Author Topic: The water you drink is important  (Read 4059 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: The water you drink is important
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »
Great topic ;D

Q; when I am at work all that is available to drink is bottled water. What should I be doing?
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 07:54:45 PM »
Great topic ;D

Q; when I am at work all that is available to drink is bottled water. What should I be doing?

It won't kill you to drink purified bottle water but spring water or water enriched with minerals is a better choice. Purified water is better than no water ;)

What brought this subject up to me is we had a company nutritionist come into our work and talk about hydration. He works with many athletes and made a very convincing presentation. He showed us the different drinks when consume and how much acid they contain. He also talked about drinking reverse osmosis water versus water with minerals. The effects they have on the body and such.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »
Many moons ago I used to laugh at people who would pay for bottled water when you can get it for free!  I think Perrier might have been the first ...  Now bottled water is a multi-billion dollar industry.  At home we have an RO system and in the RV I use a filter and then use a Brita pitcher to filter it some more.

Going to start thinking twice about all the RO and filtered water we drink.  Points about the minerals a human body requires are well taken.

By the way Mike - I totally agree with desalination plants.  They should have been built decades ago. 

I know it's not your fault but Southern California has been draining us dry here in Northern California and it's really causing havoc with our Rivers and Delta system.  The salt water intrusion into the Delta is getting worse every year.  Also the politicians would rather see some useless bait fish survive at the cost of ruining our farming industry in the San Joaquin Valley - commonly known in some circles as the bread basket of the World.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »
 Kakabeka Crystal Spring Water:
They are about 1/2 mile from me and take their water from the same ground I live on. Think I will just use my well water. I have good water on my property and refuse to buy it. In the summer when the windows are open you can here the company starting up at 6 AM, all the sirens go off till they clear them. Don't need a alarm clock  >:( 

Company description

Northern Crystal Spring Water is a family operation that was
established in 1984 to fill a market need for bottled water in
Northwestern Ontario. With a 16 year background in the beverage
industry president Phil Moorey had the knowledge and skills that
are required to produce a quality bottled water. From the simple
beginning of seeing a market need for a quality product, Phil &
Katherine Moorey have carefully expanded their market base to
serving the needs of over 400 retail, industrial and homes in
Northwestern Ontario. Their present facility is a state of
the art bottling plant employing 7 people and capable of
supplying 1500 cases per day.. The product line consists of
500ml, 1.5litre, 9.5 litre and 20 litre dispenser bottles of
spring water. The water is sterilized using various stages
of microfiltration and ozone to produce a quality product of
exceptional shelf life and purity much appreciated by today's
demanding consumers. Its this same appreciation of quality
and legendary taste that has allowed Northern Crystal to enter
the American market and fill a niche for a premium Canadian
drinking water.

Another important part of the market is supplying, and serving
the needs of large commercial and industrial customers. After
an initial on site inspection to best determine a customers
needs, a training program is provided to staff the best way to
use the service for their drinking water. Regular follow up
inspections and periodic reports of the microanalysis of the
water assure everyone that they are getting top quality drinking
water.

Northern Crystal is inspected by Federal, Provincial and Regional
authorities which exceeds all requirements for bottled water. An
added plus is that we are one of the few bottlers that meet the
requirements of the Jewish community and are privileged to be
called Kosher. This is another assurance of the quality and care
that goes into our product. 

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 09:06:20 PM »
The "Mercola" bunch is not a credible source of information.  Their blogs are all an attempt to sell you their stuff. Keep in mind that I own a medical equipment company - and have access to a lot of doctors and nurses. And - Because I now have to have quarterly blood, urine, and hair test - as well as cancer screenings. I unfortunately am more familiar than I would like to be with this specific issue. I have to send of my water to be tested regularly to make certain the filter system is removing the Uranium.
And - not so coincidentally ...my blood tests have improved since converting to ONLY R.O. water Why? Because the otherwise, state test and approve water well was poisoning - and preventing me from adsorbing much needed and otherwise good minerals.
Again - what I am telling you is that - like you, when I did not believe I had a problem...I bought into the same 1/2 of the story that most folks get told. But, it is not as plain and "matter of fact as your nutritionist might have thought. I would happily forward an 87 page file to him that contains information from various federal and state agencies - that oddly ( and angrily..) enough is available - but NOT brought to the public's attention. If you ask - sure, they can tell you about problems but I suppose to prevent public panic, lawsuits, etc...it is not something that is "common knowledge". 

Kakabeka Crystal Spring Water:
They are about 1/2 mile from me and take their water from the same ground I live on. Think I will just use my well water. I have good water on my property and refuse to buy it. In the summer when the windows are open you can here the company starting up at 6 AM, all the sirens go off till they clear them. Don't need a alarm clock  >:( 

Company description

Northern Crystal Spring Water is a family operation that was
established in 1984 to fill a market need for bottled water in
Northwestern Ontario. With a 16 year background in the beverage
industry president Phil Moorey had the knowledge and skills that
are required to produce a quality bottled water. From the simple
beginning of seeing a market need for a quality product, Phil &
Katherine Moorey have carefully expanded their market base to
serving the needs of over 400 retail, industrial and homes in
Northwestern Ontario. Their present facility is a state of
the art bottling plant employing 7 people and capable of
supplying 1500 cases per day.. The product line consists of
500ml, 1.5litre, 9.5 litre and 20 litre dispenser bottles of
spring water. The water is sterilized using various stages
of microfiltration and ozone to produce a quality product of
exceptional shelf life and purity much appreciated by today's
demanding consumers. Its this same appreciation of quality
and legendary taste that has allowed Northern Crystal to enter
the American market and fill a niche for a premium Canadian
drinking water.

Another important part of the market is supplying, and serving
the needs of large commercial and industrial customers. After
an initial on site inspection to best determine a customers
needs, a training program is provided to staff the best way to
use the service for their drinking water. Regular follow up
inspections and periodic reports of the microanalysis of the
water assure everyone that they are getting top quality drinking
water.

Northern Crystal is inspected by Federal, Provincial and Regional
authorities which exceeds all requirements for bottled water. An
added plus is that we are one of the few bottlers that meet the
requirements of the Jewish community and are privileged to be
called Kosher. This is another assurance of the quality and care
that goes into our product. 
Nice...but you do not know that you have "good water"....what I am saying is that if you look at WHAT is tested for  - vs - what OTHER known pollutants occur regularly - you may want to send your water for a one-time test to a lab ( I use the U. of GA. Soil and Water Test Lab ) to look for heat metals, radionuclides, and petroleum distillates

Many moons ago I used to laugh at people who would pay for bottled water when you can get it for free!  I think Perrier might have been the first ...  Now bottled water is a multi-billion dollar industry.  At home we have an RO system and in the RV I use a filter and then use a Brita pitcher to filter it some more.

Going to start thinking twice about all the RO and filtered water we drink.  Points about the minerals a human body requires are well taken.

If you are not eating or drinking ANY thing else...then you have reason to be concerned. IF you are a distance runner - sure, make certain you have electrolytes in your drink.

By the way Mike - I totally agree with desalination plants.  They should have been built decades ago. 

Interesting...Of course you DO understand that desalinization *IS* Reverse Osmosis...? :D

I know it's not your fault but Southern California has been draining us dry here in Northern California and it's really causing havoc with our Rivers and Delta system.  The salt water intrusion into the Delta is getting worse every year.  Also the politicians would rather see some useless bait fish survive at the cost of ruining our farming industry in the San Joaquin Valley - commonly known in some circles as the bread basket of the World.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:22:02 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »
The Mercola bunch might not be credible but they are not the only ones who stated this information. There are many different books, studies, etc for both sides. The thing is that I understand how brining works. I know how osmosis works and if you are ingesting water that has no calcium or minerals in it then it will pull minerals from your body to equalize just like what happens when brining. And you can buy the pool test strips for PH and test for yourself. You will be surprised how different each bottled water is and how close mineral water is to our natural PH level. I copied and pasted some more information below from a website that promotes and sells juicers...

http://www.discountjuicers.com/healthywater.html

Two very negative things happen when we consume water that has been stripped of its natural minerals. First‚ because de-mineralized water contains more hydrogen it is an acid with a pH below seven. Any time we consume an acid substance our body will pull minerals from our teeth and bones to produce bicarbonate in order to neutralize the acid. Second‚ it has been proven that when our body fluids become more acid than alkaline the production of free radicals increases‚ causing increased cancer risks. Many studies suggest that cancer cells can only grow in an acid environment. This theory seems to be supported by the fact that around the world the areas where people live the longest most disease free lives are the areas that have the most alkaline water‚ water with the highest mineral content.

