Author Topic: First try at Baby Backs  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

First try at Baby Backs
« Reply #-1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:25:15 AM »
What a great day!  Then again any day spent on the smoker is a great day!  My Daughter came home from college for the weekend and wanted baby back ribs.  I fired up the smoker at 11:30 this morning and started prepping.  Normally I would have put the rub on the night before but this was a last minute request.  Anyway I washed them, peeled the membrane and rubbed 'em down.  I smoked with Mesquite pellets for 3 hours at 180 and then cranked up to 235 for the remainder of the cook.  8 hours total cook time.  The cook was perfect, they were tender and not dried out (I mopped them twice with a North Carolina Vinegar Sauce recipe courtesy of Steven Raichlin).  My only complaint is that I bought a new pork rub from Costco and it was super salty.  I read the ingredient list AFTER dinner and the number one ingredient was salt.  Other than the salt content they were great.  Next time I will go back to my own rub and use less of it.  I certainly went overboard with the rub.

All-in-all I learned a ton today and am positive the next rib cook will be much better.  The good news is the overall cook and smokiness was perfect.

Also need to stop taking photos with the iPhone - not great shots but you'll get the idea.

Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: First try at Baby Backs
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:33:33 AM »
your 1st try at ribs on you new grill looks great.  8 hours to cook your ribs?  try 275° next time for 3 1/2 - 4 hours.  mesquite it really strong.  i only use it for beef.  do you have some apple.  ribs love apple wood.  great cook partner.    8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:42:40 AM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:35:26 AM »
Great looking ribs SJ!!! You did good on the ribs and the photos aren't too shabby either! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:39:27 AM »
your 1st try at ribs on you new grill look great.  8 hours to cook your ribs?  try 275° next time for 3 1/2 - 4 hours.  mesquite it really strong.  i only use it for beef.  do you have some apple.  ribs love apple wood.  great cook partner.    8)
Hi Sparky!  I do have apple but I am saving it for the 21 pounds of pork butt tomorrow so I used the Mesquite tonight.    We will see how the butts turn out tomorrow.  I liked the smoke flavor in them but would move to apple for the next try and lighten up on the rub.

Thanks for the tips and feedback!   :)
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 01:27:43 AM »
Those ribs look great.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 01:28:16 AM »
your 1st try at ribs on you new grill look great.  8 hours to cook your ribs?  try 275° next time for 3 1/2 - 4 hours.  mesquite it really strong.  i only use it for beef.  do you have some apple.  ribs love apple wood.  great cook partner.    8)
Hi Sparky!  I do have apple but I am saving it for the 21 pounds of pork butt tomorrow so I used the Mesquite tonight.    We will see how the butts turn out tomorrow.  I liked the smoke flavor in them but would move to apple for the next try and lighten up on the rub.

Thanks for the tips and feedback!   :)

Nice looking ribs. Sparky is the rib whisperer - I always try his suggestions and tips.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 09:34:05 AM »
Most commercially made rubs are heavy on the salt! I just used some rub from a major restaurant chain out here in California and it has more salt than seasoned salt ???

You ribs look really good!

But if your ribs took 8 hours how long are your pork butts going to take? :P

Listen to Sparky he is very "rib wise"
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

First try at Baby Backs
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 10:24:36 AM »
Nice looking bones!

I saw that rub at Costco too. Passed on it when I saw the first ingredient. Pretty sure I learned that tip hanging around here with the other delinquents.

8 hours?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »
I hear Y'all on the 8 hour part  :)  it was really by design that it took that long. I did the first 3 at 180 degrees hoping to get some good smoke flavor then ran them at 235. I put the sauce on when they hit 195 internal temp and left for 10 mins (I don't like caramelized BBQ sauce).  They were super tender and we're not dry and had not shrunk off the bone.

Next time I will try the 275 and shorter cooking time for sure.

Just one of the things I love about this forum is the feedback!

Thanks everyone
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »
Nice work on those bones.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline RAD

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 10:45:41 AM »
I don't care how long they took, just call me when they are done.  :P
Love to cook and eat

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
I don't care how long they took, just call me when they are done.  :P

X2  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »
Those ribs look great.   ;)
Agreed,very nice job.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 07:49:15 PM »
Good looking ribs ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.