Author Topic: The water you drink is important  (Read 4058 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
The water you drink is important
« Reply #-1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:16:08 AM »
Lately there has been talk about how important water is to the human body. This is very true. We are mostly made if water and would die quickly without it. So water is water right? Not exactly...

If you notice there are many new bottled waters made my big companies. Many of these waters are purified thru reverse osmosis. And yes they are pure. Stripped of every mineral and nutrient the water has. And unfortunately many people have grown accustomed to the taste of it.

Here is the problem. When you introduce pure water into your system this sounds good right? Well when you take science into the mix what do you think happens? Take brining for example. There is a scientific thing going on. A less salty solution is equalized with a more salty solution. So the pure water ends up robbing your body of minerals, nutrients, salts, calcium, etc.

A natural water with the minerals in it will not do this. You are not going to get a bunch of minerals from the water but at the same time the water is not going to rob your body of minerals either.

Arrowhead is an example of natural spring water. The taste is different for a reason.

So everyone out there be water wise. Your body will thank you for it ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: The water you drink is important
« on: May 07, 2014, 08:12:53 AM »
Funny seeing someone from SoCal talking about water.  Do you steal bottled water from NoCal too?  :D

Just kidding Mike.  That is good info.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:16:54 AM »
Funny seeing someone from SoCal talking about water.  Do you steal bottled water from NoCal too?  :D

Funny you say that Billy.

They currently have plans to build de-salination plants up and down California. We have an unlimited source of water right next to us. It is about time they started actually thinking about solving our water problem. After all Southern California is a natural desert.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 08:21:19 AM »
I agree 100% Mike! For 20 years I had a R.O. filter system at home, that is until I found out my body needed the minerals that that system was taking out. I have replaced it with an Aquasana filter system that is much cheaper initially to purchase and much more economical to maintain while giving my family a healthy water supply. DO NOT TRUST THE GOVERNMENT TO SUPPLY YOUR FAMILY WITH SAFE AND HEALTHY WATER!  The government is broken,  they have been lowering the standards of allowable heavy metals and pollutants in public water systems for over 25 years.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:34:46 AM »

Funny you say that Billy.

They currently have plans to build de-salination plants up and down California. We have an unlimited source of water right next to us. It is about time they started actually thinking about solving our water problem. After all Southern California is a natural desert.
Yep, but some stupid snail darter fish will be somewhere near the intakes and y'all will have to shut them down. 

Muebe, move to Alabama!!   You need to leave that part of the country
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »
Good points Muebe.

I see Dallas is it? is taking out the flouride,works for me!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
Arrowhead is an example of natural spring water. The taste is different for a reason.

That's good to know, we have been drinking Arrowhead for many years.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:32:49 PM »

The arrowhead loading spot is down the hill from me.There is a creek that flows into their property.I dont know if they use creek,spring or well water,or whether its treated or not.But you can play and swim in the creek.For sure its Mtn water,and we do have really good Mtn water up here.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 03:15:05 PM »

The arrowhead loading spot is down the hill from me.There is a creek that flows into their property.I dont know if they use creek,spring or well water,or whether its treated or not.But you can play and swim in the creek.For sure its Mtn water,and we do have really good Mtn water up here.

I just hope nobody is peeing in the creek.   ::)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »
I am going to take a different position than some of you on this matter. But - it is only because I have experienced "mineral enriched" water that darn near killed me. Not kidding a bit. ( Not going into it here...PM me if you want my files on Uranium in well water - and why you may not know it  or other heavy metals are there - and the health risks.)

If All you drank was water, and did not take in anything else - then, fine...I would agree with the concern about "over-purified" water via Reverse Osmosis. But - that is not the case. anything else that you consume - contains minerals, as well as other nutrients. ANY sodium, magnesium, calcium ( and a host of other minerals) provide electrolytes which encourage or allow for adsorption an utilization of said food intake. All you need to do is ensure that you have good dietary nutrition. I know that there are some of us that joke about "no greens" - but I assume that you also know of their value to your health - chiefly iron and other essentials.

What I have learned, and in a very hard manner, financially and my health - is that the ONLY way to ensure that you are consuming "clean" water is via Reverse Osmosis. Not even distillation can isolate and remove some VOC's or petroleum components, agricultural pesticides, etc..... And - ANY mechanical or even ionic filter cannot differentiate and separate all of the "other molecules". No filter can identify ions that are good -from those that are bad and separate the good water from the bad and send you only the good water.. It just is not possible at this point in a filter that will fit in a home.

Unless - you "strip" everything from the water. And that is only accomplished in a practical way with R.O. Specifically, a TFC membrane equipped R.O. system, with a pressure pump to maximize the efficiency of the system. R.O. does not work most efficiently at house pressures. As well -- you can set up an R.O. to be as efficient as a 1- to - 1 product to reject ratio.
This is much better than the old 4 to 1 systems from a few years ago.

There are numerous resources that I would encourage each of you to read and research from. But, here is something that we ALL know: You cannot know what is in your water. Because - it changes from day to day. You cannot control, or know when crops are sprayed up-stream from your well's aquifer. Or - that of your city or county water resource, whether that  is a river, lake or well. And - because you cannot control that on the input side of the equation - and even the best municipal systems are fluid - meaning, constant thru put ...They cannot stop to test every gallon sent to your home. It is not possible. Nor - do the drinking water labs  where your water may come from via a city or county water system or their techs have the equipment at their disposal to test for all of the pollutants (including naturally occurring heavy metals) that can and do occur in "normal" tap water. Do not bee fooled into thinking that your water came "from the mountains" - so it is "above" any pollution. Underground aquifers that feed rivers and wells do not all flow downhill - as based on surface topography.

In the 1970's the philosophy about water purification was "The answer to pollution is dilution". Folks - that just is no longer true. That world is dead and gone. We have over polluted that only resource that we cannot do without.....And - if you doubt what I write here, then ponder this for a moment:

Every time a toilet flushes - there is not just the high probability  but a certainty that hormones, antibiotics, anti-depressants and other mood modifiers, and ADD meds. are going directly into the plant that processes your water.  They cannot be all completely removed by municipal filtration means and methods. And - if you are on a well - you have even LESS potential filtration, other than layers of what ever geologic rock formation and soils are between you and the source of pollution.
Don't lull yourself into thinking that because you can't see, smell or taste anything - that the water must be good. I will assure you, it can kill you and be great tasting at the same time.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 04:44:38 PM »
That was an epic post even by your standards Tee. :-)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »
That was an epic post even by your standards Tee. :-)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thanks Chris. It is as factual as I can make it without sounding fanatical. I have a ton of data, and medical records to support what I posted. As well, I wrote an article on water quality for a Koi magazine, and some other aquaculture based journals. Little did I know that information might help me one day. It did....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
Tim you make good points and I have personally talked to you about your water problem. I can agree that heavy metals are bad in anything. But RO systems strip everything out... even the good.

There are brands that purify then add minerals back into the water. There are also filter blocks available for RO systems that will add minerals back into the water before it hits your glass.

And yes if your diet is mineral rich it is less of an issue but I stress that they push for heavy water consumption now so the more RO water you drink the more leeching occurs.

My point is that more and more people are buying the purified water that has no healthy minerals. Some people complain about the taste of mineral water though it is better for your body.

And the PH levels in mineral water is closer to our own levels. Acidic drinks like coffee and soda can throw our PH levels off. RO water can also contribute to that.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 05:35:46 PM »
It is so easy to add back what we need, that I don't believe the risks out way the minor inconvenience of adding back minerals and electrolytes. And - that is because we can't know or control the "upstream" inputs.
R.O. is comparable to distilled water. It is sterile. But- there are many products that are made for adding back essentials. There are add-on filters...tho I am not sure of how well they do as compared to just eating good quality foods.

As for "leaching"...I am not sure I understand the term in this usage. R.O. does not draw or suck out minerals from your body. It just does not replenish any that you lose. Again, we are talking as if you are not getting any nutrition tho. The value of "mineral enriched" water should be questioned as to it's  quantity of the nutrients that you need. Hard to know - as everyone is different, so we ind of "fudge" in favor of the more-is-better mentality. Maybe....maybe not. I think it depends not he individual needs. Age, activity level, medical conditions.

Mineral water is good - unless you have a tendency for kidney stones... ;D The carbonated drinks - including mineral water that is carbonated are of a low PH ( carbonic acid dissolved in water is...CO2) Yet - we are also told that drinking a little apple cider vinegar is good for your PH, and causes it to buffer up...Interesting, tho I am not sure I can say that I agree with the reasoning.

Our body PH is more complex than most of us think. The research that I remember shows clearly that we garner far more calcium that is bio-available from dark leafy greens - than from cow's milk, or "ground up rocks"  or chalk ;D - of which most vitamins are comprised. Orange, tomato, and a myriad of other fruit/vegetable juices are acidic too. yet - there are cases for us drinking them. Even beets and cow's milk can cause you to lose calcium - if not consumed in small amounts...

So - it is all about balance in consumption. But - with water, as we know it is THE most important item in our diet. And it is the most polluted. I can add back what I need. But - I can't take the junk out of the glass....Unless I strip it all.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
RO water is pretty close to the 0 TDS of distilled water. This link might interest some of you...

http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water.htm

Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC