minds on this forum that someone could engineer a solution to the problem.

There are many configurations of "scrubbers" that filter the exhaust from a factory by the air passing thru various devices. Water curtains, carbon impregnated corrugation, condensers ( for water vapor or steam borne odors) an others are very often used -

*BUT* they are expensive, and if the air quality is not impacted in a measurable manner, they are not breaking any laws. As for testing and measuring remember: you have to know what chemicals/pollutants you are testing for - then select the instrument and correct chemical reagents which will react and be indicators to confirm and quantify the said offenders.)

Segue..... ;D
I was in a manhole in downtown Charlotte NC years ago, assessing the condition and repairability of it. It was so old it was hand laid red brick approx 23 feet in depth. The mortar was completely eroded away.
The manhole was immediately downstream from a Fleischmann's vinegar plant.  Commercially, many vinegars are made by diluting glacial acetic acid. "Glacial" is pure ( 99.5% or higher) and will form crystals as if it is freezing at 63 degrees F. SO - it is heated, raising the "vapor pressure" of the material.
A new employee caused a rupture of a 500 gallon holding tank of  C2H4O2. It rushed into the storm drain connected to the containment sump it was setting.
Immediate flushing with water pursued - but the concentrate were the "head of the wave" .... I was above where water came thru the bottom of the manhole, or I would be a couple of feet shorter now... ;D ;)

I remember hearing what I thought was water coming -tho it was not aiming (?) - looking up ( was was in full rigging, and attached to a safety line, on a tri-pod with a winch mounted on it ) No one expected this to be in the storm drain. So - I was not wearing SCBA ( self contained breathing apparatus). I took one breath - and my lungs were on fire, could not breath - gagging - passed out. I woke up in the hospital, on O2.

I do not recommend spending time like that!

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 04:23:31 PM »
What a great idea that Denton TX has.  They would like to have Huy Foods relocate to TX.  Here we have a town in CA that has 1,400 residence and they get Huy Foods to relocate to there town to create 60 full time jobs and over 200 seasonal jobs and the city even helps funds the $40 million plant.  Then they have perhaps 30 residence complain about the smell of money and the city caves and sues the company.  Sueing a company that they helped finance??????????? I guess the city does not realy realize what an economic boom this company is creating for this little town.  I think if I ran the company I would have thought long and hard about building a new plant in a state that has high taxes and is not business friendly.  I read lots of stories about how businesses in CA are relocating to Texas.  At any rate here is the story about Denton TX http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/denton/Denton-makes-play-for-Srirachi-plant-229954591.html

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »
I took one breath - and my lungs were on fire, could not breath - gagging - passed out. I woke up in the hospital, on O2.

I do not recommend spending time like that!

I'm glad you woke up! That's a very frightening experience.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
What a great idea that Denton TX has.  They would like to have Huy Foods relocate to TX.  Here we have a town in CA that has 1,400 residence and they get Huy Foods to relocate to there town to create 60 full time jobs and over 200 seasonal jobs and the city even helps funds the $40 million plant.  Then they have perhaps 30 residence complain about the smell of money and the city caves and sues the company.  Sueing a company that they helped finance??????????? I guess the city does not realy realize what an economic boom this company is creating for this little town.  I think if I ran the company I would have thought long and hard about building a new plant in a state that has high taxes and is not business friendly.  I read lots of stories about how businesses in CA are relocating to Texas.  At any rate here is the story about Denton TX http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/denton/Denton-makes-play-for-Srirachi-plant-229954591.html

Good for Denton! Sounds like they've given this some more thought than Irwindale did. I hope it works out.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #