Author Topic: Small CL Score  (Read 1751 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Small CL Score
« Reply #-1 on: February 06, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »
Got a brand new (still in the plastic wrap filled with the original pellets) 12" A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER for $10.  The best part was the guy was just a couple of miles from my office and home during the day.  Not sure when I will get around to using it, but it will make a nice cold smoker in the vertical side of my offset or I could use it in my electric for small cooks.  I guess that is as close as I will get to a pellet pooper.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
Re: Small CL Score
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
Sweet deal!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »
You are hooked now Chris....you just don't know it yet...... :D ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:05:47 PM »
Nice score ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:54:50 PM »
First it starts innocently with a pellet tube smoker. Next thing you know there is a delivery truck with a pellet grill in your front yard ;)

Your going to love that tube. Get some of Milt's pellets and you will love it even more!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »
First it starts innocently with a pellet tube smoker. Next thing you know there is a delivery truck with a pellet grill in your front yard ;)

Your going to love that tube. Get some of Milt's pellets and you will love it even more!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  :D  My Kroger has $0.99/lb picnics this week.  I was planning on buying two of them.  One of them would be a long enough cook (and would fit in the electric) to burn through the pellets in the tube and not waste them.  Plus, it's been a while since I slept through a cook overnight.

Anyone have a good way to light the pellets without a propane torch?  I could use the gas assist in my offset, but that would be a bit of overkill.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:00:48 PM »
Great Score, I love CL in the Dallas area, I've gotten a spare digital SG for my Bradley for $40 bucks and a brand new SRG for $50 among other things. I don't have any suggestions for lighting the tube without a torch since I keep a spare click to light propane torch handy to light mine. I use the cheaper bottles from walmart's camping section instead of the high dollar tall ones at lowes

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  :D  My Kroger has $0.99/lb picnics this week.  I was planning on buying two of them.  One of them would be a long enough cook (and would fit in the electric) to burn through the pellets in the tube and not waste them.  Plus, it's been a while since I slept through a cook overnight.

Anyone have a good way to light the pellets without a propane torch?  I could use the gas assist in my offset, but that would be a bit of overkill.

Buy a cheap propane torch.  You will need it and you will use it every time you smoke from this day forward.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »
Quote from: sliding_billy

Buy a cheap propane torch.  You will need it and you will use it every time you smoke from this day forward.  ;D

You could try rubbing two pellets together really fast, but based on experience... Sailor's advice is better!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:01:51 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »
Congrats on the CL score! And sailor is correct, buy an el cheapo torch and you are set. I also
buy the cheap wally world propane containers.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »
Thanks.  It was worth a try.  I will try my log lighter first.  Should be pretty funny looking holding it with 6 flames shooting out of it just to use one of them.

Offline RAD

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks.  It was worth a try.  I will try my log lighter first.  Should be pretty funny looking holding it with 6 flames shooting out of it just to use one of them.
When I first got mine I ended up adding some lighter fluid because the lighter alone wasn't doing it for me. Now I use a old touch I've had for years and glad I do. Oh, great buy on that
Love to cook and eat

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
I use a MAPP gas torch. It burns really hot 5300F so it gets those pellets burning in about 30 seconds. Just be careful not to burn a hole through the tube :o 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
I use a MAPP gas torch. It burns really hot 5300F so it gets those pellets burning in about 30 seconds. Just be careful not to burn a hole through the tube :o 8)

I did that to my first one.......still works though......just burns about 2 minutes less  :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 10:42:53 AM »
Had a thought... break off a small piece of a Weber starter cube and put it in the opening and light it.

Thoughts?