Reverse Osmosis and Distillation were first developed over 40 years ago for the printing and photo processing industries‚ which require mineral free water. Because of the popularity and demand for home water treatment products many companies have marketed these products as "state-of-the-art" drinking water systems‚ which they simply are not. Often these products are marketed by using a demonstration that measures the TDS (total dissolved solids) and implies that this measurement shows the systems effectiveness at removing contaminants. TDS meters measure the dissolved minerals in water‚ primarily calcium and magnesium‚ and have little or nothing to do with contaminant levels.

Distillation and reverse Osmosis are not very effective at removing synthetic chemicals. Distillation removes things based on their relative boiling point. Virtually all synthetic chemicals boil at a lower temperature than water and therefore are vaporized and condensed along with the water in a distillation process. Reverse Osmosis removes things based on molecular size. Virtually all synthetic chemicals are molecularly smaller than water and therefore cannot be effectively removed by reverse osmosis..
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 09:30:37 PM »
Nice...but you do not know that you have "good water"....what I am saying is that if you look at WHAT is tested for  - vs - what OTHER known pollutants occur regularly - you may want to send your water for a one-time test to a lab ( I use the U. of GA. Soil and Water Test Lab ) to look for heat metals, radionuclides, and petroleum distillates

I test my water once a year, you would be stupid not to. All you need to do is a little research on the Walkerton water Tragedy to know nobody is safe. My water is just fine. My well is not the best for recovery but I have never run out of pure fresh crystal water.  :P

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 09:49:55 PM »
I just drink Houston tap water
and beer ;)

I'm with you on the beer, solves all the problems.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 09:52:49 PM »

I test my water once a year, you would be stupid not to. All you need to do is a little research on the Walkerton water Tragedy to know nobody is safe. My water is just fine. My well is not the best for recovery but I have never run out of pure fresh crystal water.  :P

What I have been trying to convey here is that if you are getting the standard water test - it falls very short of telling you some things that you really should know about your water source. The standard tests done by the sates/provinces are   very simple -hardness, ph, arsenic, lead, nitrate, etc. But - they don't even check for some things that will harm you - as in cut your life short. Not conspiratorial - just fact.
I have tried to use my example of dam near dying to explain - and exemplify the veracity of import this issue holds. If you are not having the DETAILED test  done that I have outlined above - you may be fine....but if you have had incidents in your area of "clusters" of health problems that were similar - it may be worth spend a little money to find out.

After, it isn't what we know that gets us...It is what you don't know ;)

Not trying to fear monger. I am trying to share real world experience with you.

So - I have worn out trying, and quite done. I do not want to alienate anyone -but, I hope you understand my motivation. I care about everyone here, and feel a moral obligation to you all :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

The water you drink is important
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »
I drank warm water from the hose as a kid. Explains a lot.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »
I drank warm water from the hose as a kid. Explains a lot.
Pappy was that you 20 ft down the hose kinking it when I was trying to get a drink?  :D

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 10:15:05 PM »
Drink beer, much simpler. If you need enrichment, add a shot of Jack Daniels.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 10:26:01 PM »

What I have been trying to convey here is that if you are getting the standard water test - it falls very short of telling you some things that you really should know about your water source. The standard tests done by the sates/provinces are   very simple -hardness, ph, arsenic, lead, nitrate, etc. But - they don't even check for some things that will harm you - as in cut your life short. Not conspiratorial - just fact.
I have tried to use my example of dam near dying to explain - and exemplify the veracity of import this issue holds. If you are not having the DETAILED test  done that I have outlined above - you may be fine....but if you have had incidents in your area of "clusters" of health problems that were similar - it may be worth spend a little money to find out.

After, it isn't what we know that gets us...It is what you don't know ;)

Not trying to fear monger. I am trying to share real world experience with you.

So - I have worn out trying, and quite done. I do not want to alienate anyone -but, I hope you understand my motivation. I care about everyone here, and feel a moral obligation to you all :)

Thanks but there is nothing wrong with my water

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 10:29:51 PM »
Thanks but there is nothing wrong with my water

ROTFLMFAO  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 10:38:43 PM »
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 10:48:23 PM by CaptJack »
King of the OldSmokey