Author Topic: Struggling to reach target meat temperatures  (Read 5023 times)

Offline PongGod

Struggling to reach target meat temperatures
« Reply #-1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:33:39 AM »
I've used my PBC four times since I received it in late March and while I love the easy-to-use design, I've really been struggling to get consistent results. The one consistent result I am getting, however, is that I have never even come close to hitting the target internal meat temperatures within the time frames described in their videos. After exchanging emails with Noah and eventually speaking with Amber on the phone, the expert assessment was that my charcoal lighting process was a bit off; she seemed to think that I was letting the coals burn too long (about 20 minutes at sea level) and consequently they didn't have the opportunity to slowly build up the temperature for a long enough time before petering out. But even after making the prescribed corrections, I still found that neither my brisket nor chicken had reached 150F after four hours (brisket is supposed to be at 160F in around three hours and the chicken should be past that in only two hours!)

Adding coals mid-way seems to be the only thing I can think of to keep the fire burning hot enough for a sustained period, but all the conventional PBC wisdom says this shouldn't be necessary... you know, set it and forget it. I'm hoping some of you have experienced this same predicament and can share your tips on how you overcame it. I'm really at wit's end and I desperately want to conquer the brisket once and for all!

- Robert -
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Struggling to reach target meat temperatures
« on: May 17, 2014, 01:23:16 AM »
I wish I could help you. However, I have not had this problem. If I had any complaint (and I do not) it would be having too much charcoal at the end of the cook...  I am sure that talking with Amber or Noah you will figure this out.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline lctrcbddha

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:52:52 AM »
I'm having a similar issue.  I don't have an answer - I'm still experimenting.  My PBC runs significantly cooler (~215 ish) than anyone else has described, regardless of how I set the damper (I don't change the damper once the charcoal is lit), or how long I've left the lid off after lighting.  The food is still fantastic so I can't complain, but something isn't working as intended.

I've been using lighter fluid.  I've thought I'd been using plenty as per the video - maybe I've been using too much?  Next I'm going to use a chimney starter to eliminate that variable.  If I have to I'll even start counting briquettes (so many in the basket, so many in the starter...)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:13:51 AM »
Where I live the  elevation is 199 m (653 ft), so I set my vent closed as much as possible. This gives me a inside temp of around 230 - 250.
After about 4 hours it starts to drop down to around 200 degrees so I just increase the vent opening some to get more air. If I want to have crispy chicken skin the last 5 minutes I will crack open the lid but be careful as you could end up with burnt chicken.
My basket is full to the top and as drholly said there is usually too much charcoal at the end of the cook.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 09:35:06 AM »
PongGod please provide details of what you do before starting your cook. Is it a full and level basket of coals? Is it Kingsford charcoal? And if you can take a picture of your air shutter position and post it here.

Being you are at sea level that shutter should be nearly closed IMHO.

Also how are you storing your charcoal? Did it possibly get wet? Might be a bad batch of charcoal.

Are you finding unburned coals or does everything burn up?

Here is a picture of my bed of coals before I start...

That is after 20 minutes and lighting with Kingsford lighter fluid. A full bed all white hot but very little flame. You can really feel the heat from a bed of coals like this. You can also see the position of the air shutter in that picture. I am at around 1,200 ft elevation where I live.

A bed like that will give me 8 hours of cooking temps.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline PongGod

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:37:42 PM »
I'm having a similar issue.  I don't have an answer - I'm still experimenting.  My PBC runs significantly cooler (~215 ish) than anyone else has described, regardless of how I set the damper (I don't change the damper once the charcoal is lit), or how long I've left the lid off after lighting.  The food is still fantastic so I can't complain, but something isn't working as intended.

I've been using lighter fluid.  I've thought I'd been using plenty as per the video - maybe I've been using too much?  Next I'm going to use a chimney starter to eliminate that variable.  If I have to I'll even start counting briquettes (so many in the basket, so many in the starter...)

Sorry to hear you're having troubles too, but at the same time I'm glad it's not just me.  ;) But, I'm not ready to give up; I'll keep tinkering until I finally get this. If it turns out that it simply takes longer than the advertised times to produce a quality finished product, then I can live with that.

- Robert -
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline PongGod

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »
PongGod please provide details of what you do before starting your cook. Is it a full and level basket of coals? Is it Kingsford charcoal? And if you can take a picture of your air shutter position and post it here.

Being you are at sea level that shutter should be nearly closed IMHO.

Also how are you storing your charcoal? Did it possibly get wet? Might be a bad batch of charcoal.

Are you finding unburned coals or does everything burn up?

Here is a picture of my bed of coals before I start...

That is after 20 minutes and lighting with Kingsford lighter fluid. A full bed all white hot but very little flame. You can really feel the heat from a bed of coals like this. You can also see the position of the air shutter in that picture. I am at around 1,200 ft elevation where I live.

