Author Topic: Simple MAK Smoked Meatloaf  (Read 5018 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: Simple MAK Smoked Meatloaf
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »
I've wanted to try smoked meatloaf ever since I first read about it on the site, but have not convinced the wife that it is a good idea yet.  Might be able to do so with your excellent pics, especially the one with the smoke ring  ;)

Formerly I never liked meatloaf, but it was always too mushy for me, but my wife uses oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs, which for me gives it a nice texture.

I hope I can get her to do this

Just ask SWMBO to make you a meatloaf PZ and then you can smoke/cook one to your content.  Once she smells and sees it she'll want to taste it ...  She'll then be hooked!!  If not then you'll not only have a nice meatloaf dinner but you'll have some nice meatloaf sandwiches  :D  :D  ;)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline pz

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 01:15:16 AM »
How do you make it, smoker pete?  Can you cook it in a conventional oven and then smoke it or do you do the entire loaf in the smoker?

If the latter, then I'll need to think of a way to distract her before she puts it into the oven so I can sneak it into the pellet cooker  ;D

Offline deb415611

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 07:48:05 AM »
looks great Pete,  love MAK meatloaf

PZ - ask her to make two, she can do hers in the oven you do yours in the smoker , see who wins

Offline Sam3

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 08:07:38 AM »
PZ, I've actually been making my meatloaf on the mini-WSM lately. Charcoal only, no wood. Even my wife likes it, and she doesn't like meatloaf that much. Give it a try.

Yours looks great Pete!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 10:42:33 AM »
If you've never smoked a meatloaf you need to give it a try.  Just use your favorite meatloaf recipe ...

I think I'll be giving this a try soon.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline RAD

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 11:54:53 AM »
Nothing wrong with that plate, nothing at all. It all looks great.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:56:27 PM by RAD »
Love to cook and eat

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »

PZ - ask her to make two, she can do hers in the oven you do yours in the smoker , see who wins

I agree with Deb and everyone else. 

Most times I use 1 lb of ground beef and 1 lb of pork sausage when I make my meatloaf.  After mixing everything I like to mold 2 smaller meatloaves rather than one 2 lb meatloaf.  It cooks easier/faster and since there's only the 2 of us I get to have lots of leftovers or I often vacuum seal the 2nd meatloaf and freeze it for an other meal or take with us on the road.

I do not see any info in your signature about what kind of smoker you have PZ?  The smoking part is easy for most smokers but bumping the temp to 350º-375ºF many not be.  Depends on your unit and controller.  You could always smoke it for 45-60 minutes and then transfer it to the oven until the IT reaches 160ºF+.
Char Broil SRG

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 12:08:21 PM »
How do you make it, smoker pete?  Can you cook it in a conventional oven and then smoke it or do you do the entire loaf in the smoker?

If the latter, then I'll need to think of a way to distract her before she puts it into the oven so I can sneak it into the pellet cooker  ;D

I do the entire loaf in the smoker.  Theory is that meat only accepts smoke till it reaches a temp of ~ 140ºF ... but that's for another looooooooooooooooooong discussion!!  Like I said, it's a theory.

I now see that you have a pellet pooper.  Just smoke it and then bump the temp till you reach the IT  :)
Char Broil SRG

Offline Pappymn

Simple MAK Smoked Meatloaf
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »
Just a killer plate! Love meatloaf
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pz

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 01:21:24 AM »

;D  That's a great idea, but I'd better wait until after Mother's Day!

I do not see any info in your signature about what kind of smoker you have PZ?  The smoking part is easy for most smokers but bumping the temp to 350º-375ºF many not be.  Depends on your unit and controller.  You could always smoke it for 45-60 minutes and then transfer it to the oven until the IT reaches 160ºF+.

Thanks for the method smoker pete - we've a Traeger that my wife purchased at Costco a few years ago.  I can't remember ever going to 350º-375ºF so I don't know if it can reach that temperature.  However, I've done the oven trick after smoking with ribs and they turned out just fine.  After seeing the higher end units many of you folks have, I may upgrade one of these days.

PZ, I've actually been making my meatloaf on the mini-WSM lately. Charcoal only, no wood. Even my wife likes it, and she doesn't like meatloaf that much. Give it a try.

Yours looks great Pete!

I'm going to show her this post so she becomes intrigued, and I'm sure I'll post meatloaf pics one of these days!

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 11:13:48 PM »
Once you have Pellet Smoked meatloaf it is hard to cook it inside ever again. Yours looked fantastic!