A bed like that will give me 8 hours of cooking temps.

Hi, muebe, and thanks for chiming in. The first time I prepared to cook, I closed the damper slightly because I thought it was closer to half open than 1/4 open (incidentally that was the time I had my best brisket result). I since opened it back up to approximately its original position, but I'm thinking maybe I should close it to 1/4 again (even though Amber told me over the phone that she thought this would make relatively little difference).

I keep my charcoal bag in the garage so I'm sure it hasn't gotten wet since I bought it. I'm not aware of charcoal ever being "bad", but I suppose it's conceivable. BTW, it is not Kingsford, it's B&B, an all-natural briquette, presumably similar to Kingsford Competition. I suppose I should probably give the standard Kingsford a try just to eliminate another variable, but the idea that this cooker will only work effectively with a particular brand of charcoal would disappointing to say the least.

After six hours of cooking, if I don't add any more coals, they're pretty well burned out. This may be another hint that closing the damper slightly will give me a longer quality burn. I don't have a photo to show you, but compared to yours, I can tell you that my basket looks more full and maybe not quite as completely ashed over as yours.

This really is a learning process and I guess the price you pay for having a "set it and forget it" system is that you have to do everything just right and you have little margin for error. My consistent failure to get the meat hot enough quickly enough naturally makes me assume the solution is to make the fuel burn hotter, so it still seems somewhat counter-intuitive when the experts tell me that's not so. But, I'm willing to try whatever I need to try to make this thing work.

- Robert -
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 11:43:33 PM »
PongGod the reason they recommend standard Kingsford charcoal is so that when you try to replicate the results in their videos you get the same results.

Different charcoal will burn at different rates and temperatures. Even Kingsford competition will give different temperatures than regular Kingsford in the PBC.

Charcoal does contain some moisture otherwise it would not hold together. If it is exposed to water or high humidity that can change the burn rate however.

I suggest giving regular Kingsford a go and move the air shutter to 1/4 open.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
I had this problem for a alittle while.  I quit using the chimney and just use lighter fluid.   I also use a thermometer, if the temp is starting to drop, I crack the lid for ten minutes.  That  normally work s, sometimes you have to doit acouple of times.  I also keep a notebook of my cooks on it.  That way I can look back and see what's working.  Best of look to you just keep trying.   
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 06:05:10 PM »
I use the regular Kingsford charcoal and Kingsford lighter fluid per the original instructions. I have never had a problem. I can't say that this is the reason, but I figure if it works and I love the results, why mess with them?
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »
I use the regular Kingsford charcoal and Kingsford lighter fluid per the original instructions. I have never had a problem. I can't say that this is the reason, but I figure if it works and I love the results, why mess with them?

Good idea to leave well enough alone, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline VMac

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 01:52:28 PM »

I've been using a chimney starter, and have this identical problem -- it tends to lock in at 215.   After playing with every variable (amount of coals in starter, length of time in starter, vent, etc), what has been working for me is this: once meat is hung, I will leave lid cracked open the smallest amount possible (tiny sliver of a crescent).  Temp will soar... once it's around 330ish, I'll close the lid, and it settles into 275 pretty nicely.  I'm sure there is something in the startup process I'm not nailing, but this is working for now.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »
There is one additional variable that I just thought of...

When lighting using the fluid method you are placing the coal basket into the cooker and then lighting. This process will heat not only the air in the PBC but the cooker itself.

When using a starter you are placing coals into the basket/cooker that is not up to temp. Also the interior air is cold.

Cold air is heavy and hot air is light. This battle might cause a reduced draft with the lid in place. Then the coals have a tough time getting up to temp.

I have a feeling that this scenario could play a role... especially during the colder months of the year.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »
Interesting theory, muebe. It makes some sense, especially since I use the original instructions and do not have any issues even in the dead of winter.
Member #

Offline PongGod

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »
I did speak to Noah earlier this week after starting this thread. We discussed a lot of things including the possibility that my batch of charcoal just isn't good (apparently this happens due to moisture exposure and other reasons). But, the main take-away I got was that the lighting instructions I'd been following (taken from the YouTube video: one layer of unlit coals in the bottom of the basket, the remainder in the chimney starter) are different from what he advises. He's telling me I should only be putting about 1/4 of the basketful of coals into the chimney starter with the remainder unlit. This is what I'll be trying on Memorial Day with the Kingsford charcoal I just bought. He also shared a helpful tip for early stage testing... about 30 minutes in, place my bare hand on top of the lid. If it's not so hot that I can hold it on there more than a second or two, then crack the lid slightly for 10-15 minutes to get those coals burning hotter.

I'll be reporting back on Monday, hopefully with photos of some first-rate brisket (and pulled pork and whatever else we decide to throw in the PBC).
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe